Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I don't know if I want Ruff on the bench, also if you hire a coach, let him pick his staff.

Not saying don't let him pick his staff. Just saying that Gorton may want to gauge Ruffs interest in such a scenario.

There's a reason why Ruff wasn't expelled along with Arniel & Williams. There is interest in keeping him around in some capacity.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
So Boomer Gordon on NHL Network just prefaced the show wanting to know if they should set aside some phone calls for angry Ranger fans, as if there are Ranger fans angry about AV being fired.

I do not understand...
giphy.gif

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
So Boomer Gordon on NHL Network just prefaced the show wanting to know if they should set aside some phone calls for angry Ranger fans, as if there are Ranger fans angry about AV being fired.

I do not understand...
I do not understand, either...who in the SAM hell is Boomer Gordon?? Jeff Gorton’s evil, parallel dimension twin?

Reactions: TheTakedown

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Keefe’s winning style could give Marlies’ boss a ride to NHL | The Star

t’s a compliment Keefe doesn’t take lightly, but says he doesn’t dwell on. He considers hockey a continuous learning process, and that’s what makes winning complicated. Game plans and structures can change shift to shift.

That means thousands of hours of video, individualized player training programs (on and off the ice, in-season and off-season), studying analytics, communicating with hockey people and shedding just enough ego to allow different ideas into your routine, even if they don’t work

Marlies centre Jean Dupuy has had Keefe as a coach since junior in the Soo, and says he’s still the same: a solid communicator with a sense of humour and no-nonsense voice of authority.

“He doesn’t neglect older guys just because we’ve had our shot in our careers. He believes in development at any age,” Clune said of Keefe, “and that’s been a benefit for me … when I came (to the Leafs from Nashville), there was a shift going on in my game, and the way Sheldon approached it, it helped me re-adapt to hockey and the ways it was being played.”

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
In his 30 Thoughts column this week, along with the usual suspects, Friedman brought up the Manitoba Moose head coach Pascal Vincent as a guy who might get an interview

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If Gorton is interested he should certainly give Keefe an interview. Regarding Frost though I could understand why Gorton might not give Keefe the job. I was reading an article where Keefe was asked when was the last time he had any contact with Frost and he couldn't give a specific timeframe. The writer found that a bit troubling. Later on in the article the writer did say that when pressed more all the emotion went out of his voice and he did say that Frost did not go to his wedding, had never met his wife or kids and that if he did try to contact him it wouldn't be welcome. I got the impression that Keefe has buried this part of his life and does not like to dig it back up---which is kind of understandable.

Reading through various articles one gets the idea that the teenage Keefe may have been a sexual abuser or a sexual victim or maybe even both. Putting on the amateur pyschologist hat I could understand why he would be reticent to talk about that period of his life. Abusers/victims usually do not want to talk about past traumatic events. One of his coaches remarked of him as a pro that he was always by himself in a corner and did not seem to be having as much fun as he should playing the game---something that Keefe acknowledged as a 'fair assessment' of the game going sour for him and where he was at that period in his life.

I'm not against redemption and it's not my job to judge Keefe or anybody else for that matter but the Rangers are not a charity organization either. There is no obligation on our part to take on someone they're not comfortable with no matter whether they've turned a corner or not. He seems like a great candidate but he does have these past issues and if the Rangers were to hire him it should be with their eyes wide open. I would also point out that I don't think there's any chance that Frost will ever have any role with the Rangers organization. Even a sniff of it and Keefe's head will roll and I'm pretty sure that even left unsaid all parties are aware of that.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Right now I have a list of 24 names that I've culled from this thread and other places:

Current NHL coaches who might become available:
1. Barry Trotz
2. Bill Peters
3. John Tortorella (from the Brooks article)

Former NHL coaches:

4. Darryl Sutter
5. Dan Bylsma
6. Dave Tippett

Current AHL coaches:

7. Sheldon Keefe-Toronto
8. Jay Leach-Providence
9. Benoit Groulx-Syracuse
10. Todd Nelson-Grand Rapids
11. Dallas Eakins-San Diego
12. Clark Donatelli-Wilkes Barre
13. Pascal Vincent-Manitoba
14. Mike Van Ryn-Tuscon

Current NHL assistants:

15. D. J. Smith-Toronto
16. Dan Muse-Nashville
17. Kris Knoblauch-Philadelphia
18. Joe Sacco-Boston

College/University coaches:

19. Jim Montgomery-Denver U.
20. Rick Bennett-Union College
21. Tony Granato-Wisconsin U.
22. David Quinn-Boston U.
23. Nate Leaman-Providence College
24. Rand Pecknold-Quinnipiac U.

CHL:

25. Philippe Boucher-Quebec (QMJHL) per Nevesis #541

Feel free to add others.

26. Scott Stevens--former asst. co. (NJ-Minn)

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm not against redemption and it's not my job to judge Keefe or anybody else for that matter but the Rangers are not a charity organization either. There is no obligation on our part to take on someone they're not comfortable with no matter whether they've turned a corner or not. He seems like a great candidate but he does have these past issues and if the Rangers were to hire him it should be with their eyes wide open. I would also point out that I don't think there's any chance that Frost will ever have any role with the Rangers organization. Even a sniff of it and Keefe's head will roll and I'm pretty sure that even left unsaid all parties are aware of that.

For sure. Keefe sounds like the perfect candidate for this situation, EXCEPT for his baggage. It's definitely something the Rangers will have to carefully weigh and decide about if they think Keefe is a good fit hockey wise.

In general I'm not really worried about Frost in terms of somehow popping up and hanging around the Rangers org. He preys on young kids that he can dominate and manipulate and it's not like that'd fly with grown ass NHLers, but you certainly don't want the Rangers associated with him in the slightest and the big worry is more whether all the stuff in Keefe's past is dead and buried or lurking under the surface waiting for something to bring it out.

In general for this job I'd definitely be more interested in someone who isn't a NHL re-tread. AHL, college, assistant coach, would be more interested in seeing one of them for the job.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
For sure. Keefe sounds like the perfect candidate for this situation, EXCEPT for his baggage. It's definitely something the Rangers will have to carefully weigh and decide about if they think Keefe is a good fit hockey wise.

In general I'm not really worried about Frost in terms of somehow popping up and hanging around the Rangers org. He preys on young kids that he can dominate and manipulate and it's not like that'd fly with grown ass NHLers, but you certainly don't want the Rangers associated with him in the slightest and the big worry is more whether all the stuff in Keefe's past is dead and buried or lurking under the surface waiting for something to bring it out.

In general for this job I'd definitely be more interested in someone who isn't a NHL re-tread. AHL, college, assistant coach, would be more interested in seeing one of them for the job.
Yeah I read an article done pretty recently where he suggests that Jefferson's story of abuse wasn't really as bad as he presented it, while also admitting that he (Keefe) had the pictures of him tied up and all that. I don't love that aspect of still kind of blaming the victim. He did something stupid, they called it an "initiation" or something but if the kid wasn't okay with it it's definitely assault and maybe a few other things too. We've all done a ton of stupid stuff as kids but that's really a lot Imo and still at this point sort of arguing that it's not what it seems like is a little troubling.

But yeah, I don't worry about Frost popping up or anything, he's a coward and NYR are way, way out of his league in terms of easy people and/or organizations to manipulate. And Keefe genuinely does seem to have moved on and turned over a new leaf - I've seen it happen with people close to me, it's 100% possible.

Ultimately, I'd trust Gorton's evaluation of whether all of this is still a relevant problem or not.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
31 Thoughts Podcast

Elliotte Friedman said the biggest complaint with AV is telling players to turn the other cheek. Not just in NY. Vancouver too. He thinks AV could end up in Dallas.

Elliotte believes Kirk Muller could be an option.

Gorton said on Monday we have seen coaches in their second go around be successful. Mike Sullivan. Bruce Cassidy.

Friedman said someone told him David Quinn could be the guy after someone else said it won't be Quinn.

He keeps saying the Rangers are going the other way. The previous way was big name and long resume.

Jeff Marek keeps thinking are bringing in the big name coach and big free agents because it's the Rangers.

Where the f*** has that gotten them over the years? Nowhere.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Keefe’s winning style could give Marlies’ boss a ride to NHL | The Star

t’s a compliment Keefe doesn’t take lightly, but says he doesn’t dwell on. He considers hockey a continuous learning process, and that’s what makes winning complicated. Game plans and structures can change shift to shift.

That means thousands of hours of video, individualized player training programs (on and off the ice, in-season and off-season), studying analytics, communicating with hockey people and shedding just enough ego to allow different ideas into your routine, even if they don’t work

Marlies centre Jean Dupuy has had Keefe as a coach since junior in the Soo, and says he’s still the same: a solid communicator with a sense of humour and no-nonsense voice of authority.

“He doesn’t neglect older guys just because we’ve had our shot in our careers. He believes in development at any age,” Clune said of Keefe, “and that’s been a benefit for me … when I came (to the Leafs from Nashville), there was a shift going on in my game, and the way Sheldon approached it, it helped me re-adapt to hockey and the ways it was being played.”
Ugh I want him so badly.

Reactions: GregSirico

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
31 Thoughts Podcast

Elliotte Friedman said the biggest complaint with AV is telling players to turn the other cheek. Not just in NY. Vancouver too. He thinks AV could end up in Dallas.

Elliotte believes Kirk Muller could be an option.

Gorton said on Monday we have seen coaches in their second go around be successful. Mike Sullivan. Bruce Cassidy.

Friedman said someone told him David Quinn could be the guy after someone else said it won't be Quinn.

He keeps saying the Rangers are going the other way. The previous way was big name and long resume.

Jeff Marek keeps thinking are bringing in the big name coach and big free agents because it's the Rangers.

Where the **** has that gotten them over the years? Nowhere.

This narrative has been dead for years, but morons keep spewing it and act like this is still the same management style from the Dark Ages. Mueller is intriguing, and he was stuck with a really awful team in Carolina. Don't know enough about him to see his as a good coach for a rebuild, and I'd probably want to stay away from David Quinn for the same reasons.

Reactions: haveandare

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
This narrative has been dead for years, but morons keep spewing it and act like this is still the same management style from the Dark Ages. Mueller is intriguing, and he was stuck with a really awful team in Carolina. Don't know enough about him to see his as a good coach for a rebuild, and I'd probably want to stay away from David Quinn for the same reasons.
Big name narrative hasn’t really died. Torts was a SC winning coach and AV had one of the best records in the league while in Vancouver. Going with someone who hasn’t coached in the NHL and hasn’t had star status in the league would be a pretty big step for the rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad