Next Year's Line up

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Kinda wanna see Labate-Gaunce-Cramarossa on the 4th line next year... or even sub Sutter in the middle.. and move Gaunce up to the 3rd line.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
My hope for the Canucks' 2017-18 Line up:

L1: Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
L2: D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Goldobin
L3: Granlund - Sutter - Eriksson
L4: Labate - Chaput - Virtanen
EF: Dorsett , Gaunce

D1: Edler - Stecher
D2: Hutton - Tanev
D3: Tryamkin - Gudbranson
Extras: Biega

Goalie: Markstrom, Bachman (or another veteran backup)

Notes:
1) I want Goldobin to be with the Sedins because he's a lot faster than the Sedins and maybe learn off of the Sedins' professional attitude and defensive habits. Sedins can now pull their socks up abit more and be more defensively responsible.. Stay back a bit more.
2) I don't want Boeser anywhere near the Sedins as it'll **** his drive-to-the-net attitude. Boeser needs to build chemistry around our next top pairing Bae-Bo.
3) I'm assuming Sbisa gets picked by VGK
4) If Gaunce or Chaput gets picked, I'll re-sign Drew Shore to be the C4 or equivalent or mold Cole Cassels into that role.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
My guess is...

Baertschi-Horvat-Goldobin
Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Granlund-Sutter-f1
f2-f3-f4
Dorsett

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Tanev
Gudbranson-Tryamkin
Pedan/Biega

Markstrom
G1

G1 - Probably someone with experience who's willing/looking to be a 1B goalie. That could be Miller but realistically i would prefer someone younger.

Defense is basically set unless we make some trades (quite possible) but with Benning its pretty hard to predict what he trades or what he gets back (actually next to impossible, even those of us that guess he would trade Hansen/Burrows, i don't think anyone could predict the returns or how much he actually got back in terms of actual prospect vs picks).

The forward spots are still up in the air for me (a lot more than other spots) because being realistic, the rest of the season now is basically like pre-season for us. Gaunce would be locked for 1 of the f2-f4 spots IF Vegas picks him instead of Sbisa (in which case, Sbisa adds to the D core and Pedan would be in Utica/another team).

If Rodin gets resigned, i hope he'll get the F1 spot but that spot is likely locked for Boeser (assuming he signs). Boeser probably would move up the line-up over the course of the season but i would start him on the 3rd line just so he doesn't have a lot of pressure at the start. Quite possible (and likely) to switch him with Goldobin/Eriksson. If Boeser signs then, its unlikely we'll resign Rodin to play on the 4th line but i guess its possible. Rodin is interesting in that even tho he pretty much didn't play (at the level he could at least), he has a lot of offensive upside/potential and we could use that... problem is he hasn't proven a thing in the NHL and he won't be able to do that on the 4th line (unless we go with a skill 4th line for once?).

The other forwards Cramarossa, Shore, Skillie, Boucher, Chaput, and Megna likely are all playing now for contracts. The best of them would likely form our 4th line next year (add Gaunce as a lock if he's still here). That's basically 2 spots for 6 players tho its possible we sign 1 or more of them for Utica too (after all Utica lacks forwards too).

Of course Grenier will count as a "vet" next year in the AHL and considering he's the top scorer in Utica, he should be a priority for them (probably non-NHL contract) so it might reduce the need to sign more than 1 of the above for Utica (likely Chaput who was productive while he was there).

Out of those players, my guess is Cramarossa will be most likely win a spot. He's probably the most physical out of the bunch and our top 3 line isn't all that physical. Boucher would be a good pick if we went with a skill 4th line (that's if we sign Rodin too, a 4th line of Boucher-Gaunce-Rodin would be great but i doubt we go that route). Skillie has been solid and i wouldn't mind him back on the 4th line.

Megna has speed but really he's a AHLer so i hope he isn't back except maybe in Utica. Chaput is fine as an injury replacement (so again Utica) tho i would prefer him over Megna. Given our lack of C depth @ AHL level, it makes a lot more sense ot keep Chaput @ the AHL level than Megna.

I left Dorsett as an extra because he'll be coming off a major injury. He's still under contract and i doubt we go the buyout route so he'll likely be still on the roster. If he's healthy, i guess he could be an upgrade over Skillie (not worth the money but if we're paying him anyways...). As a 4th liner, i guess Dorsett is fine (despite being paid as a low 2nd/high 3rd liner). We're basically stuck with the bad contract for another 1.5 years and there's really no way around it unless Vegas wants to take him as a cap dump (ideally work out a deal with Vegas so they use their expansion pick on him...).

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Forwards

Line 1 Baertschi-Horvat-Eriksson
Line 2 Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin
Line 3 Granlund-Sutter-Boeser
Line 4 Gaunce-Chaput-Cramarossa

Extra Forwards
Dorsett, Labate

Defence

1st pairing Edler-Tanev
2nd pairing Hutton-Stecher
3rd pairing Tryamkin Gudbranson

Extra Defence Biega

Goalies
1A Markstrom
1B Darling/Lack

Sbisa exposed and claimed by Vegas

Boucher Shore both signed and waived to UTI
Skille walks

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
@denkiteki

I like your analysis too. I forgot about Rodin and agree with you that I think there's some untapped potential there. I wouldn't mind seeing Rodin get a chance with the Sedins.

I disagree on the Sedins-Eriksson pairing because of the speed factor. If we play faster teams, this line will most likely be exposed a lot (Maybe that's why WD doesn't line them up together).

I'm a little higher on Chaput than you are. I wouldn't even mind Chaput as C3. Sutter blows...

L1: Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
L2: D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Goldobin
L3: Granlund - Chaput - Virtanen
L4: Labate - Sutter - Eriksson
EF: Dorsett , Gaunce

Extras: Biega

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Forwards

Line 1 Baertschi-Horvat-Eriksson
Line 2 Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin
Line 3 Granlund-Sutter-Boeser
Line 4 Gaunce-Chaput-Cramarossa

Extra Forwards
Dorsett, Labate

Defence

1st pairing Edler-Tanev
2nd pairing Hutton-Stecher
3rd pairing Tryamkin Gudbranson

Extra Defence Biega

Goalies
1A Markstrom
1B Darling/Lack

Sbisa exposed and claimed by Vegas

Boucher Shore both signed and waived to UTI
Skille walks
I don't see the point in keeping boeser up here to play him with sutter and granlund. He needs to play with bo or somebody that is offensively gifted. You have to put young players in position to succeed or you risk screwing with their confidence. If Brock isn't ready to play a top 6 role with bo I'd send him to Utica. I Don't want him getting dragged down playing with sutter every night.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Sedin Sedin Hudler
Baert Horvat Eriksson
Goldobin Sutter Granlund
Cram Gaunce Virtanen

Hutton Tanev
Edler Gud
Tree Stecher

Markstrom/_____ competing for g1

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Without assuming any major changes but the things you assumed (Sbisa picked, Boesser signs, Not getting Nolan Patrick). Then the best we can do is:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson/Granlund
Baertschi - Horvat - Eriksson/??????
Goldobin - Sutter - Granlund/??????

Combo of Gaunce, Cram, Rodin, Virtanen, Boucher, Labate, Grenier, Shore, Dorsett fill out 4th line and spares.

Even assuming Boesser signs I am not penning his name in next year yet.

Edler - Stetcher
Hutton - Tanev
Tryamkin - Gudbranson
Biega

I don't really see a spot Olli next year unless he really wows in camp. Unless however we can move Edler in the offseason, but even then I'd rather have another cheap serviceable vet in the line-up next year, one for each youngster kinda thing. So I am not penning in a spot for him either. Is he AHL eligible next season?

Markstrom
Bachman

Why not? Sign another AHL/back-up vet to bring Demko along in Utica and be ready to come up in case of injuries in Vancouver. I don't really want to see Demko in the NHL next year at all unless he completely dominates down there.

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
If I was Jayson Megna. I'd feel like a failure after reading this thread. "Willie lied to me" *sniff, cough, cough, wet sniff, soft f-bomb"

Duckhugs

Apr 11, 2016
Megna Megna Megna
Megna Megna Megna
Megna Megna Megna
Megna Megna Megna

Megna Megna
Megna Megna
Megna Megna

Megna
Megna

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
With a new coach.....

Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Sedin Sedin Goldobin
Eriksson Granlund Rodin
Chaput Sutter Virtanen
Cram/Dorsett

Edler Stecher
Tryamkin Tanev
Juolevi Gudbranson
Sbisa Biega

Markstrom
Bernier

Gaunce - LV
Dahlen - SEL
Gaudette - NCAA
Glass - WHL :)

Gaunce - LV
Gaudette - NCAA

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
With a new coach.....

Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Sedin Sedin Goldobin
Eriksson Granlund Rodin
Chaput Sutter Virtanen
Cram/Dorsett

Edler Stecher
Tryamkin Tanev
Juolevi Gudbranson
Sbisa Biega

Markstrom
Bernier

Gaunce - LV
Dahlen - SEL
Gaudette - NCAA
Glass - WHL :)

Gaunce - LV
Gaudette - NCAA
ya know when Benning became the Gm of this team from Boston,i thought he wanted a meat and potatoes type of team.all he has done is given us a bunch of salad.this is the type of team id love to play against.hit them with a feather,,ya win..
Great job Benning,,,

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Actually IF Goldobin, Boeser and Virtanen pan out as projected, our line up is pretty good.

17-18:
L1A: Baertschi - H. Sedin - D. Sedin
L1B: Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser
L3: Eriksson - Sutter - Virtanen
L4: Granlund - F1 - F2

*Sbisa / Gaunce getting by picked Vegas doesn't affect us.

18-19: (IF Sedins retire / not re-signed)
L1A: Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser
L1B: Baertschi - Granlund/Gaudette? - Virtanen?
L3: Gaudette/Granlund? - Sutter - Eriksson
L4: F1 - F2 - F3

18-19: (IF Sedins are re-signed to $3.5m per Sedin)
L1A: Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser
L1B: Baertschi - Gaudette? - Virtanen?
L3: Sedin - Sedin - Granlund
L4: F1 - Sutter - Eriksson

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Baertschi-Horvat-Eriksson (I remember taking a lot of heat this past fall for suggesting this because "derp Eriksson signed to play with Sedins derp" but he hasn't been playing with the Sedins much, they didn't work too well together, and I think he could mesh well with Bo and Bae).

Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin (stylistically not the most ideal matchup, however, I don't see anything wrong with trying to use the Sedins to prop up one of our prospects. Not sure how effective they are at that role anymore, but maybe there's something still left in the tank. I'd be looking to trade the Sedins starting the upcoming draft though).

Granlund-Gaunce-Boucher (give Gaunce some linemates who can hopefully help bring out some more offense from him. Gaunce is our best defensive C and I would like to see him given some tougher matchups).

xxxx-Sutter-xxxx (Would ideally like to lose Sutter in the expansion draft just to get his contract off the books. Also another trade candidate IMO.)

No Boeser in my lineup. I'd start him in the AHL to begin the season (unless he tore up pre-season and forced his way on to the team, which I don't see happening), and possibly look to call him up mid-season if he's ready. I'd be focusing on insulating Dahlen, Boeser, and Virtanen in Utica by surrounding them with quality AHL veterans. Similar to what the Leafs did with Nylander.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
No Boeser in my lineup. I'd start him in the AHL to begin the season (unless he tore up pre-season and forced his way on to the team, which I don't see happening), and possibly look to call him up mid-season if he's ready. I'd be focusing on insulating Dahlen, Boeser, and Virtanen in Utica by surrounding them with quality AHL veterans. Similar to what the Leafs did with Nylander.

I'm fine with that approach. No need to rush our prospects if they're not ready... Really hoping Virtanen takes a big step forward next year though. Also, judging by a large majority of the experts' opinion of Boeser, I don't think he'll need much AHL seasoning.

Just praying Ryan Miller doesn't get re-signed to anything more than a 1 yr $3m deal (at most) or at all. Too many members of the young core needs to be re-signed (Horvat, Tryamkin, Hutton, Baertschi, Granlund, Stecher, Markstrom, Goldobin, Boeser) in the upcoming summer 2017, 2018 and 2019. Even Edler needs to be re-signed in 2018 ..

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Correction 2019.

I certainly hope we will have traded him long before summer of 2019. And if not, I doubt he is going to be a desirable re-signing in more than 2 years from now. I don't see how he would be as good or better than he is now.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I certainly hope we will have traded him long before summer of 2019. And if not, I doubt he is going to be a desirable re-signing in more than 2 years from now. I don't see how he would be as good or better than he is now.
I'm still a big fan of Alex "Eddie the Eagle" Edler... although he hasn't played like a bonafide #1 dman in the last 2-3 years, I think he just needs to get his confidence back. Eddie used to drive the puck into the offensive zone alot more... but who knows the future. Maybe you're a jaded Canucks fan?

I think he's been playing okay to good the past 3-5 games. This season can't end soon enough right now. Please #1 pick... We need Hischier or else!!

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Well if my pipe dream of winning the lottery happens

F1 - Horvat - Eriksson
Sedin - Sedin - Boeser
Baertschi/Granlund - Patrick - Goldobin
Gaunce - Sutter - Dorsett
Cramarossa / Rodin

Edler - Stetcher
Tryamkin - Tanev
Juolevi - Gudbranson
Biega

Marksom
??

Hutton & one of Baertschi or Granlund packaged for an upgrade on the wing to play with Horvat & Eriksson. Unlikely but it's my roster.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I'm still a big fan of Alex "Eddie the Eagle" Edler... although he hasn't played like a bonafide #1 dman in the last 2-3 years, I think he just needs to get his confidence back. Eddie used to drive the puck into the offensive zone alot more... but who knows the future. Maybe you're a jaded Canucks fan?

I think he's been playing okay to good the past 3-5 games. This season can't end soon enough right now. Please #1 pick... We need Hischier or else!!

LOL, that's cute.

I love Eddie to, but his best days are behind him. He has never been the same since the player we saw in 2010-2012. His back surgery and other injuries and age piling up has a big impact on that. It's fine to think a player can return to past form after a down season or two. But it's been five. It's not gonna happen.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Well if my pipe dream of winning the lottery happens

F1 - Horvat - Eriksson
Sedin - Sedin - Boeser
Baertschi/Granlund - Patrick - Goldobin
Cramarossa / Rodin

Edler - Stetcher
Tryamkin - Tanev
Juolevi - Gudbranson
Biega

Marksom
??

Hutton & one of Baertschi or Granlund packaged for an upgrade on the wing to play with Horvat & Eriksson. Unlikely but it's my roster.
I see you're in the Sedins-Boeser camp.. i just don't know if Boeser fits.. I don't know... just can't see it. I think Boeser would be better next to Bo...

I see you're also bearish on Baertschi. I think Baertschi could develop well with Sedins... Baertschi seems to have been a man possessed after the puck pretty consistently the whole year.

But i do like how the defence corps become a bit more clear and defined (when Hutton is traded in your scenario, Tryamkin-Tanev pairing - NICE!)... Hutton's been playing well and making good reads the last few games imo.. Looks more like Edler could & should be traded.. But defensive depth seems to go a long way (as JB and past predecessors have complained about as a GM in the Pacific division).

I think JB and WD had done the best they could this year. But by no means do I agree with the results of this year (it's unacceptable in our market). I think we could extend last year's deadline for WD from Jan 2017 to Jan 2018... just to see how players respond.. alot of times in Canucks history; we've made too many rash decisions that later ruined our dressing room and culture (see Tom Renney, Rick Ley for coaches... see Pavel Bure, Cam Neely, Mike Peca for players)...

The lineup with Goldobin-Horvat-Boeser as a line would be fun to watch ... especially if WD & co. are able to instill that puck determination & pressure into them. Our line up is pretty good for the upcoming 2-3 seasons if everyone pans out.. alot of young studs coming up (Gaudette, Dahlen, Juolevi)...

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I see you're in the Sedins-Boeser camp.. i just don't know if Boeser fits.. I don't know... just can't see it. I think Boeser would be better next to Bo...

I see you're also bearish on Baertschi. I think Baertschi could develop well with Sedins... Baertschi seems to have been a man possessed after the puck pretty consistently the whole year.

But i do like how the defence corps become a bit more clear and defined (when Hutton is traded in your scenario, Tryamkin-Tanev pairing - NICE!)... Hutton's been playing well and making good reads the last few games imo.. Looks more like Edler could & should be traded.. But defensive depth seems to go a long way (as JB and past predecessors have complained about as a GM in the Pacific division).

I think JB and WD had done the best they could this year. But by no means do I agree with the results of this year (it's unacceptable in our market). I think we could extend last year's deadline for WD from Jan 2017 to Jan 2018... just to see how players respond.. alot of times in Canucks history; we've made too many rash decisions that later ruined our dressing room and culture (see Tom Renney, Rick Ley for coaches... see Pavel Bure, Cam Neely, Mike Peca for players)...

The lineup with Goldobin-Horvat-Boeser as a line would be fun to watch ... especially if WD & co. are able to instill that puck determination & pressure into them. Our line up is pretty good for the upcoming 2-3 seasons if everyone pans out.. alot of young studs coming up (Gaudette, Dahlen, Juolevi)...

Boeser is an excellent finisher and good along the boards (although going up against men will be a different can of worms) so I think it may work. Additionally I think Boeser, and for that matter, Goldobin, need to be sheltered and will be getting lower ice-time than Horvat.

My preference would be to trade Granlund however Baertschi likely holds more value, and agreed that defensive depth is important. Perhaps I'm not quite as sold on Hutton as others although admittedly his play has steadily improved since no longer playing with Gudbranson. If no trades, and assuming we still magically and unrealistically win the lottery:

Baertschi - Horvat - Eriksson
Sedin - Sedin - Boeser
Granlund - Patrick - Goldobin

Edler - Stetcher
Hutton - Tanev
Tryamkin - Gudbranson
Juolevi - Biega

Defense pairings are a bit of a jumble, Tryamkin and Gudbranson weren't a particularly inspiring pairing when I watched them.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Forwards

L1 Baertschi-Horvat-Eriksson
L2 Daniel-Henrik-Granlund
L3 Rodin-Sutter-Goldobin
L4 Gaunce-Chaput-Labate

Extra Forwards
Cramarossa, Virtanen

Defence

1st Edler-Tanev
2nd Hutton-Stecher
3rd Tryamkin Gudbranson
Extra D - Biega

Goalies
Markstrom
UFA

I'm assuming Sbisa is taken in the expansion draft.

I have my doubts that Dorsett will come back, and if he does, if he loses his speed and agressiveness (which are his only assets). If Virtanen finds himself over the summer, he could figure more prominently, or less. Rodin is also a big question mark. It is also likely that Benning signs a mid-tier FA this summer to compete for a middle 6 wing spot.

Juolevi will get/earn a 10 game tryout and if he is not 100% ready to play every night, he will be returned to Junior. To give Juolevi his cup of coffee, one of Virtanen or Labate will start in Utica.

Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen and Labate will be the swing forwards who are promoted or demoted to Utica based on their play and the health of the forward group. I wouldn't rush Boeser to the NHL before he is ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad