Next Predators Captain?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Who do we have that can truly be vocal leaders? That's the one thing I feel like we've lacked in the past. I could see Joey or PK potentially filling that role in 2 years. For now I think it's definitely Fisher. If we were to weigh 'best player' more heavily than 'vocal leader' then I think we add Josi and FF9 to that list. But really I think it's a discussion for 2 seasons out because Fisher is probably a lock this year.

After writing this I feel like I may have slighted Neal. I've grown to really respect him as a player but don't know what his locker room presence is like. If he's good on that side then he definitely needs to be way up the list.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Who do we have that can truly be vocal leaders? That's the one thing I feel like we've lacked in the past. I could see Joey or PK potentially filling that role in 2 years. For now I think it's definitely Fisher. If we were to weigh 'best player' more heavily than 'vocal leader' then I think we add Josi and FF9 to that list. But really I think it's a discussion for 2 seasons out because Fisher is probably a lock this year.

After writing this I feel like I may have slighted Neal. I've grown to really respect him as a player but don't know what his locker room presence is like. If he's good on that side then he definitely needs to be way up the list.

At least on ice, I see Josi. From watching those beneath the ice episodes, Josi was far more vocal on the ice than Fisher.

dougie1107

Jul 6, 2012
Memphis
The more I think about it, the more I think it'll be Fisher, which I am 100% ok with. If not him, we'll roll with three A's for a year. After next year I think it'll be between Josi and Subban.

I was hesitant to vote Fisher because I wasn't sure if we'd want to give it to a guy I think will likely retire after one season, but with an extra day to think about it I really think (and hope) he's going to get it. He is now the heart and soul of this team. If this trade happened a year ago, this would've been a no-brainer. I'm starting to think it still is.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
The more I think about it, the more I think it'll be Fisher, which I am 100% ok with. If not him, we'll roll with three A's for a year. After next year I think it'll be between Josi and Subban.

I was hesitant to vote Fisher because I wasn't sure if we'd want to give it to a guy I think will likely retire after one season, but with an extra day to think about it I really think (and hope) he's going to get it. He is now the heart and soul of this team. If this trade happened a year ago, this would've been a no-brainer. I'm starting to think it still is.

This is the reason I do not want Fisher to get the C. I want Josi and I do not want Subban to get it. There are others on this team that deserve it so much more.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I voted Fisher yesterday, but after sleeping on it, I think Josi gets it. No disrespect to Fisher, but the trend these days is giving it to your young star.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I voted Subban during my hype yesterday, but after giving it some thought I'm certain it will go Fisher before Subban. Give it a year or to and then I think PK will have more than established himself as the leader.

In Weber's conference call yesterday someone asked who he thinks will be the captain now, he said (paraphrasing) "it's not up to me, but that staff knows who it is, there's a good group of leaders and they know who it should be."

The whole time I couldn't help but thinking he was talking about Fisher.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
I think there are several factors speaking in favor of Fisher:

- high profile stars are either young (Forsberg) or have been with the team for a very short time (Johansen, PK)

- I would imagine that Fisher is more of similar mold as leader as Weber, making the transition more fluid. Moving from Weber to less serious person (like Subban) in one step could be too drastic step

- Due to seniority and status in city I would assume Fisher is held in relatively high esteem in the room

- Fisher would be a temporary choice and give the management and team some time to evaluate how the leadership core shapes up post-Weber with Josi, Forsberg, Johansen and Subban presumably as more central figures

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
If its not Fisher, it will be because he told them not to give it to him for just one year. It will be offered to him I would think.

I also think you folks are underestimating Neal. You can be an on ice questionable actor and still be a leader in the room. I don't think he will ever wear the C but I suspect he's already part of the leadership core and may very well get an A next year

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Prior to the trade (Tuesday) Poile identified to the Nashville Post one of his top choices. The article calls Fisher a Gap Filler.

[fieldset=Prior to Weber trade, Poile identified 'a potential captain' among current Predators]
It seemed like a harmless enough comment Tuesday when he said it.

A day later, after the Nashville Predators traded Shea Weber to Montreal, General Manager David Poile’s assessment of Roman Josi’s leadership skills took on much more weight.

“I think that he’s a potential captain, myself,” Poile said in an interview with the Nashville Post. “I think that he’s got a big influence. I think that the guys like him. I think that he really wants to win. I mean, he’s just the whole package. He’s a complete player and just a really good person and he does the right things.

“What’s there not to like about Roman?”

http://www.nashvillepost.com/sports...d-a-potential-captain-among-current-predators
[/fieldset]

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Prior to the trade (Tuesday) Poile identified to the Nashville Post one of his top choices. The article calls Fisher a Gap Filler.

[fieldset=Prior to Weber trade, Poile identified 'a potential captain' among current Predators]
It seemed like a harmless enough comment Tuesday when he said it.

A day later, after the Nashville Predators traded Shea Weber to Montreal, General Manager David Poile’s assessment of Roman Josi’s leadership skills took on much more weight.

“I think that he’s a potential captain, myself,†Poile said in an interview with the Nashville Post. “I think that he’s got a big influence. I think that the guys like him. I think that he really wants to win. I mean, he’s just the whole package. He’s a complete player and just a really good person and he does the right things.

“What’s there not to like about Roman?â€

http://www.nashvillepost.com/sports...d-a-potential-captain-among-current-predators
[/fieldset]

I missed that. Talk about foreshadowing...

I still think the C will be offer to Fisher but he may decline it knowing he's retiring, and if he does, Josi is the frontrunner for the C

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I also think you folks are underestimating Neal. You can be an on ice questionable actor and still be a leader in the room. I don't think he will ever wear the C but I suspect he's already part of the leadership core and may very well get an A next year
Neal already has an A. He got it before the 2014-15 season.

SaskPreds

Jul 7, 2016
Calgary, AB
I don't know if fisher makes much sense as he will most likely be gone after this year. That being said i wouldn't mind if fisher only took it for one year. I would like to see josi take it from the start though.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Why can't we have a captain for just one season (Fisher)? There isn't a rule that a captain has to be the same person for x years is there?

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
We can--there's no rule against it--but likelihood is that this will be Fisher's final year. So do you go with someone who is qualified but there will be no continuity to the subsequent season or do you go with someone younger who will most likely be with the club going forward. That's the question the team has to decide. I have to wonder if there a shift in general attitude among the players so that a certain personality type has become more effective with a group who feels ready to be great and that's why we're hearing Josi and Forsberg and Neal. Not a disrespect of steady quiet leadership but a realization that dynamics change and now is a good time to make a change of direction.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
We can--there's no rule against it--but likelihood is that this will be Fisher's final year. So do you go with someone who is qualified but there will be no continuity to the subsequent season or do you go with someone younger who will most likely be with the club going forward. That's the question the team has to decide. I have to wonder if there a shift in general attitude among the players so that a certain personality type has become more effective with a group who feels ready to be great and that's why we're hearing Josi and Forsberg and Neal. Not a disrespect of steady quiet leadership but a realization that dynamics change and now is a good time to make a change of direction.

Yep totally agree that the culture is/has changed for sure. And I think maybe a bunch of the guys will be great leaders in a year or two (Ryan, Filip, I guess Josi - but it's time our leadership came from the front)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad