GDT: NHL Draft R1 (6/28): 6pm CT (ESPN), R2-7 (6/29): 10am CT (NHLN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

The 2023 NHL Draft will be held on Wednesday, June 28 and Thursday, June 29 at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn. The first round begins at 6 p.m. (CT) on June 28 on ESPN and rounds 2-7 will take place on June 29 starting at 10 a.m. (CT) on the NHL Network.

Wild.com draft preview
Wild draft guide (pdf)

Wild picks:
Round 1:
21: Charlie Stramel
Charlie Stramel at eliteprospects.com

Round 2:
53: Rasmus Kumpulainen
Rasmus Kumpulainen at eliteprospects.com
64 (Greenway trade): Riley Heidt
Riley Heidt at eliteprospects.com

Round 3:
85 (D-Lo trade):
Yegor Sidorov at eliteprospects.com (just FYI so if he turns into something we can all cry, ANA made the pick)

Round 4:
117: (Sunqvist trade)
Larry Keenan at eliteprospects.com (FYI again, DET made the pick)

Round 5:
149: Aaron Pionk
Aaron Pionk at eliteprospects.com

Round 6 :
181: Kalem Parker
Kalem Parker at eliteprospects.com

Round 7:
213: Jimmy Clark
Jimmy Clark at eliteprospects.com

pokemon-poke-ball.gif

Lets Go Wild

Putting this up a little early. I (or a mod, hopefully) will try and update this top post as things happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: TaLoN

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Expectations or predictions for today?

Expectation:
-We will pick a center in the 1st round

Prediction:
-Calum Ritchie at #21
-Addison + 2nd to move into the late 1st round (picks 26-32) to pick a replacement RD in Bonk or Strbak

Dark Horse Prediction:
-Gus+Addison to Pittsburgh for #14+2024 2nd

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Expectation:

Prediction:
-Calum Ritchie at #21
-Addison + 2nd to move into the late 1st round (picks 26-32) to pick a replacement RD in Bonk or Strbak

Dark Horse Prediction:
Expectation is that we're quiet. Just make our pick at #21.

Your dark horse prediction would annoy me very much.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Expectation is that we're quiet. Just make our pick at #21.

Your dark horse prediction would annoy me very much.
I could see it happening. I don't think the value is that far off. Gus might have slightly less value than #14 and Addison slighlty more value than a future 2nd. It nixes any cap troubles we have this offseason and, if we draft a Danielson or Moore, add a nice prospect to the center pool.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I could see it happening. I don't think the value is that far off. Gus might have slightly less value than #14 and Addison slighlty more value than a future 2nd. It nixes any cap troubles we have this offseason and, if we draft a Danielson or Moore, add a nice prospect to the center pool.
I'm not saying the value is off. I just don't think it's the right time to jettison a non-Fleury goalie.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I'm not saying the value is off. I just don't think it's the right time to jettison a non-Fleury goalie.
Completely agree with this. Unless Gus is being outrageous with his contract demands, it doesn’t feel wise to risk everything on Wallstedt.

Now if a team calls calling with a Top 10 pick in a straight up trade, then yeah that’s obviously something I’d be fine with.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Completely agree with this. Unless Gus is being outrageous with his contract demands, it doesn’t feel wise to risk everything on Wallstedt.

Now if a team calls calling with a Top 10 pick in a straight up trade, then yeah that’s obviously something I’d be fine with.
What if it's #14 straight up?

I'd pull the trigger on that. Gus is fantastic, but our system tends to make goaltenders look good and this could be an opportunity to sell high.

Reactions: MNRube

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

I'd pull the trigger on that. Gus is fantastic, but our system tends to make goaltenders look good and this could be an opportunity to sell high.
My problem with this is that it’s true until it isn’t. For #14 overall though, I think I’d probably make that trade but I wouldn’t be in love with it. Goalie is just a position that I feel like you don’t screw around with when you’ve got something that works.

Gus showed in Game 1 that he can steal a playoff game. The rest of his playoffs were mediocre, but this team has desperately needed to find a goalie that can pull their own weight in the playoffs.

I don’t see any reason they can’t sign him to a 1-year bridge or a 3-4 year contract and then if he has another .920 SV%+ season, trade him at that point.

It all comes down to contract demands though. I’d personally rather have Gus locked up for 6 years @ $4M AAV than the #14.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Not every player needs to be "sold high". Sometimes it's best strategy to just accumulate good players.

Wallstedt is still a complete unknown, and if Gus is good, he's still going to be in his prime coming out of the buyouts.

I'm also completely unconvinced that he'll get anything close to a lottery pick when Hellebuyck is still out there, and with his extremely limited equity in the league.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta

Expectation:

Prediction:
-Calum Ritchie at #21

Dark Horse Prediction:
I predict we trade up, and Addison is gone.

Reactions: 57special

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Not every player needs to be "sold high". Sometimes it's best strategy to just accumulate good players.

Wallstedt is still a complete unknown, and if Gus is good, he's still going to be in his prime coming out of the buyouts.

I'm also completely unconvinced that he'll get anything close to a lottery pick when Hellebuyck is still out there, and with his extremely limited equity in the league.
I think it’s conceivable that some teams would prefer the 24yo goalie, even with the small track record, just entering his prime over the 30yo goalie that’s going to try and set record for goalie contracts. It’s 50/50 with these goalies after 30. Maelstrom just signed a big deal and he looks done. I think Gus has a lot of value out there right now, but I agree it doesn’t make sense to trade him. Sign him to a 1 year deal, let him have another good season and further grow his value, then move him next year if Wallstedt continues to look like the real deal.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
My prediction is that when centers in the tier in front of them start coming off the board they try and trade one or both of their current second round picks to move up. They know they have depth in terms of prospects; they need the top end guys. I think they want a 2nd for Addison, but I also feel like they would move him for a high 3rd at the end of the day.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

It should be noted that I have full faith in Wallstedt. I think he is NHL ready right now and that his AHL stats are misleading. So that's where I am coming from.

While I agree it's best to accumulate good players, we also need to accumulate them in the right positions. Specifically, center or RD. I don't find it to be any sort of shock that we can't win a playoff series when our top line center is Hartman. Eriksson Ek is a good long term 2C, but we need to keep picking prospects with the idea that one will turn into a 1C or at least a 2C. It's bound to happen eventually.

Hellebuyck is one year away from free agency and looking to get paid. Gus is expected to get anywhere from $3.5M to $4.5M on a 2-3 year deal.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
My prediction is that when centers in the tier in front of them start coming off the board they try and trade one or both of their current second round picks to move up. They know they have depth in terms of prospects; they need the top end guys. I think they want a 2nd for Addison, but I also feel like they would move him for a high 3rd at the end of the day.
I would be shocked if they do this. Addison is want you want your 2nd rounders to turn out to be....a NHL'er who will probably have a long career ahead of him. He is more the exception than the rule. IMO, he is worth a late 1st at least, partly because of the above, and partly because he is a RHD. All this despite Dean and BG seemingly conspiring to drive down his value with negative comments about him in the press.... never fails to amaze me how they will dump on a 22 yo, but will cut their tongue out rather than criticize veteran players.

Trading him for a 3rd would be an awful piece of business.

As to the draft - my view is that we need to get at least two C's in the first two rounds, unless there is a player from another position who is so far above the others that they have to pick him. Once you get past the first 4 C's, to me the tiers are, roughly;

- Dvorsky, Danielson, Moore(?)

- Yager, Stenberg, Ritchie, Edstrom, Heidt

- Stramel, Brindley, Wahlberg, Rekopf, Molgaard, Nelson

- Sawchyn, Lind, Perron, Whitelaw, some Finnish dude

If we get one from the second group, and one from the third i'll be satisfied. Happy if we get one from the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th group, but if there is a good RHD available like Strbak in the 2nd then you have to grab him. Whatever D we get in the first two rounds needs to be RH, and be over 6'. In the later rounds I want them to pick some giant Dmen - our version of Clague, Whitecloud, and McNabb.

I have very little hope that we will trade up into the first group, and i don't think that we should spend much trading capital to do so. I don't think any of them are pegged to be 1st line talent, and i can easily see Ritchie being as good Danielson, Yager being as good as Moore, etc. In other words, i would rather that we have an other early 2nd for Addison than use him and 21st to get Danielson. I would rather have Ritchie and Edstrom/Heidt.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
@57special I've seen a couple of mock drafts with Heidt falling into the 40s. Wheeler had him going #43 to Detroit.
People are worried about his lack of size and weight, but he was measured at the combine at 5'10 1/2" which 1/2" less than Moore. He's 180, but still looks young to me, and will probably pack on lbs, and possibly a bit of height, as opposed to a guy like Rossi who was maxed out, sadly, in junior.

Ideally, we take a bigger guy like Ritchie/Edstrom, then gamble on a smaller skilled guy like Heidt later on, though i don't think he'll fall to 53 where we will be picking.

Brindley is amazing, but only 5'8", and is highly unlikely to end up as a C in the NHL. Would take him with our pick at 64 if he's still around.

Reactions: Digitalbooya
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad