Next BIG Thing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
CJHF13 said:
Did Ovechkin outperform Crosby? Did Malkin outperform Crosby? Or, do you really think that it was the other way around?

I don't know what you're trying to coax out of me, but if what you're looking for a 'yes master you were right along master I should have listened to you master', well then no I can't give that, I would, I really would, but I can't because you're forcing me into saying something I never argued in the first place.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
CJHF13 said:
WRONG!

This site is stupid now because if you have an opinion(read: your own) or aren't completely brainwashed from 5 years of the Canadian media telling you that "Crosby is the next great one" then, you get slammed.

Point blank, no one knows, this is all speculation. But, I can sure as hell tell that Ovechkin and Malkin were better than Crosby in the WJC's this year. If you do know how these kids are going to turn out, let me barrow your crystal ball, the "Powerball" here is at like 50 million, I want some cash.

I actually pitty some of you Canadians(not all). Many of you have the Crosby blinds closed so tight, you can't see out of the window.

Whenever someone praises AO on here I have no problem with it.. He's a supreme talent.

Same with Crosby.. how can you deny the performance he's put up in Junior at such a young age. He may have alot of hype, so you may want to hate him. However, you cannot deny his talent.

You are contributing nothing (thats my opinion) you are just looking for anyway to say he;s not gonna be a star which is wrong. This site should be about talking about what we like about players not saying that a 17 year old kid is NOT gonna be as good as everyone thinks...

I dont care if the player is American, Canadian, German, British or whatever if their a good hockey player I respect them and will talk about them with respect. Not try to bring them down..

PS: Head to head WJHC final game how many points did Crosby have and how many did AO and Malkin have..... ???

Crosby was playing the wing and still had 9 points, which is pretty damn good..

to me their all great players... Crosby just has an indcredible all around game.. wins the battles and can dangle ... I think Malkin has the potential to get the points Crosby does but his all around game lacks that... AO and Sid will hopefully dominate the NHL for years to come..

but for you and your anti canadian sentiments I just hope I don't see any of your posts again...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
ktownhockey said:
... I think Malkin has the potential to get the points Crosby does but his all around game lacks that...

I could not disagree more, on both points. Malkin was very solid on D and almost always was the first forward back for Russia. But his game is playmaking with a scoring touch as well, but he is known most for his vision and passing. Crosby and AO are finishers. I doubt that Malkin will ever put up quite the numbers that AO or Crosby put up but he will bring intangables that could make him as valuable if not more so. Playmaking centers are as tough as hen's teeth to find and everyone would love having a great one. We all will have to wait to see this potential thing play out for all three though.

Tume

Dec 23, 2003
Finland
Leachmeister2000 said:
Skillset like Jagr? No, Crosby's superior in that respect.

:lol:

Are you serious? Crosby is a great prospect but doesn't have the skillset of Jagr.

And even though stats aren't everything I have to post these here:

Crosby as 17 years old in WJC: 6GP 6g + 3A = 9P

Jagr as 17 years old in WJC: 7GP 5G + 13A = 18P

CJHF13

[/I]
how can you deny the performance he's put up in Junior at such a young age. He may have alot of hype, so you may want to hate him. However, you cannot deny his talent.

I've never seen him play in Junior, I'm a middle eastern American. I can't watch the Q, unfortunatly so, unlike many around here, I can't comment on it. His numbers are outstanding but, I've never seen him hit Quebec ice. And I never said I wanted to hate Crosby or that he isn't a great talent. I'm simply saying(like I said throughout this thread until you Canadians BLEW it up into something that it wasn't/isn't) that Malkin and Ovechkin had a better tournament than Crosby. Am I wrong?

you are just looking for anyway to say he;s not gonna be a star which is wrong. This site should be about talking about what we like about players not saying that a 17 year old kid is NOT gonna be as good as everyone thinks...

No, I'm not. And, you can't say that he's going to be a star for sure! This is the future of a 17 year old kid that's playing in Juniors right now! I hope that, for the NHL's sake, he turns out to be like Gretzky and Lemieux COMBINED, no matter what team he plays on but, you can't even say that his skill in the NHL is going to rival that of...Gaborik(current skill) right now.

And why does this site only have to be about talking about what we "like" about them? There are negatives to every single player in the WORLD and if you don't believe that, you're a damn fool.

I dont care if the player is American, Canadian, German, British or whatever if their a good hockey player I respect them and will talk about them with respect. Not try to bring them down..

Show me ANYWHERE that I brought ANY player down. Please.

I never have and never will. Just as you can't say that Crosby will definatly score 150 points in a season at some point in his NHL career, I can't say that he'll end up being a third line grinder, either. So, unlike you, I won't.

but for you and your anti canadian sentiments I just hope I don't see any of your posts again...

First off, I'm definatly not anti-Canadian...You definatly have a complex of some kind. In fact, Mario Lemieux is my favorite hockey player of all time. Maybe that has something to do with me living so close to Pittsburgh but, nonetheless, he was Canadian the last time I checked.

Second off, if you don't like my posts, you don't have to respond(or read them at all, for that matter). What this site is really about is showing your opinions towards the future players of the NHL(and hockey in general). If you don't like that, leave. I'm not going to quit posting just because you don't agree with me.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Norh American players may never have the skillset of a jagr. european players are better individuals.

Euopeans have smaller penises. North Americans make better lovers.

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
I could not disagree more, on both points. Malkin was very solid on D and almost always was the first forward back for Russia. But his game is playmaking with a scoring touch as well, but he is known most for his vision and passing. Crosby and AO are finishers. I doubt that Malkin will ever put up quite the numbers that AO or Crosby put up but he will bring intangables that could make him as valuable if not more so. Playmaking centers are as tough as hen's teeth to find and everyone would love having a great one. We all will have to wait to see this potential thing play out for all three though.
you obviously don't know much about crosby and are judging your opinion of him from this tourney. He gets way more assists then he does points. He is more of like what you are saying that malkin is except with more edge to his game. He was not playing his regular position of center in this tourney, so we missed out on seeing probably his best asset to the game. That is when he picks up the puck from the winger in his end and blows by everyone in the neutral zone and makes an amazing pass or goal. On team canada everyone was given a role and his was to play the wing ,work down low and along the boards and finish. However this is not his usual role.. I was really dissapointed that he didn't play center because everyone watching missed out on his exciting rushes through the neutral zone and him taking defenders one on one.

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003
Crosby played very well in the tourney, and He may have even played better if he was at his natural position (center) (he would have been more comfortable but then again he wouldnt have been on Bergeron's Line) BUT Im afraid the hype machine has seriously malfunctioned has hailed the saviour of the game, much too early, Crosby will not be the player to carry the torch of THE BEST PLAYER IN THE GAME. In todays NHL he doesnt have anything that the current NHL superstars dont have.

Can anyone tell me what he has that is considerably better then Ovechkin or Malkin for that matter? And please the "he's only 17" as compared to the others doesnt cut it, hes only a couple of months younger then Malkin! Not to mention when hes 28 in the NHL are people still going to use the excuse that Ovechkin is 29 and that is why he is outperforming him.

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003
Great comment from Jason Botterill - past canadian Jr who was hailed as a cant miss power forward NHL Hockey player, he has since played only 88 games, hes toiling for the Rochester Americans.

"You just listen to the commentators and everyone has an NHL release right now and everyone has NHL speed," Botterill said. "You look at Ryan Suter, who has been a great player for Team USA, but at the AHL level right now he's a good defenceman, but it's not like he's dominant or anything. The players have to realize they're getting so much exposure and so many people are telling you how good you are, you have to make sure you have that work ethic. To expect that every one of these players is going to go on and have great success at the NHL level is, I think, kind of far-fetched."

faucette78

Jan 6, 2005
Bonefizzle is correct about everything that he said.

To add, I have to admit that I have seen more of Crosby then both Malkin and Ovechkin. To me Crosby is a combination of the two. He is a better playmaker then Ovechkin, but is similar to Malkin (although I think a little better because of superior vision). But he is a better finisher then Malkin, but right now not as good as Ovechkin because he 2 year younger.

I watched every game Canada played at WJC (even the two exhibition games) and Crosby was setting up and finishing chances in everyone (except one). And even in that game, probably the worst game I have ever seen him play, he had chances and set up Corry Perry a few times. There are very few games including junior that Crosby does not register a point. Last year, in junior, as a 16 your old he only had 4 games that he did not register a point.

The one thing about Crosby that separates him from the other two is being a complete plater and his skating. I have never seen anyone skate like he can. In practice and when he has free rain to do so in games, he is absolutley amamzing beating guys one on one - because of his skating. The TV comentators and coaches for team Canada said that they have never seen some of the things he was doing in practice before. He was even beating Phaneuf, who was by far the best defencemen in the tourney.

Lastly, who am I to argue with the great one. If he thinks so highly of him, then I tend to side with him.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Vanman said:
Crosby played very well in the tourney, and He may have even played better if he was at his natural position (center) (he would have been more comfortable but then again he wouldnt have been on Bergeron's Line) BUT Im afraid the hype machine has seriously malfunctioned has hailed the saviour of the game, much too early, Crosby will not be the player to carry the torch of THE BEST PLAYER IN THE GAME. In todays NHL he doesnt have anything that the current NHL superstars dont have.

Can anyone tell me what he has that is considerably better then Ovechkin or Malkin for that matter? And please the "he's only 17" as compared to the others doesnt cut it, hes only a couple of months younger then Malkin! Not to mention when hes 28 in the NHL are people still going to use the excuse that Ovechkin is 29 and that is why he is outperforming him.

Add a year to your "couple of months!" and you're close!

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Tume said:
:lol:

Are you serious? Crosby is a great prospect but doesn't have the skillset of Jagr.

And even though stats aren't everything I have to post these here:

Crosby as 17 years old in WJC: 6GP 6g + 3A = 9P

Jagr as 17 years old in WJC: 7GP 5G + 13A = 18P

Alright now since you're going to play that silly stats game with me, here goes:

Lemieux 17 years old: 7GP 5G 5A 10PTS

Now can you honestly say that Jagr was better than Lemieux?

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
Leachmeister2000 said:
Alright now since you're going to play that silly stats game with me, here goes:

Lemieux 17 years old: 7GP 5G 5A 10PTS

Now can you honestly say that Jagr was better than Lemieux?

fact is crosby will have a great career but he isn´t in the same class of a lemieux and jagr

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
AgentNaslund said:
Kessel is like Ilya Kovalchuk, minus the monster size...... Kovalchuk is 6'2 235 and is pounds and growing. I dont think Kessel will grow that big and strong, but be that type of player, but just a little smaller.

Smaller version of Kovalchuk, minus, the cockiness, minues the toughness, no knock on that, minus the monster strenght.

I take him over Ovechkin or Malkin.

Sorry but it´s absolutely ridiculous to compare kessel to kovalchuk. kessel is nothing to kovy. even ovechkin hasn´t the skillset of kovalchuk.

with all this minus points, what remains?? :lol

AgentNaslund*

THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
fact is crosby will have a great career but he isn´t in the same class of a lemieux and jagr

Hes gonna the best for his era. Wether you like it, or not.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
AgentNaslund said:
Hes gonna the best for his era. Wether you like it, or not.

I love the guy's potential, the scouts certainly have been drooling over him for some time. I think that if there is a lost season (or even with a season, the Pens are that raw and young that they would be up there in the race for last anyways) the Pens have a decent shot at landing the guy and that also thrills me to no end. But your 'certain best of his era' statement is breathtaking in its almost childish naivety. I do have to admit that the 'Wether you like it, or not', ending, typos and all, was a brilliant verbal sticking out your tongue flourish at the end though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad