Olympics: NHL homers think team Russia has KHLers for political reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
First, you haven't shown any thing, in any thread, EVER.

Second, please show me what Russia besides maybe Frolov from the NHL should replace the KHL players. THERE ARE ONLY 25 SOMETHING RUSSIANS IN THE NHL. What don't people understand about that?

Some how with 6% of the worlds players the Russians have depth equal to the 67% of players who come from NA, they are just all hidden in the KHL. Ya right.

5% is better than it used to be, and Russia will have a great team this year, but don't make Russian hockey out to be something it is not.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Some how with 6% of the worlds players the Russians have depth equal to the 67% of players who come from NA, they are just all hidden in the KHL. Ya right.

5% is better than it used to be, and Russia will have a great team this year, but don't make Russian hockey out to be something it is not.

Where did you get 5% from? You still don't get it that a lot of third and fourth liners in the NHL (half of the league) are easily replaceable by anybody from AHL and majority of European leagues. By hockey standards a lot of NHL guys are nobodies. During the lockout a lot of the NHL guys failed to show any sort of respectable game, some just failed and some toiled in Italian and who knows which leagues. Top NHLers are great, but average and below average are nothing to write home about. That's why this 5% is just laughable. If for example there was one professional league in the World with 15 teams filled with the best players from across the Universe, there would be at least 15-20% of Russians.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Where did you get 5% from? You still don't get it that a lot of third and fourth liners in the NHL (half of the league) are easily replaceable by anybody from AHL and majority of European leagues. By hockey standards a lot of NHL guys are nobodies. During the lockout a lot of the NHL guys failed to show any sort of respectable game, some just failed and some toiled in Italian and who knows which leagues. Top NHLers are great, but average and below average are nothing to write home about. That's why this 5% is just laughable. If for example there was one professional league in the World with 15 teams filled with the best players from across the Universe, there would be at least 15-20% of Russians.

Then how can you explain situations like Kevin Dallman (a nobody in the NHL) going over and being a star in the KHL. Or how about Mattias Weinhandl? Did jack in the NHL, star in Europe. That whole Canadian Spengler cup team is composed of NHL rejects, who are thriving in Europe.

But then you have guys like Ikka Pekarainen, Janne Pesonen, Jaroslav Hlinka, Brunnstrom all stars in Europe who have come over and failed. Certainly there are players in Europe who could easily be in the NHL, like Morozov, Jagr, Forsberg, Zaripov or Radulov, but it's not like the majority of players in Europe could crack the NHL when a lot of the very best haven't been able to do so.

Vic Rattlehead*

Then how can you explain situations like Kevin Dallman (a nobody in the NHL) going over and being a star in the KHL. Or how about Mattias Weinhandl? Did jack in the NHL, star in Europe. That whole Canadian Spengler cup team is composed of NHL rejects, who are thriving in Europe.

But then you have guys like Ikka Pekarainen, Janne Pesonen, Jaroslav Hlinka, Brunnstrom all stars in Europe who have come over and failed. Certainly there are players in Europe who could easily be in the NHL, like Morozov, Jagr, Forsberg, Zaripov or Radulov, but it's not like the majority of players in Europe could crack the NHL when a lot of the very best haven't been able to do so.

Shhh....Russia is the only nation in the world that does not have bad players. Every other nation is mediocre compared to the mighty Russia!

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre

Dallman was (and still is) playing for arguably the worst team in the KHL. There is no light at the end of tunnel for that team so Dallman became sort of like a gongshow in Kazakhstan. I mean he is still talented offensively, perhaps poor version of Mike Green, if he played under a right coach like Budro (sp?) he would have had good production in the NHL.

As for Weinhandl, as far as I know he had a terrible ankle in jury 5-6 years ago, which required a major surgery. He can be a great player if given good minutes. That's why he is going to the Olympics too.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Certainly there are players in Europe who could easily be in the NHL, like Morozov, Jagr, Forsberg, Zaripov or Radulov
I could have continued this list for like 100 more names off the top of my head if I wasn't that lazy.
And that whole Canadian Spengler cup team composed of NHL rejects and 1st draft pick lost all their games against KHL teams. Mattias Weinhandl? Great player. He goes to olympics and who knows what level he would have been if not his eye injurie. Kevin Dallman? Looks like Barys Astana have found where he suits more - 4th forward and pp player. And what do you mean by "europe"? There are hundreds of teams in europe. I'm afraid there is no room in nhl for majority of them. :sarcasm:

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I could have continued this list for like 100 more names off the top of my head if I wasn't that lazy.
And that whole Canadian Spengler cup team composed of NHL rejects and 1st draft pick lost all their games against KHL teams. Mattias Weinhandl? Great player. He goes to olympics and who knows what level he would have been if not his eye injurie. Kevin Dallman? Looks like Barys Astana have found where he suits more - 4th forward and pp player. And what do you mean by "europe"? There are hundreds of teams in europe. I'm afraid there is no room in nhl for majority of them. :sarcasm:
I'm sure there would be many more who could crack the NHL, but not that many more who could go there and be as good as they are in Europe.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Then how can you explain situations like Kevin Dallman (a nobody in the NHL) going over and being a star in the KHL.
Or how about NHL star McCabe who was a nobody in HV71?

And why was Lecavalier outscored by Hlinka?

when a lot of the very best haven't been able to do so.
However Artyukhin has. He must have been such a superstar in Russia :sarcasm:

Last edited:

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Siberian had pointed out that was under a different transfer agreement, I am trying to figure out if the agreement to recognize suspensions (which is pointed to in that article about Yashin) is in the transfer agreement or is a separate agreement.
The rules to suspend players was put in place at the last IIHF congress. That's why they could not suspend Radulov despite their claims that they would. Do your research a little better, maybe a good start would be to stop reading NA press. Good luck.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
A player has to be released from their club team to play for the national team, if not they break the terms of their contract and like you said will face fines and suspensions. I don’t believe the IIHF will allow a player to compete in one of their competitions who is suspended by the league they play in.

Do you think for a second that IIHF would turn down Ovechkin and Malkin if they want to participate in their event? Or do they no longer care about sponsorship and viewing audience? :handclap:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I've heard "rumors" that Bykov was ordered to pick a certain numbers of KHLers on the roster.

It was reported by that finn who does commentery on swedish for the finnish TV. I forgot his name.

Anyway, I don't have a personal opinion on the subject. There is definitely some good players in the KHL. I just thought id chip in with what I heard.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
I've heard "rumors" that Bykov was ordered to pick a certain numbers of KHLers on the roster.

It was reported by that finn who does commentery on swedish for the finnish TV. I forgot his name.

Anyway, I don't have a personal opinion on the subject. There is definitely some good players in the KHL. I just thought id chip in with what I heard.

Laughable.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The rules to suspend players was put in place at the last IIHF congress. That's why they could not suspend Radulov despite their claims that they would. Do your research a little better, maybe a good start would be to stop reading NA press. Good luck.

Radulov was suspended by the IIHF and banned from playing but was reinstated because he signed a few days before the agreement to recognize contracts was signed. The IIHF decided there was little legal recourse they could take in that situation and dropped it.

The fact Radulov got off on a technicality proves thing about the potential situation in 2014. It is like if someone committed a crime got off on a technicality that everyone will get the same treatment, it is simply not true. If anything it proves the IIHF doesn’t want players breaking contracts and will enforce penalties on them if they do and can.

All I am arguing is there will be a legal battle. I want NHL players in 2014, but believing players can get up and leave their NHL teams and there isn’t any chance of repercussions outside of a fine is a little naive. The NHL`s reason in possibly not participating in the Olympics is to keep players from going, they want their players in the NHL. If the NHL doesn’t and players threaten to play in the Olympics, the NHL won’t say, `` ok guys, you can do the opposite of what, we, the owners wanted in the first place.`` You can argue that they won’t win such a case, but there will be one over this.

If anyone knows how to defend against Nash, that would be Tyutin. Do I have to say why? :) Plus, they faced each other in Quebec as well.

Well Tyutin-Kalinin vs Marleau-Thornton-Heatley will do just fine ;). My guess is one of those defensemen will be dropped in favour of Zubov

Do you think for a second that IIHF would turn down Ovechkin and Malkin if they want to participate in their event? Or do they no longer care about sponsorship and viewing audience? :handclap:

I am sure they do, but we are talking about the Olympics. The Olympics has billions of dollars worth of sponsorship years before it even happens and large audiences. I don’t think there is much to add to that. I am sure they want them there for the prestige.

Last edited:

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
The fact Radulov got off on a technicality
The fact there was no rule to ban him is hardly a technicality. :shakehead

If anything it proves the IIHF doesn’t want players breaking contracts and will enforce penalties on them if they do and can.
Yeah obviously the fact that they didn't when they had incentive to do so proves that they will when that incentive is gone. The incentive being NHLers taking part in the Olympics.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Kai Kunnas?

Originally Posted by Chileiceman

But then you have guys like Ikka Pekarainen, Janne Pesonen, Jaroslav Hlinka, Brunnstrom all stars in Europe who have come over and failed.

Assuming this means Ilkka Pikkarainen, he was never a star in Europe. He's just a grinder who had a career season last season. He wasn't even picked to play for the national team (because he's a dick and that doesn't go well at the NT). I don't think anyone in Finland was expecting anything more than a 3rd/4th line position from him if he got to play in the NHL.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden

But then you have guys like Ikka Pekarainen, Janne Pesonen, Jaroslav Hlinka, Brunnstrom all stars in Europe who have come over and failed.
Are there two Ilkka Pikkarainens? Or who is this Ikka Pekearainen?

Because Ilkka for sure isn't a star...

Amped

Jul 7, 2009

Wow dude honestly I've never seen you make a single positive post EVER. Every post is just directly attacking some poster, player, league, or journalist. Even in this case when someone clearly more knowledgeable about the subject tells you you're wrong you tell him to "do his research" and post stats as if that validates your argument. Look at John-Michael Liles stats... is he an NHL star too?

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
I think what he is saying is that you lost credibility calling him an "NHL star". McCabe is just very over paid and honestly not very good.

Wasn't he an all-star? Wasn't he on Canadian Olympic team and multiple national teams? I think at that point he could have been considered an NHL star. It just took a long time to expose McCabe in the NHL, and only 10 games in Sweden.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Wow dude honestly I've never seen you make a single positive post EVER. Every post is just directly attacking some poster, player, league, or journalist. Even in this case when someone clearly more knowledgeable about the subject tells you you're wrong you tell him to "do his research" and post stats as if that validates your argument. Look at John-Michael Liles stats... is he an NHL star too?

What are you talking about? Make sense so I can properly respond to it.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
This isn't going anywhere. Thread is down the sewer now. Yes, there are NHL homers. There are KHL homers. We're all aware of that.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad