Post-Game Talk: NHL favors Jerks, Jets lose 4-2

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I thought the refs wer supposed to whistle a play dead if a goalies’ mask comes off. Mask was clearly off before Jarvis even touched the puck.

The way the rule is currently written...

if in the opinion of the ref the goalie is not in immediate danger after losing his helmet , the play will be allowed to continue until the goalie's team gets control of the puck. Once the goalie's team gets control, the play will be blown dead. If , in the opinion of the ref, the goalie is in immediate danger, the play will be blown dead no matter who has control of the puck.

IMO, because the players must leave the ice if they lose their helmets ( new rule this season ) and the goalie obviously can't, the play should be blown dead as soon as the goalie loses his helmet. But, the ref should still be allowed to give a game of delay penalty to the goalie, if the ref deems the goalie deliberately took his helmet off.

I did in fact see this called this season. A goalie had the strap come loose and shook his head until his helmet came off when the opposing team was coming down the ice on a scoring chance. In the refs opinion, the loose strap was not enough to blow the play dead, and the goalie shaking his helmet off was a delay of game.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I didn’t watch the game, but why did Svechnikov get less than four minutes of ice time?
No apparent reason other than his early season success with Dubois and Ehlers clearly had nothing to do with him or his abilities to play up the lineup (sarc). The latest flavor of the day, be it Barron, Sanford, Brooks are all favored by Lowry for reasons that us non-professionals can't comprehend.

IOW he did nothing wrong but the current coaching staff views him as not a valued member of the team, so he gets to grind away for four minutes.

There's elements of truth to what I wrote and elements of sarcasm in there, but i think the (mis-) use of Svechnikov is easily in my top five "what the hell are you guys doing behind the bench" questions I have. I have no compunctions saying we here on HFJets probably overrated him to an extent in his early tenure with 80/27 and he's maybe not a true top six guy. At the same time though he's bounced down a lot and when given the opportunity to get back with those guys he's looked like he belonged again.

I don't hate Barron or Sanford or Brooks, but based on their play thus far, of which we've seen quite a lot, I don't believe they are the better choice up there. It's almost like the Jets coaching staff are trying to lose or drive Svech out. Which is frankly idiotic because the kid can play a good game, won't cost a fortune and is a very nice pickup of potentially a late bloomer for, well, nothing.

Somewhat facetiously I halfway expect the Jets to let Svech walk and keep their other new toys. Svech will get picked up by some other organization and will come back to burn us badly. He'll have a good, middle six career that lasts maybe ten more years and will be valued by his new team that will wonder, much as we did with Detroit, why he didn't stick.

My comments seem to echo many Detroit fans comments when we grabbed him. Given my/our comments are the same as Detroit fans it makes me wonder if there's not something in the background we just don't get. Maybe teammates hate him and he rubs them the wrong way, but his mic'd sessions sure don't give that impression. I've heard more rumors about Heinola not being liked than I have Svech, so I have no idea.

It's one of the truly baffling situations throughout the season.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
This guy is pretty good. The defensive effort from most of the forwards is pretty abysmal but I think it would be better if they knew what they were supposed to be doing.

He is pretty bang on. Like watching the Moose play and then watching the Jets its pretty apparent the NHL guys just don't give a f*** and it filters through the entire time. Moose are exactly like Carolina, they buzz and are hard on every puck and every battle in front of the net and in corners. They are constantly out shooting teams by a lot because of it.

The amount of fly buys and guys just wandering all over the ice for the Jets is pretty awful. I would rather lose by working and following a system then win by your goalie standing his head and your skill winning out

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
This guy is pretty good. The defensive effort from most of the forwards is pretty abysmal but I think it would be better if they knew what they were supposed to be doing.

He is pretty bang on. Like watching the Moose play and then watching the Jets its pretty apparent the NHL guys just don't give a f*** and it filters through the entire time. Moose are exactly like Carolina, they buzz and are hard on every puck and every battle in front of the net and in corners. They are constantly out shooting teams by a lot because of it.

The amount of fly buys and guys just wandering all over the ice for the Jets is pretty awful. I would rather lose by working and following a system then win by your goalie standing his head and your skill winning out

I find most of it interesting and entertaining. Actually, I wish we had more folks on here who had the talent (I don't) to make short clips so we could go over plays.

Agree on his comments of effort, and the flybys and brain farts.

The only thing that I wonder with in regards to his comments is that he seems to want to perpetuate the M2M defensive system. Maybe I'm wrong, but he points out a lot where a Jets player "lost his man". I can understand that regardless of M2M or not, you can have a man and lose him, but I also don't want our guys chasing other players around our D zone because he was at one point "their man".

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Flybys by Jets forwards has been a thing for many a year, it just seems that many of them would rather not engage with the other teams D. I'm not saying you need to run the opposition thru the boards but taking out the D man can make them make mistakes leading to scoring chances

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We could also lose more with them. You can’t just assume one or the other to fit whatever your argument is.

:laugh: Sure I can.
Yes, we might lose even more - but I think those players are better than the ones who would likely sit if they were in. So we would be more likely to win more. But in a 4 game sample? Who knows? But at least we would likely see players play with more energy and enthusiasm.

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
Following the Jets the last few years feels like watching episodes 1-3 of Star Wars. Palpatine is there the whole time and the audience all knows it but the characters are totally blind to what's happening. They discover great young talent and everything looks positive, then fast forward a few years and Laine is rolling around in lava while Scheifele screams "you were supposed to be the chosen one!", Wheeler gives birth to twins and Charlie Huddy becomes ruler of the galaxy.

I did not watch the game.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Following the Jets the last few years feels like watching episodes 1-3 of Star Wars. Palpatine is there the whole time and the audience all knows it but the characters are totally blind to what's happening. They discover great young talent and everything looks positive, then fast forward a few years and Laine is rolling around in lava while Scheifele screams "you were supposed to be the chosen one!", Wheeler gives birth to twins and Charlie Huddy becomes ruler of the galaxy.

I did not watch the game.

Who’s Jar Jar and Yoda? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad