Next up and coming Goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
BATJAM said:
I watched Dubnyk and Price play at the WJC orientation game at GM Place in August and I have to say, Dubnyk looked terrible. His positioning was constantly off and he looked sloppy in his lateral movement. He was badly out played by Ellis Plante. Price on the other hand, showed good composure. Though he wasn't excellent, he was very good. I'm not gonna pretend like I know how these goalies are gonna turn out, but based on his training camp performance, I'd send Ellis Plante as the backup and put Dubnyk in the press box. As far as the list in this thread, I'd take Dubnyk off, and replace him with Corey Schneider.

From what I understand, Price was playing with new pads that he is trying to break in which might explain why he wasn't better at the camp. I personally havent seen enough of him to be overly impressed yet but I hope to see some tri city games this year.

As far as AHL goalies, Ward impressed me and Danis played well considering his team couldn't buy a goal early in the season. Bryzgalov I like as well. I also expect Garon to be a very good goalie, although I didn't get to see him play too much this past season.

Rolexmaster

Aug 3, 2005
Two words :

PASCAL LECLAIRE !!!!!

If he can't play because Denis is there, then they will have to trade him like habs traded Garon......at some point he's gonna want to be on a team where he can have a shoot at being no 1

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
Well Toivonen would be my pick, and it seems HF would agree as he is the number 3 best goalie prospect. 8A is a damn good rating for a goaltender.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Hedberg said:
Price is the best of the list, but I would say none of the above.

Price?!

I find him the most overrated goalie prospect in the 2005 Draft.

I believe Tuukka Rask should have been the first goalie taken in the draft. Based on potential, Rask has the most.

My list for the draft looked like..

1. Tuukka Rask
2. Carey Price
3. Ondrej Pavalech

roryb

Jul 20, 2005
Look out for Schwarz...this guy has got serious skill and is on a team that is setting up for him nicely in a few years.

sundaystar

Feb 13, 2003
Canada
Visit site
MaDdY said:
Price?!

I find him the most overrated goalie prospect in the 2005 Draft.

I believe Tuukka Rask should have been the first goalie taken in the draft. Based on potential, Rask has the most.

My list for the draft looked like..

1. Tuukka Rask
2. Carey Price
3. Ondrej Pavalech

MMM! I wonder why you think rask is better than price? So you think Price is overrated and Rask should have been the first goalie drafted. And this of course has nothing to do with the fact Montreal drafted Price and Leafs drafted Rask. So from your analysis of both players, wait a second how many games did you see both Price and Rask play? :shakehead

Matt Foley*

Rolexmaster said:
Two words :

PASCAL LECLAIRE !!!!!

If he can't play because Denis is there, then they will have to trade him like habs traded Garon......at some point he's gonna want to be on a team where he can have a shoot at being no 1

This will be a key season for Leclaire, as this is the first season he's had any real pressure on him to perform. Let alone Denis, he would have to outplay Prusek for the 2nd goaltender spot on the big club, plus he'll have some younger competition from Tomas Popperle.

IMO Denis and Prusek will hold down the Columbus spots, while Pascal will be the primary goaltender in Syracuse, with Popperle backing him up.

chuckie

Feb 24, 2003
Visit site
sundaystar said:
MMM! I wonder why you think rask is better than price? So you think Price is overrated and Rask should have been the first goalie drafted. And this of course has nothing to do with the fact Montreal drafted Price and Leafs drafted Rask. So from your analysis of both players, wait a second how many games did you see both Price and Rask play? :shakehead

Actually he's not alone, alot of draft reports and hockey analysts didn't have price as the #1 goalie, in fact he wasn't the best goalie in the whl , but since the habs drafted him he rises over toivonen and nitty on these lists, just hilarious. Have people forgotten already that toivonen and nitty have proven themselves in the ahl and have played amazing in the ahl playoffs. Let's just say price has along way to go and alot to prove before he can be in the same class as these goalies.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
chuckie said:
Actually he's not alone, alot of draft reports and hockey analysts didn't have price as the #1 goalie, in fact he wasn't the best goalie in the whl , but since the habs drafted him he rises over toivonen and nitty on these lists, just hilarious. Have people forgotten already that toivonen and nitty have proven themselves in the ahl and have played amazing in the ahl playoffs.

I think you are right on this point. There is no denying that Niittymaki and Toivonen and much much proven goalthenders, and therefore you simply can't put Carey Price ahead of them. With that being said, what is the point of having a comparision between Price, who turned 18 just 3 weeks ago, and a 2002 draftee or heck even a 1998 draftee in Niittymaki's case. That's 7 years of development ahead of Price. How can you argue about who's the better goalie right now? At least, let Price have 1 or 2 more seasons in the WHL and a season in the AHL before getting a feel of how good he could become.

It's a very stupid debate to have IMO.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Duane Allman said:
Can't believe nobody has any love for MAF.
Read the first post :sarcasm:

Besides Fleury and Lehtonen, who would you all say is the next Number 1 stopper between the pipes?

No Quarter*

Gnashville said:
Read the first post :sarcasm:

Besides Fleury and Lehtonen, who would you all say is the next Number 1 stopper between the pipes?

My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad