Next season: what this team should look like

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
KISS

Start with simple fixes that are attainable. Gaunce is out of options and Vancouver is going to move him. He's making 750K for another 2 years, has good size, good at faceoffs and solid defensively. Offer one of the too many (blocked) defensemen we've got, or Brock Nelson if they toss in a 3rd rounder.

BARzalDOWN

Apr 20, 2007
No way do you trade Eberle, not now.

I understand he’d bring back good value, but I don’t see why you would separate him and barzal right now. Barzal is still young and establishing himself in this league and you can tell, he plays with the most confidence when he’s out there with Eberle. If you trade away Eberle, how does that affect his development? Going from Eberle to Perron is a huge drop-off.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Wasn`t there a rumor that Arizona was considering moving Max Domi?
Offer 12th overall, Nelson, and Pelech for Domi.
If JT re-signs, we have our 3rd line center.
If he doesn`t, he becomes 2nd line center.
Are you nuts! Domi just ain't that good

SI

Feb 16, 2013
You're in two camps - Keep Lee and trade Eberle or Keep Eberle and trade Lee.

I say you keep Lee and sign him - there's room in the cap and real $ there.

If the plan is to draft two Fowards let's say it is Hayton and Kravtsov - a guy like Kravtsov and Ho-Sang with their skill and speed replace Eberle in the top 6.

You can't replace what Lee gives you.

Eberle's stock is higher Than last season - cash in and get that top 4.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Assuming the Islanders ink JT

They have to work on an extension with Eberle as soon as allowed. Offer him the same deal Bailey just signed, If he takes the contract (roughly 1m cut in cap), you can then offer Lee the same contract (roughly 1.5m raise) and both contracts become cost neutral. Then you can hold onto both until either Bellows or Ho-Sang push their way into the top 6, or cap becomes a problem (Barzal/Beauvillier needs raises). At THAT point, you look to trade one or both of Eberle/Lee. When they are still signed for a handful of years to manageable deals, you've got their replacement(s) AND JT locked in.

They can sign both Eberle and Lee to the Bailey contract, and retain everyone they need including Tavares. It shouldn't start hurting cap space for another 2 years when Barzal comes off his ELC.

Okay, so that's the ideal situation with forwards. Too bad ideal situations seem to never happen with this team.
A\ What if one of (or both) Lee/Eberle don't agree to $5M contracts?
B\ It is becoming problematic with the cap when Beauvillier needs a raise (and that's one year before Barzal)
In season 2019/20 our two top lines would look like that:
Bailey ($5M) Tavares ($12M) Lee ($5M)
Beauviller ($5-6M???) Barzal (ELC) Eberle ($5M)

And we would still have Clutter, Leddy and Boychuk contracts. That's not sustainable. There's a lot of talk about how Toronto won't be able to keep their three young players and we're gonna keep six. Sure. Not to mention have that (hopefully) around $10M for Barzal the next year.
C\ Did not include the rumored long-term extension with Pulock that is going to cost us money (and not the monopoly kind)
D\ We still need another solid shutdown centre somewhere in there
E\ That would mean our defence and goaltending situation are adressed on FA market and overpaying for those would mean less money left for re-signing the core player (assuming we need a top pair d-man, another solid d-man to replace CDH and goaltender)
F\ Re-signing Hickey - do or not to do, that is the question
G\ We're basically stuck with the same, shitty team with no money or assets to upgrade defence/goaltending

It's not like I want to trade Lee or Eberle (or both) because I don't like these guys. I do. I would want them to stay if the Isles were in a different situation, but we need that top pair d-man, shutdown centre and a goaltender and singing free agents on these positions would guarantee we lose one of Beauvillier or Pulock and I know which guys I want to keep. We could try to get Washington to give us one of their goaltenders, but it's the same division and it's going to be a pretty hefty price not to mention that top pair d-man don't grow on trees in Islanderland.

The league is getting younger and younger. Dal Colle, Ho-Sang and Bellows should get their chance to prove they can do it on NHL level, because we need those cheap wingers to go into the line up and do their job well. Especially if we're gonna have two expensive centres going forward.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Okay, so that's the ideal situation with forwards. Too bad ideal situations seem to never happen with this team.
B\ It is becoming problematic with the cap when Beauvillier needs a raise (and that's one year before Barzal)

And we would still have Clutter, Leddy and Boychuk contracts. That's not sustainable. There's a lot of talk about how Toronto won't be able to keep their three young players and we're gonna keep six. Sure. Not to mention have that (hopefully) around $10M for Barzal the next year.
C\ Did not include the rumored long-term extension with Pulock that is going to cost us money (and not the monopoly kind)
E\ That would mean our defence and goaltending situation are adressed on FA market and overpaying for those would mean less money left for re-signing the core player (assuming we need a top pair d-man, another solid d-man to replace CDH and goaltender)
G\ We're basically stuck with the same, ****ty team with no money or assets to upgrade defence/goaltending

It's not like I want to trade Lee or Eberle (or both) because I don't like these guys. I do. I would want them to stay if the Isles were in a different situation, but we need that top pair d-man, shutdown centre and a goaltender and singing free agents on these positions would guarantee we lose one of Beauvillier or Pulock and I know which guys I want to keep. We could try to get Washington to give us one of their goaltenders, but it's the same division and it's going to be a pretty hefty price not to mention that top pair d-man don't grow on trees in Islanderland.

The league is getting younger and younger. Dal Colle, Ho-Sang and Bellows should get their chance to prove they can do it on NHL level, because we need those cheap wingers to go into the line up and do their job well. Especially if we're gonna have two expensive centres going forward.
Beau can take a similar bridge deal of 2.5m for two years before he'll need bigger $.

Signing both Eberle and Lee is potentially problematic - it can be done (there is room in the cap), but more likely mgmt will choose one to sign and hope the kids (bellows and one of the 2018 draft picks) to step up

SI

Feb 16, 2013

G\ We're basically stuck with the same, ****ty team with no money or assets to upgrade defence/goaltending

Ho-Sang will be on this team next season. Dal Colle is a bust.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Can we change the thread title, every time I see it I grimace.

Should be either "What this team should look like" or "How this team should look". Please, PK, change it! I'll take a picture of my "I love Bailey" bumpersticker if need be....

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

A) I answered.... they accept or get traded. Look at the haul Nash brought at the deadline. Lee will probably accept.
B) Beauvillier gets a bridge deal. By 19/20 you trade a signed Lee/Eberle and replace them with Bellows/JHS
C) Pulock isn't getting a 5m contract because he hasn't deserved it and would have a gigantic set if he expects that much
D) A solid shutdown C can be had for less than 1.5m on the UFA market
E) Covered this
F) f*** NO!!!! What is the obsession with bad players around here?
G) I'd argue the bigger problem with this team is behind the bench and in the front office. But adding a 4th line C and middle pairing D isn't going to prevent any of this from happening.

I covered this..... when cap becomes a problem (if it does) you always have the option of trading Lee/Eberle. If they sign that contract they will absolutely be moveable.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
A) I answered.... they accept or get traded. Look at the haul Nash brought at the deadline. Lee will probably accept.
B) Beauvillier gets a bridge deal. By 19/20 you trade a signed Lee/Eberle and replace them with Bellows/JHS
C) Pulock isn't getting a 5m contract because he hasn't deserved it and would have a gigantic set if he expects that much
E) Covered this
F) **** NO!!!! What is the obsession with bad players around here?
G) I'd argue the bigger problem with this team is behind the bench and in the front office. But adding a 4th line C and middle pairing D isn't going to prevent any of this from happening.

I covered this..... when cap becomes a problem (if it does) you always have the option of trading Lee/Eberle. If they sign that contract they will absolutely be moveable.

Why would Eberle accept a haircut of 1.5 mill over what he has been making after this last season?

Lee has been nothing but a bargain.

Season 1- Made $102 k with partial season in AHL and then scored 9 goals and 5 assists in call up last 22 games of the year.

Rookie season signed to 825 k qualifier and put 25 goals and 21 assists.

Summer signs 4 year 15m contract.

Season 2 contract pays 1.75 m scores 15 goals and 21 assists.

Season 3 contract 3.5 million, scores 34 goals and 22 assists.

Season 4 contract 4.5 million scores 40 goals and 23 assists.

Upcoming season is due 5.5m

Lee has averaged 30 goals per 82 games played since coming into the league and has been paid an average of 2.67m. I would say he has provided a very fair value to the Islanders. I guess Bellows, MDC, and JHS better be ready.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Beau can take a similar bridge deal of 2.5m for two years before he'll need bigger $.

Signing both Eberle and Lee is potentially problematic - it can be done (there is room in the cap), but more likely mgmt will choose one to sign and hope the kids (bellows and one of the 2018 draft picks) to step up

It's speculation and it heavily depends on what kind of season Beau will have starting the fall. But if he keeps the level from the second half of this season or goes above it, I'd rather have him locked up for the 8 years. He's a versatile player, can play wing or centre, have chemistry with Barzal and we need to see if he can also produce without him, but I hope he will. In this case, the core players in 19/20 are: Tavares, Barzal, Beauvillier, a solid d-man that we're gonna get from a moon and a solid goalie. The rest is expendable no matter how much I love them.

Besides, it's not only the matter of having a room in the cap to re-sign them (that can be done), but trading them gets us assets (hopefully, draft picks). And we need those assets to adress the issues with this team, mosty defence and goaltending. Yes, we could get a shot at some players that are/will be free agents soon, but let's face it, no one important will come to NYI and we would have to overpay for decent players and that would hinder re-signing our young core players.

The kids HAVE TO step up. If Tavares re-signs and when Barzal is going to come off his ELC we're most likely gonna have two centres making more than $20M. (Yes, I'm assuming that Barzal is only going to get better.) We will need cheap, solid wingers that can work with them to balance the money side of things. And yeah, I know the cap is going to be higher, but still. The kids need to step up.

Ho-Sang will be on this team next season. Dal Colle is a bust.

I know Dal Colle is probably a bust, but he should at least attend the training camp. If Ho-Sang can work out his shit, I'd gladly see him in the line-up. And Bellows. It's time for him to come here too.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
E) Covered this

A\ Okay, that's an option.
B\ I'm just gonna repeat myself very shortly here - if Beau can repeat/improve his performance from the second half of this season, I'd like to see him among our core players and for me that means the kid is getting locked for 8 years. If he doesn't, then I'm completely fine with a bridge deal.
C\ Look, I just said it's rumored. I don't think he should get that, but there's a possibility he will.
D\ Less than $1.5M on the UFA market means at least $2-2.5M for the Isles, because no one wants to come here and we need to overpay them.
E\ Where? Because I can't find this.
F\ Well, we need to fill the defence with someone (someones). Not a fan of him staying, but...
G\ Oh yes, the biggest problem with this team is behind the bench and in the front office. Completely agree. That said, we're losing de Haan (which is stupid), Boychuk will only get worse, I don't even want to imagine how Leddy will look like next season... We need at least one top pair d-man, someone solid to replace de Haan and a little bit of depth, because right now we have only four d-men signed for next season (though Pulock for sure will be getting re-signed, we just don't know the term/money). Unless we want Davidson and Hickey back.

And yeah, the biggest problem our defence had this season was Weight and his stupid system. They would perform considerably better with a solid defensive system in place that would include all players on the ice (which would mean our forwards would have to behave better defensively as well). That still doesn't mean it's a playoff caliber defense.

But trading Lee/Eberle is not only about cap management for me. It's also a way to get certain assets that will help adress the issues this team has. If we're gonna somehow get the top pair d-man and a goalie, they won't come in cheap. I would even try to re-signed Nelson, who I don't want to see on this team, just to have him as a nice stat to sweeten the trade or something. Accumulate draft picks and try to trade for players that we need, because UFA market is not a viable option for all of these.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It's speculation and it heavily depends on what kind of season Beau will have starting the fall. But if he keeps the level from the second half of this season or goes above it, I'd rather have him locked up for the 8 years. He's a versatile player, can play wing or centre, have chemistry with Barzal and we need to see if he can also produce without him, but I hope he will. In this case, the core players in 19/20 are: Tavares, Barzal, Beauvillier, a solid d-man that we're gonna get from a moon and a solid goalie. The rest is expendable no matter how much I love them.

Besides, it's not only the matter of having a room in the cap to re-sign them (that can be done), but trading them gets us assets (hopefully, draft picks). And we need those assets to adress the issues with this team, mosty defence and goaltending. Yes, we could get a shot at some players that are/will be free agents soon, but let's face it, no one important will come to NYI and we would have to overpay for decent players and that would hinder re-signing our young core players.

The kids HAVE TO step up. If Tavares re-signs and when Barzal is going to come off his ELC we're most likely gonna have two centres making more than $20M. (Yes, I'm assuming that Barzal is only going to get better.) We will need cheap, solid wingers that can work with them to balance the money side of things. And yeah, I know the cap is going to be higher, but still. The kids need to step up.

I know Dal Colle is probably a bust, but he should at least attend the training camp. If Ho-Sang can work out his ****, I'd gladly see him in the line-up. And Bellows. It's time for him to come here too.

On Beau- agreed it all depends on his performance next season and if he builds on that and scores 50+ then a longer bridge deal could be made but more likely around 4m a season.

Barzal's bridge deal will be north of 7m for sure. And Pulock could be signed to a similar deal to Pelech but a higher sac - say between 2-2.5

Dal Colle will be at camp. Expectations should be really low at this point.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
E) Covered this

Any deal with Eberle and Lee will have serious bonus $ attached and a NMC for at least the first couple of years. Trading them mid way thru the deal is not realistic.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I really like Eberle and what he meant to Barzal this season. My hesitancy in moving him is strictly for Barzal, but if I have to move one or the other - I move Eberle for the top 4 for a guy like Brodin or Brodie.

There is a change in Minnesota, but not sure if they would do a top 4 for a RW.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Rather see Nelson + 12OA for Brodin, keep Lee

God. no.

Make it Lee, Pelech, Nelson and a 2nd for Brodin, Coyle and their 1st (22nd). We get our 2nd LD, our 3rd C and draft Alexeyev at 22 . . . it also gives Minnesota TWO home grown products and we can stop debating Nelson's worth FOREVER . . . that's got to be worth something!

Then having to draft centers at 11 and 12 are a better option in case no defender slips down. Kotkaniemi at #11 and maybe even a Denisenko or a trade down with #12. Still love offering the #12 to the Rangers for the two late firsts and a 2nd. Then maybe one of the late 1sts goes to Washington for Grubauer.

We could re-make the entire team in one shot.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
God. no.

Make it Lee, Pelech, Nelson and a 2nd for Brodin, Coyle and their 1st (22nd). We get our 2nd LD, our 3rd C and draft Alexeyev at 22 . . . it also gives Minnesota TWO home grown products and we can stop debating Nelson's worth FOREVER . . . that's got to be worth something!

Then having to draft centers at 11 and 12 are a better option in case no defender slips down. Kotkaniemi at #11 and maybe even a Denisenko or a trade down with #12. Still love offering the #12 to the Rangers for the two late firsts and a 2nd. Then maybe one of the late 1sts goes to Washington for Grubauer.

I could see a bigger deal involving Isles and wild.
Coyle doesn't play C though.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
On Beau- agreed it all depends on his performance next season and if he builds on that and scores 50+ then a longer bridge deal could be made but more likely around 4m a season.

Barzal's bridge deal will be north of 7m for sure. And Pulock could be signed to a similar deal to Pelech but a higher sac - say between 2-2.5

Dal Colle will be at camp. Expectations should be really low at this point.

I can't understand one thing - why the bridge deals? I could give Ho-Sang a bridge deal, sure. Beauvillier, if he has a rocky season, too. But Barzal? No way I'm not locking him up for 8 years. It doesn't make any sense to me. If we sign him on a bridge deal, we get 5-6 years around $8M and then have to deal with the free agent thing and him being in his prime and all of that, so after that we give him an 8 years extention +$10M and he's 36 by the time that contract ends and for me it just hurts the team. I'd much rather give him 8 years off the ELC to around $10M, maybe a little bit more, depending on how he's gonna develop. In this case we get all Barzal's prime, the contract is worth more, but it keeps him with us until he's 31. And then, depending on his play, give him the shorter contract.

And before you'll say "but we can give him a shorter contract than 8 years after the bridge deal" do you really believe Tavares won't end up getting 7/8 years this season?

Any deal with Eberle and Lee will have serious bonus $ attached and a NMC for at least the first couple of years. Trading them mid way thru the deal is not realistic.

Well, there's also that.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I could see a bigger deal involving Isles and wild.
Coyle doesn't play C though.

Must have played some, he's listed as one, maybe not this year? Had a 52% faceoff number this season. Still would be a great 3rd line piece either way.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Likely, if we're realistic...

Beau - Barzal - Eberle
Lee - Bailey - UFA
Bellows - Nelson - Ho-Sang/Fritz
Ladd - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Johnston

Leddy - Boychuk
Pelech - Pulock
Toews - Mayfield
Davidson - Aho

Halak - Greiss

Yes, I'm taking the UFAs and RFAs into consideration. If they are listed above, a deal is done.

What I can still imagine is that both Lee and Leddy are moved in somewhat lateral moves that bring back a goalie and a different top 4 Dman, in which case one of de Haan or Hickey may be retained.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Yes, I'm taking the UFAs and RFAs into consideration. If they are listed above, a deal is done.

What I can still imagine is that both Lee and Leddy are moved in somewhat lateral moves that bring back a goalie and a different top 4 Dman, in which case one of de Haan or Hickey may be retained.

I think I read somewhere that Nelson doesn't want to stay here. And the Isles are not interested in re-signing de Haan.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
God. no.

Interesting idea...

One of the main problems though is that Snow just LOVES him some Minnesotans too!

Although Brodin is a pretty typical Minnesotan name.:sarcasm:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think I read somewhere that Nelson doesn't want to stay here. And the Isles are not interested in re-signing de Haan.

No, and Yes.

From everything I've heard/seen/read, Nelson is in no rush to leave and even thought his body language doesn't lead on to it, he is not happy with how little he's achieved thus far.

I also believe wholeheartedly that Snow sees Nelson as a pet-project of sorts and thinks that at sommmmme point, he's gonna break out and put up a 35-30-65 style season.

Don't see it myself.

That most are assuming that de Haan is walking is no secret. Safe to say that Snow saw him more as a trade deadline pawn who he could replace immediately with Toews. The two almost simultaneous shoulder injuries (coincidence?) prevented us from ever seeing that come to fruition.

Fact is thought that both de Haan (was pretty much the best all-round D before injury) and Hickey (career high in points and +20) are both likely to just walk away. And I like them better than everyone not named Leddy, Boychuk, and Pulock. Both are however, felt to be appreciated and well-liked by their teammates. And we are all about that cozy clubhouse feeling here in Snow's Islanderville.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

So many thing still need to happen that could influence those decisions. I don’t see Eberle asking for much more from the isles then what he currently gets. And if he does then the decision gets easier. Lee will get a big raise. Lee is home grown, so if Garth is still in charge, i’d guess Lee gets priority over Ebs.

If he shocked if they won’t both on the roster to start the season.

iggy

Aug 2, 2005
Likely, if we're realistic...

Beau - Barzal - Eberle
Lee - Bailey - UFA
Bellows - Nelson - Ho-Sang/Fritz
Ladd - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Johnston

Leddy - Boychuk
Pelech - Pulock
Toews - Mayfield
Davidson - Aho

Halak - Greiss

So the same D and goalies that let in 300 goals this season?
Garth is that you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad