Next Year's Line up

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Probably a lot of changes before you can more than pencil in next year's lineup but, given what is now available maybe this:

Assume here:

Sbisa is gone in the expansion draft. Too bad as he is somewhat useful and a decent NHL player. But they are going to keep Gudbranson.

Canucks are not going to luck out and get Nolan Patrick who is likely the only NHL ready pick.

Get Boeser signed

Forwards

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Eriksson Goldobin Sutter

Virtanen/Gaunce Cramarossa Dorset

Boucher

This not a lineup that is going to scare anyone but this team needs to start seeding in younger players. Virtanen will be given every chance to succeed. Huge for the organization that he start to realize his promise. If he can develop into an adequate 4th liner that's better than nothing. Same with Boeser. He will be given every chance.

Rebuild will take several years (short of free agent signings) to generate an adequate offense. Thus, we will have to live the inconsistent and often sub standard play of some of the younger players.

Defense

Edler Stecher

Hutton Tanev

Tryamkin Gudbranson

Joulevi

Bit of a left hand/right hand issue but think that is the top 6. Joulevi will have to play himself off the team.

Gaolie

Miller Markstrom

Kmode

Nov 3, 2006
Probably a lot of changes before you can more than pencil in next year's lineup but, given what is now available maybe this:

Assume here:

Sbisa is gone in the expansion draft. Too bad as he is somewhat useful and a decent NHL player. But they are going to keep Gudbranson.

Canucks are not going to luck out and get Nolan Patrick who is likely the only NHL ready pick.

Get Boeser signed

Forwards

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Eriksson Goldobin Sutter

Virtanen/Gaunce Cramarossa Dorset

Boucher

This not a lineup that is going to scare anyone but this team needs to start seeding in younger players. Virtanen will be given every chance to succeed. Huge for the organization that he start to realize his promise. If he can develop into an adequate 4th liner that's better than nothing. Same with Boeser. He will be given every chance.

Rebuild will take several years (short of free agent signings) to generate an adequate offense. Thus, we will have to live the inconsistent and often sub standard play of some of the younger players.

Defense

Edler Stecher

Hutton Tanev

Tryamkin Gudbranson

Joulevi

Bit of a left hand/right hand issue but think that is the top 6. Joulevi will have to play himself off the team.

Gaolie

Miller Markstrom

I suspect Dorsett's career may be over. Aside from that, looks about right. Boeser still a wild card. Not sure he'll be NHL-ready and even if he is, will management give him an immediate top 6 role? I'd hope so, but with this team, who knows.

Sedins Eriksson
Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Granlund Sutter Goldobin
Labate Gaunce Virtanen

Edler Tanev
Tryamkin Stetcher
Hutton Gudbranson

(Hopefully not Miller)
Markstrom

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Daniel - Horvat - Eriksson
Baertschi - Henrik - Rodin
Goldobin - Sutter - Granlund
Carmarossa - Gaunce - Dorsett
Boucher
1st call up Boeser
Edler - Stecher
Tryamkin - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Pedan - Biega
1st call up Subban
Miller
Markstrom
1st call up Demko

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
There are too many questions.

I think next season is the year Henrik and Daniel become 2nd line players officially. Not a knock on them, but Horvat is rapidly surpassing them offensively.

Who gets taken in the expansion draft - Sbisa, Gudbranson, Gaunce, Skille (resigned). Assuming Sbisa?

Will Dorsett have a full recovery? If WD is still coach, he will get every chance to play until he falls off the cliff like Prust and Higgins did.

If by some miracle we win the draft lottery, it is likely Nolan Patrick drops right in on the 3rd line, moving Sutter to the wing.

Rodin is an RFA - do we reset with him? Re-sign and try again?

We are going to be weak on the wings and struggle to score no matter what. There is a good chance Boeser isn't quite ready to jump straight from UND to the top line in the NHL.

Undoubtedly there will be at least 1 veteran UFA or PTO added.

Baertschi Horvat Eriksson
Daniel Henrik Boeser
Granlund Sutter Goldobin
Dorsett Gaunce Virtanen
Boucher (re-signed)

Edler Tanev
Tryamkin Stetcher
Hutton Gudbranson
(Biega, McEneny)

Markstrom
???

This doesn't look like a winning line up. Probably another high draft pick next year.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Way too many variables, plus UFA signings that are too early to project.

At this point, assuming no big changes:

Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin
Baertschi-Horvat-Eriksson
Granlund-Sutter-Boeser
UFA - Gaunce - Boucher

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Tanev
UFA-Gudbranson

Markstrom
UFA

Use the Sedins to try to prop up Goldobin. Move him and Boeser up and down as necessary. Use Eriksson to work with Baertschi and Horvat as they transition to being the top line. Sutter and Granlund are there because we're kinda stuck with Sutter and Granlund doesn't really fit anywhere else in the lineup. I would keep Boucher and try to develop some chemistry with him and Gaunce. Would like another skilled puck possession player on the 4th line with them.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
If I were Vegas looking at the players we are likely to have available, I think I take Rodin. I mean you have to pick 30 players anyway for a 23 man roster and he's got enough mystery box factor to be enticing more so than a known blah like sbisa.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Sedin-Sedin-Granlund/Goldobin
Baertschi-Horvat-X/Rodin/Virtanen
Granlund/Goldobin-Sutter-Eriksson
Dorsett/Gaunce/Chaput/Virtanen/X

Edler-Stecher
Juolevi-Tanev
Tryamkin-Gudbranson
Biega/Pedan

Hutton traded for a young scoring forward. Boeser, Dahlen, Brisbois, maybe Lockwood join Utica.

Why not.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I see it as:

Sedin-Sedin-Boeser
Goldobin-Granlund-Sutter
Virtanen-Cramarossa-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev
Tryamkin-Stecher
Hutton-Gudbranson

Markstrom/Miller

Boeser should play in the NHL, he's our top prospect and should have time to develop under the Sedins.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Assuming Benning gets another year because of the deadline trades...

Hutton+ will be traded for a forward (let's say Tatar), Juolevi will be rushed to the NHL, Gaunce will be taken in the expansion draft, Boeser will be gifted a spot in the NHL, Miller will be re-signed, Goldobin and Virtanen will start the year in the AHL, some 4th line center will be overpaid in free agency (John Mitchell?).

Baertschi - Horvat - Tatar/Eriksson
Sedin - Sedin - Boeser
Granlund - Sutter - Eriksson/Tatar
Cramarossa - Mitchell - Dorsett
Chaput

Edler - Tanev
Tryamkin - Stecher
Juolevi - Gudbranson
Sbisa, Biega

Markstrom
Miller

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
No Idea what players we sign, trade or get taken in the Expantion draft but just what I would like to see.

Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin
Granlund-Sutter-Boeser
Cramorossa-Gaunce-Virtanen/Boucher/Dorsett

Edler-Stetcher
Hutton-Tanev
Tryamkin-Gudbranson

Miller/Markstrom

Hoping Sbisa it picked in the ED, other than that just an overall mix of our Youth and Veteran players.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In terms of projecting lineups, this may be one of the most volatile years in decades....lots of teams with serious cap issues and expansion draft vulnerabilities....I have a feeling some very good players could be in play before the June 21st expansion draft.

Suspect that Jimbo could be very active wheeling and dealing before the expansion draft and the entry draft. He's talked about dealing a d-man for offensive help and this will happen for sure.

It will be a fascinating off-season around the NHL.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
If Boeser is at least impactful for half a season

Rodin gets re-signed and has a semblance of what made him successful in the SHL, seasons prior

and Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Goldobin all continue to trend upwards

and solid goaltending

then this team will be competitive next season

Otherwise, we'll have to wait for Gaudette to play his 2 seasons in the American League, and Dahlen to transition to N.A. hockey

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Baertschi - Horvat - Eriksson
Sedin - Sedin - Granlund
Boucher - Sutter - Goldobin
Gaunce - Camatossa - Dorsett

Guddy - Tanev
Edler - Stecher
Stecher - Tryamkin

Miller
Markstrom

If Hischer isn't available I would draft Middlestadt or Tippett.

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary
If I were Vegas looking at the players we are likely to have available, I think I take Rodin. I mean you have to pick 30 players anyway for a 23 man roster and he's got enough mystery box factor to be enticing more so than a known blah like sbisa.

Isn't rodin a UFA? I think so.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Baertschi-Horvat-Goldobin
Granlund-Patrick/Hischier-Sutter
Boucher-Gaunce-Dorsett
Cramarossa

Edler-Stecher
Juolevi-Tanev
Hutton-Tryamkin
Biega
Pedan

Markstrom
Miller (re-signed on a 1 year $2.5M deal)
Gudbranson traded
Sbisa claimed by Vegas

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Ideally we can stay as far under the cap as possible to be ready to take on cap dumps along with picks and prospects.

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary
I'd like to see the Sedin's split up.
It's been noted in a few previous threads Goldobin will most likely do well with pure playmaker. So pair him with H.Sedin.
The way Eriksson has played he doesn't belong anywhere near the top line... but where else do you put him?
We have 9 middle 6 players... and not 1 single top line player and it's disgusting..
We clearly need a legit #1 centre..
Would still like to find room for Brock Boeser. But where? We have a ton of depth on wing right now... maybe that actually can make him expendable for said #1 centre

D.Sedin-????????-Eriksson
Granlund-H.Sedin-Goldobin
Baertschi-Horvat-Sutter
Boucher-Cramarossa-Dorsett

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad