Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Yeah but one of these coaches teams played bad. And then immediately played better once he was fired

And then he was hired in interim by another team who got worse when he was hired.
St Louis improved after they fired Berube too. Is Drew Bannister a better coach?

I understand he won a cup, so I’m not comparing the two. I just don’t think a team playing better with a new coach for half a season is an indication the previous coach sucked. Boudreau didn’t get the Canucks to the playoffs the following year either.

And a small sample size when the Devils season was over already isn’t gonna be the dealbreaker. Why also assume that he hasn’t learned anything or evolved since his time as a Canucks coach?

I’m not saying he’s a good hire. I have no idea. But I don’t know why some of you are so sure he’s terrible either.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not sure how Green became the top candidate for the job.

Has done nothing but lose at the NHL level and his teams could never keep the puck out of their net.

The roster he took over in Vancouver was not elite by any means, but he failed to get the best out of what he did have.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Gonna stick to by belief that the other three guys were preferred but Staois waited too long and vacancies opened up, just like he waited toong to fire DJ. Not a fan of Staios at all so far.

It's very hard to disagree with this, even if this opinion is a little premature.

Not a fan of Green myself, but f*** it.. Definitely doesn't scream best in class..

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
St Louis improved after they fired Berube too. Is Drew Bannister a better coach?

I understand he won a cup, so I’m not comparing the two. I just don’t think a team playing better with a new coach for half a season is an indication the previous coach sucked. Boudreau didn’t get the Canucks to the playoffs the following year either.

And a small sample size when the Devils season was over already isn’t gonna be the dealbreaker. Why also assume that he hasn’t learned anything or evolved since his time as a Canucks coach?

I’m not saying he’s a good hire. I have no idea. But I don’t know why some of you are so sure he’s terrible either.
Berube has done something in the NHL to make up for that I guess.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Not sure how Green became the top candidate for the job.

Has done nothing but lose at the NHL level and his teams could never keep the puck out of their net.

The roster he took over in Vancouver was not elite by any means, but he failed to get the best out of what he did have.
I doubt people were jumping at the opportunity. For alot of these guys it's make or break for their next stint. I think they see Korpisalo and Forsberg locked in for next year and aren't willing to bet their careers on that pairing.

This misses some context, like NJD started 21-14-2 under Ruff then went on a massive skid going 9-12-2 before Ruff got fired, so while he didn't turn things around, he also isn't why they sucked.
They got killed by injuries this year too.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Gonna stick to by belief that the other three guys were preferred but Staois waited too long and vacancies opened up, just like he waited toong to fire DJ. Not a fan of Staios at all so far.
Do we have any evidence that any of those coaches wanted to be immediately hired in season? Like, if you are Berube and you are sitting on a STL cheque and have your pick of the litter for a place to land, are you honestly jumping at the first opportunity or waiting for your preferred location?

I get being frustrated that your crush doesn't reciprocate the feelings but we all do understand that other coaches have to actually want to work here too, right? Like just because we want them doesn't mean that they have to jump at our beck and call.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
We will hire another bottom-of-the-barrel guy....with a class of coaches this good that are available....may just have to quit watching this team in person if that's the case.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I doubt people were jumping at the opportunity. For alot of these guys it's make or break for their next stint. I think they see Korpisalo and Forsberg locked in for next year and aren't willing to bet their careers on that pairing.

By all accouts Berube was interested in the positon after he was fired early in the season, but Staios decided to go with a caretaker coach instead.

I'm not going to pretend I am familiar with Green's coaching approach but the results have not been promising in comparison to the alternatives that may have been available earlier this season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
By all accouts Berube was interested in the positon after he was fired early in the season, but Staios decided to go with a caretaker coach instead.

I'm not going to pretend I am familiar with Green's coaching approach but the results have not been promising in comparison to the alternatives that may have been available earlier this season.
Being interested doesn't mean he'd have signed right then and there, he was getting paid the remainder of his contract either way and obviously would have known the options would increase as the year went on.

Here's the problem we find ourselves in, coaches tend to go as far as their goalie will take them, and we've got two coach killers. It's not an easy sell to convince a coach to sign on without even considering the other options.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Ok, and Cassidy would choose to sign with Ottawa over a perennial contender in Vegas why?
My guess would be he’s from Ottawa, played for Hawksbury, also played for 67’s.
Doesn’t mean he signs, but helps.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
My guess. Is he’s from Ottawa, also played for 67’s.
Which means what exactly? I love my mom and dad too but if the choice is working in a city I grew up in with a mid team, or living in Vegas with a star studded roster I don't think its a hard choice

atmx093

STUDzle
Jul 2, 2014
Gatineau
I'm sure Staios is just waiting for the Leafs dumpster fire to go out before going to rummage through the remains and get us some gently used stuff.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
Ok, and Cassidy would choose to sign with Ottawa over a perennial contender in Vegas why?
Do you have any proof that Cassidy would've said no to a coaching job in Ottawa?

Two can play the hypothetical game. Regardless, this team has made many, many errors in judgment and Travis Green would just add another to the list

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Which means what exactly? I love my mom and dad too but if the choice is working in a city I grew up in with a mid team, or living in Vegas with a star studded roster I don't think its a hard choice
Knowing the area helps in that he doesn't view Ottawa as the drive between the airport and the rink in Kanata like many players do, so it helps in that regard but that's not enough to bridge the gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad