Player Discussion Next season: JPG or Zibby in the 2nd line center role?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Zibby =a better offensive Eller ,JGP= a better defensive Deharnis.Neither are number 2 centers if you hope to go any where in this league,very good number 3 guys however

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
1B = Turris
2B = Zbad
3A = Pageau

We need to trade Zbad for a 1A or another 1B or else we are going nowhere.
That, or trade Turris for an elite 1A (not happening)

If this were an EA sports game, you need your top 2 C's to = 170 overall (just an example)
Turris is a 86 and Zbad is a 77

So Zbad needs to be traded for an 84+ OR Turris needs to be traded for a 93+ if we are ever going to be relevant.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
1B = Turris
2B = Zbad
3A = Pageau

If this were an EA sports game, you need your top 2 C's to = 170 overall (just an example)

So Zbad needs to be traded for an 84+ OR Turris needs to be traded for a 93+ if we are ever going to be relevant.

Yikes. Hard to take a hockey opinion seriously when it relies on a video game's ranking system and then assigns arbitrary rankings.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
1B = Turris
2B = Zbad
3A = Pageau

The Zib hate is reaching critical levels on HF. But I guess if we're gonna play EA Sports now I'd add this to your breakdown:

Turris is a 86 with 86 potential and Zbad is a 77 with 90 potential.

Makes more sense now, and it still makes no sense. :laugh:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Yikes. Hard to take a hockey opinion seriously when it relies on a video game's ranking system and then assigns arbitrary rankings.

It's called an example...
Did you not understand that we need a better combo than Turris and Zbad??

The Zib hate is reaching critical levels on HF. But I guess if we're gonna play EA Sports now I'd add this to your breakdown:

Turris is a 86 with 86 potential and Zbad is a 77 with 90 potential.

Makes more sense now, and it still makes no sense. :laugh:

I hate Zibby and always have. I don't think he has a lot of untapped potential. Agree to disagree on that level I guess.

If you think Turris/Zbad is a good enough 1-2 punch to win a Stanley cup, you're out to lunch.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I'm assuming/hoping he is being sarcastic

I used a rating system in a video game and even included "(just an example)" and "if this were an EA sports game"

The point was clearly stated regardless. I simply didn't want to say we need someone like Grioux, Malkin, Pavelski, Johansen, RNH, etc... because that brings on "How are we going to get one of those guys?" questions... which is irrelevant. So, I used numbers instead. It doesn't take a genius to know what I meant.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I hate Zibby and always have.

That's really all you had to say.

If you think Turris/Zbad is a good enough 1-2 punch to win a Stanley cup, you're out to lunch.

Right. Nostradamus?

Zbad is 22 and Turris is 26. They have no room to grow!!! :sarcasm:

I used a rating system in a video game and even included "(just an example)" and "if this were an EA sports game"

I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say that you didn't help yourself out with that one.

The point was clearly stated regardless. I simply didn't want to say we need someone like Giroux, Malkin, Pavelski, Johansen, RNH, etc... because that brings on "How are we going to get one of those guys?" questions... which is irrelevant. So, I used numbers instead. It doesn't take a genius to know what I meant.

"What you meant" was actually a negative bias towards Zibanejad that actually makes everyone figure out you're out to lunch on this particular subject.

We don't need someone like Giroux,Malkin,Johansen because we have Turris.

Just to clarify, Pavelski mostly plays wing. And RNH is pretty much in the same tier as Zibanejad as of right now (he's a bit better). Look at their relative stats this season and last. RNH's are slightly better, but it Zbad shows just a bit more growth next season they're pretty much even imo.

Considering we have Turris, who is a 1B, 65 point center. We don't NEED someone like Giroux,Malkin,Johansen.

We need someone who can provide pretty much the same production as Turris. That can easily be Zibanejad. He's a 50 point player now. If his game matures a bit more, we're set. Especially with Pageau leading the 3rd line. We'd have two 1Bs and one 2B (or 2A depending on how Pageau grows further down the road). That's really good.

Who's Philly's 2nd center? What about the Preds? Who's their 3rd center?

You're forgetting that the Sens all-around depth is better than the sum of its parts, and that Turris,Zibanejad,Pageau is up there because all three are very good players. All three can be 2nd line centers on a lot of teams. And Turris especially can be a 1st center on a lot of teams. Zbad on the other hand has that potential, but it remains to be seen if he reaches it or not (and again, he's just 22).

Anyways, considering you "hate Zibby and always have", I can't help but expect that my post will be gibberish to you.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
That's really all you had to say.

Right. Nostradamus?

Zbad is 22 and Turris is 26. They have no room to grow!!! :sarcasm:

I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say that you didn't help yourself out with that one.

"What you meant" was actually a negative bias towards Zibanejad that actually makes everyone figure out you're out to lunch on this particular subject.

We don't need someone like Giroux,Malkin,Johansen because we have Turris.

Just to clarify, Pavelski mostly plays wing. And RNH is pretty much in the same tier as Zibanejad as of right now (he's a bit better). Look at their relative stats this season and last. RNH's are slightly better, but it Zbad shows just a bit more growth next season they're pretty much even imo.

Considering we have Turris, who is a 1B, 65 point center. We don't NEED someone like Giroux,Malkin,Johansen.

We need someone who can provide pretty much the same production as Turris
. That can easily be Zibanejad. He's a 50 point player now. If his game matures a bit more, we're set. Especially with Pageau leading the 3rd line. We'd have two 1Bs and one 2B (or 2A depending on how Pageau grows further down the road). That's really good.

Who's Philly's 2nd center? What about the Preds? Who's their 3rd center?

You're forgetting that the Sens all-around depth is better than the sum of its parts, and that Turris,Zibanejad,Pageau is up there because all three are very good players. All three can be 2nd line centers on a lot of teams. And Turris especially can be a 1st center on a lot of teams. Zbad on the other hand has that potential, but it remains to be seen if he reaches it or not (and again, he's just 22).

Anyways, considering you "hate Zibby and always have", I can't help but expect that my post will be gibberish to you.

1B = Turris
2B = Zbad
3A = Pageau

That, or trade Turris for an elite 1A (not happening).

So we agree on what we need
I disagree Zbad is that player. For years I've been saying he's an unreliable 55pt player in his prime. That's totally acceptable as a 2C, but not when your 1C is bottom tier (for 1C's). So... in my opinion, we need to upgrade one of them.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
So we agree on what we need
I disagree Zbad is that player. For years I've been saying he's an unreliable 55pt player in his prime. That's totally acceptable as a 2C, but not when your 1C is bottom tier (for 1C's). So... in my opinion, we need to upgrade one of them.

How can you know his prime?

He's CURRENTLY a 50 pt player. You don't think he can provide a 10 point increase as he grows? (he's 22)

Did you forget that this is only his FOURTH year playing on North American ice?

Do you agree that if he simply becomes a 60 point center, that no upgrades are needed? (he would be a 1B, so we would have two 1Bs)

And lastly, would you agree that if he just works out hard this summer and comes into training camp in good shape, that he can avoid the beginning season mega slump he's had the past two seasons and thus become that 60 point center just by avoiding said slump?

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I don't like this 1B 2B 3A stuff. There's 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's and depths.

Zib and Turris are both #2C's if you ask me.

When I say that, I don't say it without merit. I think about how many teams in the league they'd play that position on. I feel that both of them would be able to hold a #2C job on most of the teams in the league. Neither would be a #1C on many.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I don't like this 1B 2B 3A stuff. There's 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's and depths.

Zib and Turris are both #2C's if you ask me.

When I say that, I don't say it without merit. I think about how many teams in the league they'd play that position on. I feel that both of them would be able to hold a #2C job on most of the teams in the league. Neither would be a #1C on many.

If there are just 1's, 2's, 3's and 4's, then Kyle Turris is definitely a 1.

All empirical evidence proves that. Every statistical category you can name proves it. He would be a 1C on a lot of teams.

So using your logic we have a 1 in Turris and a 2 in Zibanejad, so we're good...

Using the 1A 1B logic, a slight improvement from Zib would give us two 1Bs. Using your logic, a slight improvement from Zib would give us two 1's. So it's essentially the same thing.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I guess it's semantics... I just always feel like people are adding these letters to push up their favorite players and put down the ones they aren't fond of.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I dont hate Zibby ,i just dont feel he fits into the mix well here thats all .Him and Hoffy seem to either do it all themselves and produce,or not really get much done.They arent possession style players ,which we need .In order to become a much better defensive club

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Zibby showing up in games that don't matter?

The problem with zibby is his vision is avg at best so he doesn't utilize his linemates like pageau does. He also needs to use his frame more to protect the puck

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

The problem with zibby is his vision is avg at best so he doesn't utilize his linemates like pageau does. He also needs to use his frame more to protect the puck
Yep pretty much

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

It's a process.

He's been playing much better (higher pace, more physical and a lot smarter) for a little while now.

The critical juncture is down the road, not in the past.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Pageau is like that little ugly French guy at the bar who is persistent and takes you home because you kind of respect the work he is putting into it. (and also, you feel a bit sorry for him)

Zibanejad is the tall, suave latin?persian?indian? guy at the side of the bar, just chilling and avoiding eye contact. He's got game, but you're kind of annoyed at him for being a passive dickwad and not manning up to talk to you.

Take your pick.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The issue is you see the tools with Zibanejad but at times he looks awkward in his own body (like Wiercioch only not as bad).

Other times it looks like the thinking part of his game isn't up to snuff. But then you see him make smart plays and you go "what?".

So the question now is if the #2C is the role he is best suited for (streaky/inconsistent). To me it's looking more and more likely that's the case.

But I'm not ready to give up on him (in other words #2C being his ceiling) yet. He's young.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad