Next Year's Line up

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really believe Jimbo is going to pull off a major deal between the end of the season and July 1st free-agency, involving one of his d-men.....so the lineup might look a lot difference next year.

And I know one thing....already predicting a major rebound year for the Sedins.....a qualified NHL coach will give them second-line minutes; and second unit pp duty....they'll be fresher and might even get better match-ups.

Willie playing them until their tongues were hanging out did nothing for them, their careers or the team.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think we lose a dman to Vegas.. so I'll leave D alone...

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin
Sedin-Sedin-Granlund
Goldobin-Sutter-Eriksson
Virtanen-Gaunce-Dorsett

Boeser in the A.
Sedins-Boeser I dont see working.. don't see em getting the puck back after losing it.

With Patrick...

Sedan-Sedin-Patrick
Baertschi-Horvat-Granlund
Rodin-Sutter-Eriksson
Goldobin-(UFA/Gaunce)-Virtanen/Dorsett

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Patrick
Beartschi - Horvat - Boeser
Goldobin - Granlund - Rodin
Gaunce - Sutter - Virtanen

Joulevi - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Tryamkin - Stecher

--

Edler - Traded at the draft for a mid 1st
Miller - Free agency
Sbisa - picked up in expansion draft

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Patrick
Beartschi - Horvat - Boeser
Goldobin - Granlund - Rodin
Gaunce - Sutter - Virtanen

Joulevi - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Tryamkin - Stecher

--

Edler - Traded at the draft for a mid 1st
Miller - Free agency
Sbisa - picked up in expansion draft

They need to do far better than a first-round pick in what is generally considered a weak draft for a guy like Edler.....I'd be looking for a first in 2018 and a roster player at least...teams have players they could lose in the expansion draft anyway, and top-four d-men like Edler are 'money' in the trade market.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
They need to do far better than a first-round pick in what is generally considered a weak draft for a guy like Edler.....I'd be looking for a first in 2018 and a roster player at least...teams have players they could lose in the expansion draft anyway, and top-four d-men like Edler are 'money' in the trade market.

Weaker draft or not, I would take a mid-first for Edler in a heartbeat. Asking for a 1st AND a roster player, assuming that roster player isn't just a warm body Megna-type player is simply over-valuing Edler's value in the market.

Brendan Smith, a younger top-4 defenceman, went for a 2nd and a 3rd, and that seemed to be fair value for both sides.

Ron Hainsey was traded for a 2nd round pick and a warm body.

Michael Stone for a 3rd and a conditional pick.

Alex Goligoski went for a 4th last June.

Just because we overpaid for a flawed top-4 defenceman last summer doesn't mean it happens all the time.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Really believe Jimbo is going to pull off a major deal between the end of the season and July 1st free-agency, involving one of his d-men.....so the lineup might look a lot difference next year.

And I know one thing....already predicting a major rebound year for the Sedins.....a qualified NHL coach will give them second-line minutes; and second unit pp duty....they'll be fresher and might even get better match-ups.

Willie playing them until their tongues were hanging out did nothing for them, their careers or the team.

But I think that's exactly the problem too.. Not many Canucks fans (myself included) would've felt the Sedins was going to drop off in their production as much as they did this season at the beginning of this season. They're playing 18-20 minutes a game. And what you're suggesting is that they should now play 14-18 minutes a game to keep them "fresher" when they're one of the best conditioned guys on the team and getting paid $7m per season (which isn't a great way of spending for production - unless you count intangibles as part of the equation).

That being said, I really do hope they bounce back for one last hurrah. If they're still mediocre next year, the succession plan revolves around Gaudette in 18-19 season as our "savior" in the C2 spot with Horvat hopefully cementing another year of progression and forced into that C1 spot. And the Sedins should only return if they accept something around the $3-4m range after their contract expires on a year-to-year basis (a la Teemu Selanne 1 yr deals with the Ducks).

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think we lose a dman to Vegas.. so I'll leave D alone...

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin
Sedin-Sedin-Granlund
Goldobin-Sutter-Eriksson
Virtanen-Gaunce-Dorsett

Boeser in the A.
Sedins-Boeser I dont see working.. don't see em getting the puck back after losing it.

With Patrick...

Sedan-Sedin-Patrick
Baertschi-Horvat-Granlund
Rodin-Sutter-Eriksson
Goldobin-(UFA/Gaunce)-Virtanen/Dorsett

I wouldn't waste Nolan Patrick on the wing. I would easily have him as our 3C and go with something like this:

Baertschi-Horvat-Eriksson
Sedin-Sedin-Granlund
Gaunce-Patrick-Goldobin
xxx-Sutter-xxx

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I wouldn't waste Nolan Patrick on the wing. I would easily have him as our 3C and go with something like this:

Baertschi-Horvat-Eriksson
Sedin-Sedin-Granlund
Gaunce-Patrick-Goldobin
xxx-Sutter-xxx

Agreed. If by some miracle we draft Hischier or Patrick you play them at C on the 3rd line. Although I would move Sutter to the wing as Gaunce hasn't shown much more than a lot of effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad