NHL 18 Information/Discussion Thread | Part II

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Is it just me or is this gameplay glitchy for anyone else? I have only played a few games so I don't know how to explicitly describe it. Something is just off.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
What is with the Friday release anyway? I can't remember an NHL game being released on anything other than a Tuesday.

Basically the Young Stars version is on the 'normal' release day and everyone else just has to wait 3 days to make it seem like the YS version was an 'early' release.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Is it just me or is this gameplay glitchy for anyone else? I have only played a few games so I don't know how to explicitly describe it. Something is just off.

Yeah, I'm getting a weird graphical lag issue right now. Players are freezing up on rebound shots and warping through the defensive skill stick. It looks weird when it happens too.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Is 18 an improvement as far as gameplay goes over 17?

I really haven't liked any of the "next-gen" NHL games (15 onward). My copy of NHL 14 on PS3 was perfect IMO. Skating had appropriate weight to it, the puck didn't have the janky "physics" yet. NHL 15 on the PS4 and onward all feel a bit too arcade-y (faster, less thought involved, more unrealistic).

Based on the trailers I'm assuming 18 probably won't be more "realistic" than 17... but I'm a huge deker in these games. I go for the highlight reel play 99% of the time. So if 18 is unanimously agreed to be more fun/better developed than 17 and prior, I can get behind that.

Last edited:

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany

I really haven't liked any of the "next-gen" NHL games (15 onward). My copy of NHL 14 on PS3 was perfect IMO. Skating had appropriate weight to it, the puck didn't have the janky "physics" yet. NHL 15 on the PS4 and onward all feel a bit too arcade-y (faster, less thought involved, more unrealistic).

Based on the trailers I'm assuming 18 probably won't be more "realistic" than 17... but I'm a huge deker in these games. I go for the highlight reel play 99% of the time. So if 18 is unanimously agreed to be more fun/better developed than 17 and prior, I can get behind that.

What? NHL 14 had the horrible bouncing puck. Legacy is the best old gen NHL since it is basically NHL 14 with a lot of flaws (puck physics, monster hits, AI offisdes) balanced out.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
What? NHL 14 had the horrible bouncing puck. Legacy is the best old gen NHL since it is basically NHL 14 with a lot of flaws (puck physics, monster hits, AI offisdes) balanced out.
Respectfully disagree. Having tried Legacy, I can say within one or two games I was back to 14. Almost entirely because of the headache I got from the pucks randomness. I thought it was pretty clear they were trying to recreate the "physics" of NHL 15's new engine on PS4/Xbox One in the old PS3/Xbox 360 engine... and they did a great job, because it was awful. :laugh:

Last edited:

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com

I'd say it is. Less stupid players, players no longer have super human puck control, defensive skill stick makes it easier to play actual D, less unrealistic hits. It's also easier to bank passes off the boards.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Played 4 franchise games so far on the simulation(IIRC) and between All star and the hardest level. Seems to be a tad better than 17, which I couldn't get into at all.

I will say, small sample size, that there is a boatload of penalties so far. I'm not a poke check spammer, but 3-4 times I've been called for a trip but the stick was no where near the CPU player or he didn't react at all to being "tripped". I had 8 penalties in one period.
That game took forever.

Do enjoy the spread between 4th line and 1st line players. Can tell when playing as a 4th liner and going up against a 4th liner.

Still debating on whether or not to buy, but so far I like it more than 17, which I didn't buy.

Think reading reviews on if the draft is actually fixed/players progressing from their CHL ratings will play a role.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Lord help me if they still have that one commentary bit for when the puck goes over the glass:

"and a young lady from Shawinigan appears to have gotten that one" (or something like that, I try to block it out)

Stupid in NHL 16, and they STILL recycled it for 17! Am I the only one who noticed that?

They will say it in a random game between Tampa and the Dallas Stars. Makes zero sense. How can the announcer even tell where she is from? Is she wearing a Shawinigan jersey at an NHL game? Why ?

they've had that in the game for more than just the last 2 years. I haven't heard it yet this year. It was less common last year, especially to start the year.

You can always just turn commentary off. The only reason I leave it on is for streaming my league games.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Little things I'm hopeful to find out actually came true: Updated profile pictures, the announcer saying all the players names, and a new Stanley Cup celebration. More unlikely, generated profile pictures for rookies, and slider that make the computer shoot the puck more.

I'm expecting to be disappointed on all unfortunately. :laugh:

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I like the new HUB for Franchise mode. Takes me back a little to old gen. Now if only we could sim to a certain date from the HUB screen instead of going to the calendar - I would be 100% pleased

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Is the random pass into the sideboards still present or did they finally fix that?

Passing is A LOT better, and if your passing into the boards it's because your aiming there or not to the intended target...tho I'll definitely agree 17 passing sucked.

18 if you pass towards the boards it doesn't do the same as 17 as 18 allows real bank passes off the boards now. It's a lot better and improved.

My only passing complaint is when your behind the net and you want to hit the guy closest in slot to you, you have to be deadly accurate or it will hit the guy in the middle or opposite side of net. Which could be because my aim wasn't precise but that's the only time I'm like UGH! with passing.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Passing is A LOT better, and if your passing into the boards it's because your aiming there or not to the intended target...tho I'll definitely agree 17 passing sucked.

18 if you pass towards the boards it doesn't do the same as 17 as 18 allows real bank passes off the boards now. It's a lot better and improved.

My only passing complaint is when your behind the net and you want to hit the guy closest in slot to you, you have to be deadly accurate or it will hit the guy in the middle or opposite side of net. Which could be because my aim wasn't precise but that's the only time I'm like UGH! with passing.

Well, I was referring to the passing glitch when you're trying to pass across the ice and instead your player shotguns the puck in the opposite direction.

So if there's none of that, that's truly excellent news. Its been a problem since at least NHL 16

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
Is anyone else having to reset their controls every single time they turn their game on? I keep turning auto back-skate off and goalie precision off and it never saves.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
One thing I'll say: I'm having a tough time scoring on the AI or generating offense on All Star.

Agreed, the HUT challenges on higher difficulties are definitely giving me issues.

Superstar is insane. I can barely win a faceoff.

They really did improve the AI and higher difficulties you gotta be really on your game. It's not easy to score and not easy to control of the play. I had a hard time setting up and cycling the puck because their defense is all over you, you have to react really fast to move the puck or it's a turnover. You have to be good at defense and you have to time things and passes properly or else they take total advantage. It's honestly a nice change from dominating them on higher difficulites.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
So when I get the game on Friday at midnight I want to do 32 team franchise so two ezpansion teams... My question is do we get a chance to redo the conference for example i want to do say Hartford whalers and Quebec or Vegas and Quebec so if i did Hartford and Quebec both teams would be in east or Vegas and Quebec one east and one west or no matter what both teams must be in west conference in the game?

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Well, I was referring to the passing glitch when you're trying to pass across the ice and instead your player shotguns the puck in the opposite direction.

So if there's none of that, that's truly excellent news. Its been a problem since at least NHL 16

You are letting go of your left stick too quickly and it is making you pass it in the opposite direction. My cousin was having the same problem and he figured that's what he was doing. Hold your pass direction for a little longer until the pass leaves your stick and this problem should go away.

Is anyone else having to reset their controls every single time they turn their game on? I keep turning auto back-skate off and goalie precision off and it never saves.

Guys I play club with have had auto back skate reset to on eery game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad