GDT: NHL Draft R1 (6/28): 6pm CT (ESPN), R2-7 (6/29): 10am CT (NHLN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Okay I wasn't naked I had boxers. Also that was in my hotel room.
tumblr_mdbf29BsIE1rkljy3o1_400.gif

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Wabit

May 23, 2016
She...would be sad she wasn't there to take pictures. But I was in the hotel after walking a mile in 95+ weather with high humidity. I lost a bunch of weight.

Just tell the kids you were naked. Their happiness of not having to see it will offset the wife's sadness. Right?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
What draft grade would you give the Wild?

Pronman gave* a C+. He liked Stramel and Heidt. He thought Kumpulainen was taken too early.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
What draft grade would you give the Wild?

Pronman have a C+. He liked Stramel and Heidt. He thought Kumpulainen was taken too early.

I'd give it a B, given that Minnesota didn't have a ton of draft picks. I like Kumps, because I feel like he got lost in the mix and he is a pretty young guy that is still learning. Stramel is a high floor, low ceiling guy but I feel like he'd compliment the team well. And I love taking the gamble on Heidt. The rest are...meh.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
C+ sounds about right for initial reaction. We didn’t get any home runs. Some projects. I like that we went center specific but with our pick position I can see why we would get a lower grade. I’m unbothered by it though. These kids are too young to rank at this point considering how much most of them will change in two years time.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

P10p

May 15, 2012
Don't agree that Stramel is a necessarily low ceiling guy. Was looked at very highly and dropped due to bad team and gotta think that losing your father affects performance across any job. If anything I feel he has a higher ceiling than most if he comes back and shows what he has in the past.

Reactions: Minnewildsota

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Pronman's grades for the Wild by year since he began:

2015: B-
2016: C+
2017: B-
2018: C
2019: B
2020: B+
2021: B

2015 and 2017 were graded the same. NHLers from...
2015: Kaprizov, JEE, Greenway.
2017: Mason Shaw (if he can get and stay healthy).
I have no idea what he was thinking grading 2017 a B-, even after reading his explanation.
2019 and 2021 were graded the same as well, but are too recent to make a judgement on.

Of the drafts where he gave some level of "C", since that's relevant to us today, we got...
2016: Kunin and Duhaime
2018: McBain and Dewar
Those are both significantly better than 2017's B-.

It seems evident to me that his grades have no predictive power. He has an obvious system whereby he gives lottery teams A's, and everyone else B's and C's (in rare circumstances D's, if they had few picks, and all outside the first 2 rounds). This means that he gets a lot right, like the A- 2016 Flames draft class, but gets a lot of them wrong too, like the A- 2016 Oilers draft class.

"Fun" fact, he gave the 2016 Canucks a B+ on the strength of their Juolevi pick. He gave the 2020 Wild a B+ on the strength of their Rossi pick. Both draft teams were led by Judd Brackett and both lottery picks have struggled.
(Before anyone says anything, I'm aware Brackett left Vancouver because, I've been told, his draft decisions were being overrode by the GM. That doesn't change the fact.)

Also, sorry that I'm a square.

Reactions: Minnesota

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
C+ seems fair to me.
Fair for me, personally I would be closer to a B- but C+ is not a big diff. I think it did a solid job meeting our needs without any breathtaking issues (like Simashev at #6), but at the same time, none of the picks I feel are huge steals either. I don't see a Spacek/Khusnutdinov type in this group and on paper, Heidt is excellent value at #64 but I always came away lukewarm watching his scouting videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Fair for me, personally I would be closer to a B- but C+ is not a big diff. I think it did a solid job meeting our needs without any breathtaking issues (like Simashev at #5), but at the same time, none of the picks I feel are huge steals either. I don't see a Spacek/Khusnutdinov type in this group and on paper, Heidt is excellent value at #64 but I always came away lukewarm watching his scouting videos.
You mean Reinbacher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia