Next years potential line-up

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Only if nylander can accept a bridge deal .hes more kadri than all star IMO

I agree. I thought for sure it was going to be Nylander > Marner. Looks like I was very wrong... so far anyways. Willie needs to compete like Marner and then watch out!

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I don't believe for a second they will trade Nylander for a D. Everyone says this, but you've gotta keep the big 3.
Gardiner, yeah given his contract situation he may need to go.
I’m good either way. But why do they have to keep the big 3? If they can trade him for a young stud defenceman you have to look at that.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Carrick/Liljegren as potential RHD when Tanev gets injured.
Still not understanding the Tanev obsession among Leaf Fans. Do we really so desperately miss having a defenseman regularly stationed on Robidas Island that we are willing to give anything up to have one to put there? I'm sure there are cheaper options than spend $4.5 million a year to provide Tanev a deckhouse there.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Still not understanding the Tanev obsession among Leaf Fans. Do we really so desperately miss having a defenseman regularly stationed on Robidas Island that we are willing to give anything up to have one to put there? I'm sure there are cheaper options than spend $4.5 million a year to provide Tanev a deckhouse there.

It simply comes down to the reality that defensively, he is probably the best D in the league. That's our main weakness. Due to games missed, he'd be cheaper than a comparable. In my example, he's there until Liljegren and or Dobson would be ready... (Plenty of assumptions made to get there)

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I’m good either way. But why do they have to keep the big 3? If they can trade him for a young stud defenceman you have to look at that.
And then our stud becomes Hall, and the stud we get becomes Larsson.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Leivo - Gauthier - Brown

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Holl/Borgman/Rosen

Andersen
McElhinney

Cap hit: 67,340.833 (includes Nathan Horton's 5.3 million)
Space: 12,659,167

We can even keep Martin for some heavy lifting/press box role. I think that 4th line needs some playing time. We saw the need for some big bodies and that 4th line can play increased minutes if required. A big cycle line to complement the more skilled lines.

Plenty of cap space to give Marner and Matthews their raises next year as long as some creative accounting is done. Maybe Marleau does retire to free up some cap space. Who knows. This line-up can work. Keep running out the new kids every year and this can work. Sort of a Pittsburgh model if you wish.
I like it except for the D. If this playoff series has shown us anything it is that our D is not good enough. Can’t count on Zaitsev bouncing back. Never been a huge fan and don’t think he’s anything more than a #5

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Instead of thinking about things in loose hypotheticals, draw up a list "young stud defensemen" and I think you'll find that you're not likely to find a young stud defenseman who is available or has equivalent value to Nylander.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
:biglaugh: you think ****ing Babcock would employ those lines? Try

Komarov-Matthews-Brown
Marleau-Plekanec-Nylander
Hyman-Bozak-Marner
Johnsson-Moore-Kapanen

And then the Babcult will tell us how we shouldn't question the führer. FYI, this is what I'd go with:

Grundstrom-Matthews-Marner
Johnsson-Nylander-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Hyman
Leivo-FA 4th line C*-Brown

* A good enough player that we don't have to spend another ****ing 2nd rounder on

YES YES YES. (TO yours).

Reactions: MR4

member 262271

This is the only thread I can give any sort of comment on. Let the UFAS go, I wanna see what Johnsson/Kappy/Grundstrom have. You'd have to think Korshkov starts in the A if he comes over, but who knows. Also, give Engvall an ELC.

great

Apr 14, 2018
Next year I want to see a Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen line
I wanted to see this in today's game, but it won't happen :(
Also would be nice if Leivo came in next year. I like a lot of the suggestions you guys are giving, but I also think Nylander will be good in centre.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Ideally?

Grundstrom - Matthews - Marner -> I think Grundstrom makes the team out of camp and he will surprise many people. Good hands, good down low, can finish and good vision.

Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen -> Both wingers have shown their talent and they're fast. This line would burn weaker pairings.

Hyman - Kadri - Brown -> Hyman and Brown sync really well with Kadri's style of play and are good defensively giving a solid all around line that can grind and protect leads.

Marleau - Aaltonen - Engvall -> Marleau has been underwhelming for a while. Spread him to the 4th line to get weaker match ups. Aaltonen PKs and has been playing well and Engvall is torching since coming over.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Babcock will do his standard line template of a defensive work horse, offensive catalyst and two-way forward

Hyman - Matthews - Kapanen
Johnsson - Nylander - Brown
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Leivo - XXXX - XXXX

Rielly - XXXX
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Andersen

My guess as of right now

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
This team needs a #1 D and a couple of big, tough vets that can also play the game.

I also forsee Bozak gone and Jumbo Joe signing here for a 1 year - obviously playing with Marleau on his wing.

Last edited:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Sign John Tavares $9.1 million x 7

Leafs - Flames
William Nylander (C)
for
Matthew Tkachuk (W)

Leafs - Canucks
1st 2018, Connor Brown
for
Chris Tanev

Leafs - Blues
Nazem Kadri, Nikita Zaitsev, 2nd
for
Colton Parayko, Patrik Berglund

Leafs -
Jake Gardiner
for
Max Domi, 2nd

Tkachuk - - Matthews - - Kapanen
Marleau - - - Tavares - - - - Marner
Domi - - - - Berglund - - - - Hyman
Grundstrom - Gauthier - Johnsson

Leivo/Martin/

Rielly - - - Parayko
Dermott - - - Tanev
Borgman - Hainsey

Carrick/Holl/Rosen/Liljegren

FredEx
McBackup/Pickard/Sparks

PP1
(1:30/2)

Matthews - Tavares - Hyman
Rielly - Marner

PP2 (0:30/2)

Domi - Marleau - Johnsson
Dermott - Kapanen

PK1 (1:20/2)

Berglund - Kapanen
Hainsey - Tanev

PK2 (0:40/2)

Hyman - Johnsson
Rielly - Parayko

C - Matthews
A - Tavares
A - Rielly

Matthews Line:

Grinding, Cycle Line that Can Maintain the Forecheck while playing top Competition similar to the Bergeron Line

Tavares Line:
Pure Offence, no slouch defensively either though

Berglund Line
Shut Down Line, Plays with an edge, good on the cycle, can play anyone

Marlies Line:
Big, Fast, Skilled 4th Line that can chip in offensively, would have to be sheltered, play <under 10 mins/night, Johnny gets extra shifts higher in the line up depending on situation

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Couldn't care less what they are next year atm, sorry.

Just don't want to see the following players back in any capacity.

1. Komarov
2. JvR
3. Polak
4. Bozak
5. Plekanec

It also depends on who our GM will be, if Lou stays on I can see 3 of the 5 coming back.

Amen !!!!

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
upload_2018-4-17_4-54-1.png

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Sign John Tavares $9.1 million x 7

Leafs - Flames
William Nylander (C)
for
Matthew Tkachuk (W)

Leafs - Canucks
1st 2018, Connor Brown
for
Chris Tanev

Leafs - Blues
Nazem Kadri, Nikita Zaitsev, 2nd
for
Colton Parayko, Patrik Berglund

Leafs -
Jake Gardiner
for
Max Domi, 2nd

Tkachuk - - Matthews - - Kapanen
Marleau - - - Tavares - - - - Marner
Domi - - - - Berglund - - - - Hyman
Grundstrom - Gauthier - Johnsson

Leivo/Martin/

Rielly - - - Parayko
Dermott - - - Tanev
Borgman - Hainsey

Carrick/Holl/Rosen/Liljegren

FredEx
McBackup/Pickard/Sparks

PP1
(1:30/2)

Matthews - Tavares - Hyman
Rielly - Marner

PP2 (0:30/2)

Domi - Marleau - Johnsson
Dermott - Kapanen

PK1 (1:20/2)

Berglund - Kapanen
Hainsey - Tanev

PK2 (0:40/2)

Hyman - Johnsson
Rielly - Parayko

C - Matthews
A - Tavares
A - Rielly

Matthews Line:

Grinding, Cycle Line that Can Maintain the Forecheck while playing top Competition similar to the Bergeron Line

Tavares Line:
Pure Offence, no slouch defensively either though

Berglund Line
Shut Down Line, Plays with an edge, good on the cycle, can play anyone

Marlies Line:
Big, Fast, Skilled 4th Line that can chip in offensively, would have to be sheltered, play <under 10 mins/night, Johnny gets extra shifts higher in the line up depending on situation

Too many trades. Not going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad