Next Canucks star?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another 28th place finish, plus a break in the lottery balls...then we'll finally have the next star for the Vancouver Canucks.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Horvat is the closest we have right now. Not going to nominate one of the prospects until they get into the NHL. We've seen hundreds and hundreds of prospects rip it up in college and juniors only to be absolute busts in the big league. As far as true superstar, not sure we've drafted him yet.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Who do you consider the next star player for our squad? Obviously this team will need a new high end player to lead them as the Sedins years are catching up on them...so in the coming years who do u see emerging in that role? A prospect like Virtanen? A long shot like cassels? Rodin? Maybe a future free agent you see the Canucks picking up?

Depends on what you mean by 'star'.

I think Boeser will be our next 1st line player, but I see him a 'complementary' 1st line player a la Kyle Okposo/Milan Hedjuk as opposed to being an actual superstar.

Horvat will be a Ryan Kesler/Mike Richards pre 2013 calibre guy, but were those guys really "stars?" To me, a 'star' is someone like Henrik Sedin, Joe Thornton, Anze Kopitar, Patrice Bergeron, etc., while guys like Drew Doughty, Erik Karlsson, PK Subbann, Duncan Keith, etc. are 'stars' on defense.

I think our next two 'stars' are Thatcher Demko and Olli Juolevi. Demko = Corey Schneider, Juolevi = Hampus Lindholm.

For our next core however, Canucks still need to find a true # center.

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
Only player I would bet a little money on right now would be Horvat. He's shown some elite characteristics and skill that combined with consistency will push him into "Star" status. It's too soon to say for the other young players on the team but I wouldn't be surprised if one of them break out. Heck I think even Baertschi has the potential to be a really good player.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I'm surprised at the amount of people that have given up on JV being a really good/star player.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
The only guy currently in the system with "franchise" level upside is Demko, IMO. Which is not to guarantee he hits that, just that the potential is there.

In terms of guys easier/safer to project, I think Horvat has gotten a bit undersold after his slow start to last season. 40 points for a 20 year old on last season's tire fire is nothing to sneeze at, especially considering he was centering a project and a corpse for much of that time. I could easily see him progressing to a Linden style "heart of the team" player who is a core contributor in all areas of the game and puts up very respectable offense. Certainly a marketable/high value/high profile player in his prime. Just unlikely to become a "superstar".

I'm surprised at the amount of people that have given up on JV being a really good/star player.

I think more of JV then most people posting here, and think his ceiling is positively tantalizing, and even I don't think he'll be a "star player" in the way we generally consider these things. I think he'll be a high impact player with a rare tool set, but I doubt he ever puts up "star" offensive production.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
love that Canucks prospect consists of this:

F - Brock Boeser
D - Olli Juolevi
G - Thatcher Demko

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
The only guy currently in the system with "franchise" level upside is Demko, IMO. Which is not to guarantee he hits that, just that the potential is there.

In terms of guys easier/safer to project, I think Horvat has gotten a bit undersold after his slow start to last season. 40 points for a 20 year old on last season's tire fire is nothing to sneeze at, especially considering he was centering a project and a corpse for much of that time. I could easily see him progressing to a Linden style "heart of the team" player who is a core contributor in all areas of the game and puts up very respectable offense. Certainly a marketable/high value/high profile player in his prime. Just unlikely to become a "superstar".

I think more of JV then most people posting here, and think his ceiling is positively tantalizing, and even I don't think he'll be a "star player" in the way we generally consider these things. I think he'll be a high impact player with a rare tool set, but I doubt he ever puts up "star" offensive production.

I guess, did you see Bertuzzi as a star player in his prime?

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
I guess, did you see Bertuzzi as a star player in his prime?

Yep. JV does not have Todd's upside. Todd was a huge guy who used his body to shield the puck, and had silky-smooth scorers hands and good offensive instincts. JV is a north south speedster. I think the comparisons to a pre-concussion David Booth are pretty appropriate in his case. Booth had such an ignominious post-injury decline I think it's easy to forget what a great player he was.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Yep. JV does not have Todd's upside. Todd was a huge guy who used his body to shield the puck, and had silky-smooth scorers hands and good offensive instincts. JV is a north south speedster. I think the comparisons to a pre-concussion David Booth are pretty appropriate in his case. Booth had such an ignominious post-injury decline I think it's easy to forget what a great player he was.

That Richards hit destroyed his career.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

That Richards hit destroyed his career.

As a "star player" sure. But people forget that he WAS at a 2nd liner pace (in terms of production) before the cheapshot knee-on-knee hit (forgot which Avs? player did it).

Olli Juolevi

Jun 25, 2016
Hamburg, Germany
Based on Benning's drafting/trading so far we are shaping into a "Boston" mold defensive oriented team. That doesn't mean its good it just looks like what I think he wanted the team to look like.

Boston teams of the past didn't have an art Ross trophy but they won tight games through team defense and 4 line scoring/depth. Arguably their "star" player was probably one or two of Chara/ Kreji/ Bergeron/ Lucic, players essential to that core.

We sort of have the makings of that team but very very prematurally and its hard to tell based on only 2 seasons

No body thinks Juolevi will be Chara obviously but he has potential to be a #1 but less physically oriented and more transition/ tight defensively.

Boeser can be a solid top 6er but not an art Ross trophy winger or "Rocket" like. I just see him as a solid goal scoring threat night in and night out.

Demko will probably be the "core" of the new team if and when that core makes the playoffs. He will probably be an all star level player.

Horvat if hits his projections will be a nice cornerstone for this team if he becomes something resembling Bergeron.

J.V. I don't know he looks like he's great some nights but I want to see him become a solid contributor before I can say he will be a great player/core.

We are obviously still missing a #1C but if we draft a Horvat clone that would be a nice #2C/#2C combo ala Kreji/ Bergeron. Was wishing McCann stayed.

I have 0 faith in Benning's players that he traded for younger than 25 (Bae is still a question mark consistency wise (which Bae is going to show up next year??), Granlund NOPE, Etem nope, Vey gone. Sbisa NOPE, RealGud nope)

Seeing as our prospect depth was GUTTED I really hope we have a solid draft next year but we will see what JB does.

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
We don't have any slam-dunk future stars, although obviously any of Horvat, Boeser, Demko, Virtanen or Juolevi might surprise. Development is to some extent unpredictable — when Markus Naslund was playing here at 24, no one thought he'd be a top-5 scorer one day.

One thing this exercise highlights, though, is the sheer dearth of skill in our prospect pool right now. Apart from the big names above, only Jordan Subban comes to mind as a guy who could *maybe* play at a top-line level one day if everything aligned just right. And even that's a longshot. Most of our other prospects have utility-player upside at best. Our center depth is a terrifying wasteland.

Just another reason why we should try swing for the fences with more of our later draft picks — say, taking small skill players who have an outside shot of a huge payoff. Gaudreau or Palat being the obvious analogues. Forsling was a good pick along those lines but he's gone now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad