Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
31 Thoughts Podcast

Elliotte Friedman said the biggest complaint with AV is telling players to turn the other cheek. Not just in NY. Vancouver too. He thinks AV could end up in Dallas.

Elliotte believes Kirk Muller could be an option.

Gorton said on Monday we have seen coaches in their second go around be successful. Mike Sullivan. Bruce Cassidy.

Friedman said someone told him David Quinn could be the guy after someone else said it won't be Quinn.

He keeps saying the Rangers are going the other way. The previous way was big name and long resume.

Jeff Marek keeps thinking are bringing in the big name coach and big free agents because it's the Rangers.

Where the **** has that gotten them over the years? Nowhere.

In regards to Marek and much of the media, they are still operating under the Sather paradigm, while it appears Gorton is creating a new one. It’s why they keep pushing that the Rangers will pursue Tavares.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Big name narrative hasn’t really died. Torts was a SC winning coach and AV had one of the best records in the league while in Vancouver. Going with someone who hasn’t coached in the NHL and hasn’t had star status in the league would be a pretty big step for the rangers.
Those were both good/smart moves at the time though rather than just throwing money at a problem, and each coach had success in bringing the Rangers closer to a SC. Who are these big name coaches Marek mentioned? The only one available would be Sutter, and he isn’t leaving the West Coast to coach our rebuilding team. Q is still with the Hawks, so if Marek is considering Tippett and Bylsma a big-game coach, then I’m saying he’s out to lunch because they’re both bad coaching options.

Reactions: jas

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Those were both good/smart moves at the time though rather than just throwing money at a problem, and each coach had success in bringing the Rangers closer to a SC. Who are these big name coaches Marek mentioned? The only one available would be Sutter, and he isn’t leaving the West Coast to coach our rebuilding team. Q is still with the Hawks, so if Marek is considering Tippett and Bylsma a big-game coach, then I’m saying he’s out to lunch because they’re both bad coaching options.
I would say Tippett and Bylsma are big name and will keep getting jobs based on what they’ve done in the past. I personally don’t want either anywhere near this team, but sticking with old boy established coaches would fit this organization’s historical MO.

Good news is that Gorton doesn’t seem like an old boys club kind of guy at all.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I would say Tippett and Bylsma are big name and will keep getting jobs based on what they’ve done in the past. I personally don’t want either anywhere near this team, but sticking with old boy established coaches would fit this organization’s historical MO.

Good news is that Gorton doesn’t seem like an old boys club kind of guy at all.
I guess that’s where we see it differently. I never was a fan of Tippett, even when the Yotes were decent. Bylsma has always been a shitty coach and had the easiest job in the world telling Sid and Geno to get on the ice. At least Sullivan coaches his bottom-6 well and gets a lot out of his defense.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Bylsma should be nowhere near this team. Yes he won a Cup because he relaxed Crosby and Malkin for six weeks and because MAF had one of his hot streaks.

Look at the 2014 Olympics and his stint in Buffalo. Nope.

I half joke but the truth is, Bylsma is all appearance. He wears glasses and looks like a good son in law who is smart but he's not actually a good coach.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers have not always gone for guys who had long NHL coaching experience. Bryan Trottier and Tom Renney certainly didn't. I'm not sure it's a big step to take a lesser known. The other thing is this team going into next year is more reminiscent to the team coming out of the lockout having gone through a veteran purge. The Rangers chose Renney to be the coach for that team. He'd has a short--like half season stint with the Canucks---been a long time WHL coach though.

I don't hate Bylsma but I'm not really interested in him. I don't think he'd be a great choice and I don't think he'd last more than a season or two. Tippett I don't want. Too many years of mediocrity--we might as well hire Ken Gernander if we want that. I'd lean probably towards one of the AHL guys--whether Keefe, Vincent, Leach, Groulx, Nelson, Donatelli, Eakins. They're used to working with young pros--I'd think they'd be the quickest off the mark.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I don't know if I want him as the HC but I'd take a really hard look at bringing in Peters as the defensive coach. That guy has a great track-record of developing 'modern' d-men in Carolina. He'd be good for guys like Skjei, Pionk, Gilmour, Day, etc...

For head coach, I'd probably get John Biebe or Gordon Bombay.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
gonna be an off the board name.

younger guy maybe juniors or ncaa perhaps. with vet asst coaches.

time to turn the page and develop a new culture here. this is a young team now. need a teacher with some passion and some one who can motivate this group so they stop sleepwalking through 1st periods.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The only thing with Leach is that he only has been a head coach for this season. However, it’s remarkable how well he’s coached those Providence kids to seamlessly step into NHL role. If he brings over Cassidy’s system, I’d be game

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
31 Thoughts Podcast

Elliotte Friedman said the biggest complaint with AV is telling players to turn the other cheek. Not just in NY. Vancouver too. He thinks AV could end up in Dallas.

Elliotte believes Kirk Muller could be an option.

Gorton said on Monday we have seen coaches in their second go around be successful. Mike Sullivan. Bruce Cassidy.

Friedman said someone told him David Quinn could be the guy after someone else said it won't be Quinn.

He keeps saying the Rangers are going the other way. The previous way was big name and long resume.

Jeff Marek keeps thinking are bringing in the big name coach and big free agents because it's the Rangers.

Where the **** has that gotten them over the years? Nowhere.
Lol I’m sure Jamie Benn will love having AV tell him to take punches in the face and then mope away.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
This is such a huge moment in this franchise’s history

Pretty much have to hit a home run with this hire

I really like Keefe but I trust Gorton with whoever he picks (unless he hires some retread like Byslma or Tippett but he won’t)

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s someone who hasn’t been named yet. I also wouldn’t be surprised if this process takes awhile, I’m sure to the dismay of all of us :laugh:

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't have a problem hiring a guy who hasn't coached in the NHL as long as he's been coaching somewhere. I can't stomach these water cooler wing nuts who want to hand Messier the job when he's never coached more than two weeks just because he "knows the game". Playing and coaching are two different skills. It's not a given that you're going to be good at one just because you were good at the other.

Reactions: Bozle

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
giphy.gif

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This is such a huge moment in this franchise’s history

Pretty much have to hit a home run with this hire

I really like Keefe but I trust Gorton with whoever he picks (unless he hires some retread like Byslma or Tippett but he won’t)

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s someone who hasn’t been named yet. I also wouldn’t be surprised if this process takes awhile, I’m sure to the dismay of all of us :laugh:

This coaching decision is not nearly as important as you’re making it out to be.

In fact, I’ll be surprised if this coach lasts as long as AV, Tortorella or Renney.

It’s an important step, but there are more important things going on. I’d rate our first pick this year as more important

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This coaching decision is not nearly as important as you’re making it out to be.

In fact, I’ll be surprised if this coach lasts as long as AV, Tortorella or Renney.

So you won't be surprised the new coach would last 3 years or less? To me that would signify a failed hiring.

Reactions: Bozle

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
I don't know if the two are at all connected, but Quebec Remparts and former NHL'er Phillipe Boucher conspicuously resigned from his Head Coach/GM post with the Quebec Remparts post the other day, any chance he stepped down in conjuction with this Rangers opening?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I don't know if the two are at all connected, but Quebec Remparts and former NHL'er Phillipe Boucher conspicuously resigned from his Head Coach/GM post with the Quebec Remparts post the other day, any chance he stepped down in conjuction with this Rangers opening?
Is there a chance? Sure, but I doubt it’s anything more than a coincidence at this time.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
You rarely see early rebuild coaches last very long. It’s not a failure, just the nature of the process
Thats because of the nature of rebuilds. You’re absolute trash for a few years. I don’t think that’s the model we are going for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad