Next Predators Captain?

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
It's Fisher but I don't think they'd give it to him for one year if he retires.

Honestly, I think they'll just run 4 A's this year and decide on either Josi or Subban next year.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I think it'll go to Fisher this year and then when he retires it will transfer to Ryan Johansen.

Maybe James Neal, but he's kind of mouthy--I think he'd be fine in the locker room but maybe not so much trying to get a ref to see it his way.

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
I don't think Ellis should be discounted. He's well respected, and has been a captain several times before. Maybe it's just me haha.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The C is almost as much of a kiss of death as the radio show host.

3 captains traded while under contract and still wearing the C (Fitzgerald, Arnott, Weber). Traded the rights of another just before his contract expired and we couldn't keep him for financial reasons (Kimmo). One left as an UFA (Johnson).

Then there was Scott "two weeks as the C" Walker.

McCluffin

Jan 15, 2015
Victoria, BC
Gotta be Josi. Best player on the team and the most recognisable player.. period. Maybe not as much of a fan fav because of Mike Underwood-Fisher, but he is the guy, no question.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The C is almost as much of a kiss of death as the radio show host.

3 captains traded while under contract and still wearing the C (Fitzgerald, Arnott, Weber). Traded the rights of another just before his contract expired and we couldn't keep him for financial reasons (Kimmo). One left as an UFA (Johnson).

Then there was Scott "two weeks as the C" Walker.

Am I misremembering or didn't we strip Arnott of the C and give it to Weber while Arnott was still here

'

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Gotta be Josi. Best player on the team and the most recognisable player.. period. Maybe not as much of a fan fav because of Mike Underwood-Fisher, but he is the guy, no question.

This is why I voted for P.K., it won't be long before he's the talk of Nashville and the face of the franchise. But i'm good with anyone, they could give it to Bitetto and i'd be just as happy.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Before I saw the options my first thought was Josi. Fisher is the most applicable, but who knows how much longer he'll play. If they want to give it to him for a short period of time I wouldn't be opposed to that either.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think it'll go to Fisher this year and then when he retires it will transfer to Ryan Johansen.

Maybe James Neal, but he's kind of mouthy--I think he'd be fine in the locker room but maybe not so much trying to get a ref to see it his way.
Absolutely should not be Joey. He's not of the sort of temperament required for leadership - never was. If it's got to be one of the major forwards, make it Forsberg or something.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Fisher as a final salute before he retires, then Forsberg. No offense at all to PK, but Forsberg has been a rock, has a great attitude, loves the city, just signed a pretty friendly six year deal, and plays excellent two-way hockey. The last may seem silly, but I think some of the best captains are complete players.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Fisher is the only one suitable for and ready to be Captain, IMO. Josi is only just now coming into his own as an elite player and I'm not sure about risking that by throwing the weight of captaincy on his shoulders. Subban probably could be a Captain, but giving the 'C' to someone brand new to the team is very unorthodox. Johansen could perhaps develop as a leader, but he's not there yet and he, too, is very new to the team. I can see one of those (particularly Josi or Subban) getting the 'C' in a year or two, once Fisher is gone, but not at this particular moment, especially with Fisher there as the perfect candidate. It's also just a nice way for the organization to show how much they appreciate Fisher before he hangs them up.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
After Fish it will come down to PK and Josi and im good with either. Johanson, Neal are hotheads Forsberg is too young perhaps if he were 25 or 26 he would be the guy but I do not see it at 23.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Absolutely should not be Joey. He's not of the sort of temperament required for leadership - never was. If it's got to be one of the major forwards, make it Forsberg or something.

You obviously didn't watch the Preds post trade then. There was not one player who was a bigger cheerleader and leader in general at least publicly after the trade.

Having said that, I would vote Josi. He has already been named to the leadership group as the alternate captain backup. Fisher is the sentimental vote, but he will only be here for 1 more year, maybe 1 more "last chance year" and I think the team would want a more long term pick.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You obviously didn't watch the Preds post trade then. There was not one player who was a bigger cheerleader and leader in general at least publicly after the trade.

I did, in fact, and he had a similar attitude up here prior to this year. Doesn't change my assessment. He's a cheerleader to be sure, but that's not the same as a leader.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
100% Mike Fisher. He just has the complete correct approach to the game and is a great role model for the young guys. After the way he elevated his game in the playoffs, I'm not even completely sure he's done after this year. After that, I think you consider Forsberg or any of the top 4 D (who I believe are all suitable).

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Forsberg....maybe Josi.

I would say Fisher, but I can't see them wanting to do this all over again next season if he's going to retire after one more season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad