Next up and coming Goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyDusso

Sep 5, 2005
I like the choice of Josh Harding, but it won't be till a couple of years(3 or maybe 4) but he will be the guy soon enough.

I figure Cam Ward could carry the load pretty soon over Gerber, as for Miller I believe he will be number one by december maximum! I feel Buffalo management is high on him.

For me a dark horse would be Jim Howard :sarcasm: for Detroit.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Why is it that when a new goalie (Price) gets drafted that he is allofasudden the next best prospect goalie better than any goalie drafted in the past 2-3 years. Or at least is considered better. Who is the next up and coming goalie is NOT Price simply because he won't make the NHL before any of the others listed. So naming him the up and comer when he's not even near competing for an NHL job is a little premature.

As for my pick:
Ilya Brizgalov simply because he's got a great shot at backing up and subplanting Giguere.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Mackattack said:
Montoya, Dubnyk, and Schwarz will be lucky if they ever see the light of day in the NHL because they are all known to be mentally poor goalies.

Miller should be the Sabres starter this year, and Toivonen should be ready to push Andrew Raycroft pretty soon.

Price is still very, very young, but easily has the best upside out of all thease goalies.

I havent read that about Montoya. Can you provide a link? I really like him.

FacelessButcher

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
Malakhov said:
Someone from BC says it, no one bothers him, then later in the thread a Habs fan says it and he's an homer :shakehead
It's probably because the latter of the two went out of his way to belittle other goalies while offering very little complimentary explanation for his views while the first just plainly and quaintly stated his opinion.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Attica said:
Bite your lip.

Lundquvist isn't exactly a spring chicken. and it's up and coming goalie, not prospects.

Lundqvist turned 23 this year and it wouldn't surprise me if he's in the Garden backing up Weekes this season. Make no mistake. Lundqvist is definitely an up and coming Goalie.
As for Montoya. I'm sure he'll be starting in Hartford this season with Holt as a back up.
The NYR are pretty deep in Goal.

Le depisteur

Feb 13, 2003
Québec
Visit site
CanadianCat said:
Besides Fleury and Lehtonen, who would you all say is the next Number 1 stopper between the pipes?

Ryan Miller?
Hannu Toivonen?
Al Montoya?
Marek Schwarz?
Devin Dubnyk?
Corey Price?

I'm sure i'm missing somebody as its early and im bored haha
Cheers! :propeller

1. CArey Price
2. Hannu Toivonen
3. Ryan Miller
4. Marek Schwarz
5. Al Montoya
6. Devin Dubnyk

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
David LeNeveu is a name that doesn't come up very often in topics like this, but I truly think he can be a very good NHL goalie. He is a very fundamentally sound netminder who is very strong mentally.

Although he will be in San Antonio this season, I think he is going to turn some heads in training camp this year and will see some time with the Coyotes in the 05-06 season.

BATJAM

Jan 14, 2005
I watched Dubnyk and Price play at the WJC orientation game at GM Place in August and I have to say, Dubnyk looked terrible. His positioning was constantly off and he looked sloppy in his lateral movement. He was badly out played by Ellis Plante. Price on the other hand, showed good composure. Though he wasn't excellent, he was very good. I'm not gonna pretend like I know how these goalies are gonna turn out, but based on his training camp performance, I'd send Ellis Plante as the backup and put Dubnyk in the press box. As far as the list in this thread, I'd take Dubnyk off, and replace him with Corey Schneider.

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Attica said:
Bite your lip.

Lundquvist isn't exactly a spring chicken. and it's up and coming goalie, not prospects.

Umm Lundqvist is 23. Thats a pretty big difference from 25. But your right it was up and coming goalie so i'd put Niittymaki on it.

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Mackattack said:
Montoya, Dubnyk, and Schwarz will be lucky if they ever see the light of day in the NHL because they are all known to be mentally poor goalies.

Miller should be the Sabres starter this year, and Toivonen should be ready to push Andrew Raycroft pretty soon.

Price is still very, very young, but easily has the best upside out of all thease goalies.
:confused: From everything I've heard Dubnyk is a very strong goalie mentally.

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Malakhov said:
Someone from BC says it, no one bothers him, then later in the thread a Habs fan says it and he's an homer :shakehead
You bet he is. Making a silly statement about a number of goalies on their mental sense, without any source whatsoever, and then pimping out his team's goalie like he's the best thing since sliced bread=Homer.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Does Ray Emery just fall off the radar after 1 below average season? He was great his first two years in the AHL (All-star both years) and was the best goalie in the AHL for the last month of this last season, not to mention the B-Sens best player by far in the postseason. He'll get his starts in the NHL this year and I think he could surprise a lot of people.

I also like the LeNeveu pick. He's an underrated goaltending prospect for sure.

westcoast habsfan

Aug 16, 2005
futurcorerock said:
Homer

I haven't heard poor mentality out of Montoya, IIRC He kinda sorta won a WJC with the US. You gotta have something good going on in your head to beat a stacked Canadian team

In 2004 WJC Montoya was excellent. Got the award for best goalie at the tournament I believe. 2005 WJC, Montoya crapped out, and that was the one that had the stacked Canadian team. Really inconsistent. He let in some awful goals, but also made some spectacular saves.

The again, Marc-Andre Fleury wasn't great in his second go-around with the WJC either and I'd put him on the "up and coming goalie" list. Just awesome reflexes. He'll at least be fun to watch.

Montoya is a pretty confident guy so I don't see him having any mental flaws. He reminds me a lot of Ron Hextall actually. He even has the same flaw - at times he overplays the shot. Hextall had a pretty solid career, so should Montoya.

It's really hard to predict with goalies since they tend not to be consistent or have their best seasons until they're in their late 20's. That's why Luongo is so special. The guy's already Vezina trophy good and he isn't even close to hitting his prime. He's just getting better and better. He is younger or the same age of most of the guys just named, and will eventually take over from Brodeur as the game's best goalie.

I think the best up and coming goalie though is Lehtonen in Atlanta. Put anyone else second, third, etc....

jacketracket*

FLYLine88 said:
Hes like 25, hes not considered a prospect anymore.
I didn't see mention of "prospect" in the thread starter's initial post --- he asked who we thought the next breakthrough goalie would be.

Niittymaki.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
jacketracket said:
I didn't see mention of "prospect" in the thread starter's initial post --- he asked who we thought the next breakthrough goalie would be.

Niittymaki.

Well this is posted on the "Prospect Board"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad