Next season: what this team should look like

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If Calvin isn't retained, the problem with replacing Leddy/Boychuk 4 years from now is even more severe. They need a legitimate top 4 D under 28 signed for 6+ more years and they need to add (draft) a high end defenseman for the future this year at the very least.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The Idea was to eventually replace Leddy/Boychuk with CDH/Hamonic as the veteran top pairing. That was the worst case if they couldn't draft another top pairing D. Well they haven't drafted a top pairing D, and they lost Hamonic. This is another example of how brain dead Garth Snow is.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Staple mentioned that de Haan's next contract won't be insured and that is hard pass for Isles.

Look passed de Haan - if a deal can't be had for any top 4 d that may be available this offseason, then our options are looking like Ian Cole or Jack Johnson.

Last edited:

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Staple mentioned that de Haan's next contract won't be insured and that is hard pass for Isles.

Look passed de Haan - if a deal can't be had for any top 4 d that may be available this offseason, then our options are looking like Ian Cole or Jack Johnson.

Columbus looking to resign Cole before July 1. I think a trade is most likely.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Columbus looking to resign Cole before July 1. I think a trade is most likely.

Brock Nelson for Ryan Murray ?

Adam Pelech, 11 OA, and Brock Nelson for Jacob Trouba?

Jordan Eberle for Brodin

Jordan Eberle for TJ Brodie

Or sign Jack Johnson for 4/20m (ehh)

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Calling this the Eberle option -

Eberle for Brodie
Nelson for Grubauer
Isles sign Perron, Filppula, and Winnik
Resign Wagner, Gibson, Hickey and Tavares

Lee - Tavares - Bailey
Perron - Barzal - Beauvillier
Ladd -Filppula-Ho-Sang
Winnik-Cizikas - Clutterbuck
*Johnston- Wagner -Fritz

Leddy - Boychuk
Brodie -Pelech
Hickey - Pulock
*Toews - Mayfield

Grubauer
Greiss
*Gibson

Cap total 79m and change

*starts in the AHL

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Calling this the Eberle option -

Eberle for Brodie
Nelson for Grubauer
Isles sign Perron, Filppula, and Winnik
Resign Wagner, Gibson, Hickey and Tavares

Lee - Tavares - Bailey
Perron - Barzal - Beauvillier
Ladd -Filppula-Ho-Sang
Winnik-Cizikas - Clutterbuck
*Johnston- Wagner -Fritz

Leddy - Boychuk
Brodie -Pelech
Hickey - Pulock
*Toews - Mayfield

Grubauer
Greiss
*Gibson

Cap total 79m and change

*starts in the AHL

Would rather do Lee for Brodin and hang on to Eberle. I think Brodin > Brodie and I think Eberle fits better with a speed team which is what I think Isles need to focus on.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Would rather do Lee for Brodin and hang on to Eberle. I think Brodin > Brodie and I think Eberle fits better with a speed team which is what I think Isles need to focus on.

I like Brodin, he would be a great pickup. I regard him at about the same level as I do CdH in ability. While I hate to lose Lee, can we afford him going forward if JT re-signs? He's a Minnesota kid and he brings a pretty unique skillset. There could be a match there.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I like Brodin, he would be a great pickup. I regard him at about the same level as I do CdH in ability. While I hate to lose Lee, can we afford him going forward if JT re-signs? He's a Minnesota kid and he brings a pretty unique skillset. There could be a match there.

I think the new Wild GM will be compelled to do something. Bringing in a Minn kid who solves one of the Wild's biggest problems is a nice first move. I think now more than ever there could be a match there.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Regardless of what happens with JT, I think improvement to this team has to mean there's a readiness to move both Leddy and Lee.

And we fans need to be ready to live with that.

Reactions: Axe Man

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think the new Wild GM will be compelled to do something. Bringing in a Minn kid who solves one of the Wild's biggest problems is a nice first move. I think now more than ever there could be a match there.

The problem is Lee's pending UFA status, but you would hope he'd be amenable to an extension with Minnesota before being dealt as that would significantly increase his value. Still, his skillset has value and there should be no shortage of suitors for what he can do. The optics of bringing Lee back home probably wouldn't hurt either.

I'd hate to put so much pressure on Bellows, but his development eases my apprehension a bit if we are to deal Lee. Also remember that expansion for Seattle is looming and he'd be exempt if the same rules are applied. With JT re-signed to a big money deal and Barzal's eventual big deal, we may need to cheap out a big on the wings. Lee is going to get paid and we all know it, I don't know if we can afford him.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

There is a situation where we comfortably can afford Lee, but it's complicated. How much money will be needed to re-sign all the young guys? How much money will both Eberle and Lee want going forward? How much money will go to JT (in that scenario)? And there's also a chance we won't be able to do any upgrades on FA market, so a trade or two will be needed and I think Eberle and Lee should be considered, I wouldn't wanna lose any of Beau or Pulock. Trading Barzal is out of the question, at least until he asks for it.

In the perfect world we trade/not re-sign Lee/Eberle and have homegrown wingers to put in their places, but it's the Isles, so... You still have to pay someone to play in Lee's spot and cheap wingers don't grow on trees.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
There is a situation where we comfortably can afford Lee, but it's complicated. How much money will be needed to re-sign all the young guys? How much money will both Eberle and Lee want going forward? How much money will go to JT (in that scenario)? And there's also a chance we won't be able to do any upgrades on FA market, so a trade or two will be needed and I think Eberle and Lee should be considered, I wouldn't wanna lose any of Beau or Pulock. Trading Barzal is out of the question, at least until he asks for it.

In the perfect world we trade/not re-sign Lee/Eberle and have homegrown wingers to put in their places, but it's the Isles, so... You still have to pay someone to play in Lee's spot and cheap wingers don't grow on trees.

I think it's kind of time for Ho-Sang and Dal Colle to either show up or get shipped out. Bellows is in play too. That's what I think about how we could cheap out. Not a great option, but a necessary one in a salary cap NHL. You have to know what you have in these kids going forward. JT and Barzal do the heavy lifting anyway and should be expected to perform considering their stature on the team.

Converting Lee, Eberle, and Nelson to the preferred currency of draft picks and futures gives us more flexibility in trying to acquire other assets like a top-4 d-man or two and maybe a goalie. Liquidate to cash and maximize your value. Then go shop.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I think it's kind of time for Ho-Sang and Dal Colle to either show up or get shipped out. Bellows is in play too. That's what I think about how we could cheap out. Not a great option, but a necessary one in a salary cap NHL. You have to know what you have in these kids going forward. JT and Barzal do the heavy lifting anyway and should be expected to perform considering their stature on the team.

Ho-Sang and Dal Colle were drafter in 2014, right? With how much younger the league is getting, it's about time for them. Bellows definitely should get a chance to prove if he's ready or not, but the guy will be 20 by then, I really don't see a problem here. He should be ready to play. Especially if we still have JT and Barzal and the second one doesn't have a huge sophomore slump.

Converting Lee, Eberle, and Nelson to the preferred currency of draft picks and futures gives us more flexibility in trying to acquire other assets like a top-4 d-man or two and maybe a goalie. Liquidate to cash and maximize your value. Then go shop.

One way to look at it, yes. Trade two for draft picks and then package the other (re-signed on a reasonable contract would be perfect) to get a goalie or a d-man. We need to do something with this team, because with the current roster we're not getting anywhere.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Ho-Sang and Dal Colle were drafter in 2014, right? With how much younger the league is getting, it's about time for them. Bellows definitely should get a chance to prove if he's ready or not, but the guy will be 20 by then, I really don't see a problem here. He should be ready to play. Especially if we still have JT and Barzal and the second one doesn't have a huge sophomore slump.

One way to look at it, yes. Trade two for draft picks and then package the other (re-signed on a reasonable contract would be perfect) to get a goalie or a d-man. We need to do something with this team, because with the current roster we're not getting anywhere.

Lee for Brodin. Add whatever sweeteners if needed. If Lee is willing to re-sign with his hometown team then maybe we can get a 1st as a cherry on top?
Eberle for a 1st and prospect.
Nelson for a 1st or 2nd+.

I don't think acquiring picks is all that hard, even Snow can do that and he did get good value for Hamonic at least. If Snow is not in charge and we have all that extra cash, something positive should be able to get done.

Reactions: Instant

Lord at War

Mar 27, 2017
L.I. Sound Shore
The Isles just squandered their Barclays Center money. You have to consider that the club has reverted to a limited revenue suburban cap-floor type team now. Only players on rookie contracts or the cheapest of free agents can be retained. That is why it was critical to keep Garth Snow, he is a master of managing a suburban cap floor club.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The Isles just squandered their Barclays Center money. You have to consider that the club has reverted to a limited revenue suburban cap-floor type team now. Only players on rookie contracts or the cheapest of free agents can be retained. That is why it was critical to keep Garth Snow, he is a master of managing a suburban cap floor club.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

iggy

Aug 2, 2005
Wasn`t there a rumor that Arizona was considering moving Max Domi?
Offer 12th overall, Nelson, and Pelech for Domi.
If JT re-signs, we have our 3rd line center.
If he doesn`t, he becomes 2nd line center.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Assuming the Islanders ink JT

They have to work on an extension with Eberle as soon as allowed. Offer him the same deal Bailey just signed, If he takes the contract (roughly 1m cut in cap), you can then offer Lee the same contract (roughly 1.5m raise) and both contracts become cost neutral. Then you can hold onto both until either Bellows or Ho-Sang push their way into the top 6, or cap becomes a problem (Barzal/Beauvillier needs raises). At THAT point, you look to trade one or both of Eberle/Lee. When they are still signed for a handful of years to manageable deals, you've got their replacement(s) AND JT locked in.

They can sign both Eberle and Lee to the Bailey contract, and retain everyone they need including Tavares. It shouldn't start hurting cap space for another 2 years when Barzal comes off his ELC.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Wasn`t there a rumor that Arizona was considering moving Max Domi?
Offer 12th overall, Nelson, and Pelech for Domi.
If JT re-signs, we have our 3rd line center.
If he doesn`t, he becomes 2nd line center.

Why pay that price for a 3rd line C? Vancouver supposedly has Gaunce on the market, and there are no less than 3 veteran centers going UFA that would cost less than $1.5m.

iggy

Aug 2, 2005
Good young centers are hard to come by. I believe Domi has more to offer.
Can see him being a very solid 2nd line center. This is more in case JT bolts.
If JT stays then Domi could be a top 6 wing.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Why is Arizona trading their top line winger? I cringe at what it would cost to bring him here. Nelson, Pelech and the 12th is a fantasy I can tell you that right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad