News Article: News & Notes XXXVI: Leadup to the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I could definitely see shiny object syndrome taking hold for a year or two for players and personnel who enjoy the spotlight. And, the ones seeking a fresh start with a very clean slate - type of environment.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I could definitely see shiny object syndrome taking hold for a year or two for players and personnel who enjoy the spotlight. And, the ones seeking a fresh start with a very clean slate.
There’s also the success Vegas had right off, and that many see Francis as the main architect of the current Canes. That may be a factor in attracting some Ufas.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
As a related reminder: If Seattle signs a UFA during their exclusive negotiation period, that counts as their expansion draft selection from that team. If they manage to sign Hamilton, they don't get to pick anybody else from our roster.
But if they handshake agree to sign him after Free Agency starts, they can poach us to the cleaners! Poach!

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Are you sure? I remember hearing from Blues fans that Armstrong refused to give Pietrangelo a full NMC- which Vegas did give him, and that was the reason Pietro moved on.

I could be wrong, but Faulk and his $6.5M certainly didn’t help in keeping Pietrangelo around. I also want to say the structure of contract was a problem in that the player wanted bonuses and the GM said piss on that.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
You guys are way too fearful of Seattle. Unless they see themselves as cup contenders right away (even Vegas at the time didn't foresee that), do you really think that they're going to give a big enough contract to successfully pry both Skjei and Dougie from Carolina? My personal guess is that Francis will get Skjei. That's one defenseman. He's been good this year, but with Bean performing reasonably well as far as rookies go, I'm not terribly concerned that the depth can't cushion the blow. I think Dougie and Hakanpaa are both likely to re-sign.
If we make it to the expansion draft without Dougie signing he’d be dumb to sign with us before ufa. If he makes it to ufa it’s certainly possible he’s gone. That would be two. Off the top four. There’s no fear in seeing that, just common sense. We’ve been a decent team for two and half seasons, and we seem to be very good currently - for the first time since 2006. I’ve never believed in our current depth as much as you do. If it is indeed as simple as letting Skjei go than so be it, it’s just hardly a gimme it’ll be that way.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If we make it to the expansion draft without Dougie signing he’d be dumb to sign with us before ufa. If he makes it to ufa it’s certainly possible he’s gone. That would be two. Off the top four. There’s no fear in seeing that, just common sense. We’ve been a decent team for two and half seasons, and we seem to be very good currently - for the first time since 2006. I’ve never believed in our current depth as much as you do. If it is indeed as simple as letting Skjei go than so be it, it’s just hardly a gimme it’ll be that way.

This is my thinking too. Why wouldn’t Hamilton wait to see what he could get on the open market before committing to an aav that is almost certainly lower in CAR?

As unpopular as it is, this is also why I’d protect Slavin, Pesce and Skjei to ensure you’re only losing 1 top 4 guy, not 2. (Skjei to Seattle and Hamilton to ufa)

Reactions: bleedgreen

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The folks talking about Francis poaching both Skjei and Dougie are the ones overly fearful about Seattle. Again, I think that Francis is likely to pick Skjei outright. That'll be the one loss from them.

One thing I keep reading is that centers will be in short supply for Seattle based on who is likely to be protected.

That could make Geekie more of an option. I think Skjei is probably one of the best D Seattle could pick league wide, but is the center pool so shallow that Geekie has to be one of the picks?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
This is my thinking too. Why wouldn’t Hamilton wait to see what he could get on the open market before committing to an aav that is almost certainly lower in CAR?

As unpopular as it is, this is also why I’d protect Slavin, Pesce and Skjei to ensure you’re only losing 1 top 4 guy, not 2. (Skjei to Seattle and Hamilton to ufa)
Makes some sense.

I could see us pushing to sign Dougie before this all goes down and protecting him with Slavin and Pesce. Just lose of the the remaining guys or pay them to take someone in particular. Safest way to make sure we stay where we are. I originally wanted to protect four d, but that would’ve left Tro available and we can’t lose him right now.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Seattle just needs a half decent squad and they can make the playoffs. The west division is a joke. Its Vegas some space then the Oilers then.......

Reactions: DaveG

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
I have full faith in the FO to make something happen if we lose 2 top four defenders this offseason. We have plenty of prospects and draft picks that we can trade as well as free agency.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad