News From Around the League Part XLVIII - FREE AGENT NOT-MUCH-FRENZY Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
hes a free agent in 9 months. the Islanders are not close to being a contending team.

NYI biggest weakness was their defense. They just added two quality players for non roster guys.

Vinovsky - Boychuk, Leddy - Hamonic is a quality top 6.

They have a solid C core with Tavares, Grabovski, and Nielsen. I think the moves they made put them in the same boat as us in expected PTS.

Boychuk has another great year, but doesn't want to sign I am sure the NYI can get equal value for him from a playoff team in need of a top 6 defenseman.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the Leddy trade is fine and I'd even go as far to say as a good move.

but I still don't like the Boychuk move, sorry

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'd be happy if I were an Isles fan right now. Their team is better and while you could argue about Boychuk, it's not like either trade was very lopsided. They dealt from an area of strength to address a weakness. And they addressed it very well. Good on them.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
and once again the Isles will be the 'next big thing' and do absolutely nothing

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
and once again the Isles will be the 'next big thing' and do absolutely nothing

As someone who isn't a believer in them, I think they'll be better this year. They possibly could take a few steps forward. I do not believe they're a playoff team yet. 5th in the division maybe.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Not sure, this Isles team has a lot more depth than in years past, they could actually be fairly decent. They've actually got some legitimate depth up front now, plus some talented youngsters in Strome/Nelson who could produce reasonably well.

Their weak spot was defence but now with Boychuk and Leddy, they've actually got some decent depth and competition.

Hamonic, Leddy, Boychuk, Visnovsky, Reinhart, de Haan, Hickey and Strait is actually a solid group.

Not to mention Halak and Johnson should be an upgrade in goal for them.

Pains me to say it, but they've got a really balanced team with no glaring weaknesses anymore. Not a contender, but i'd be shocked if they weren't competing for a playoff spot.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
They fleeced the Hawks.
A padmonster sloth, a pint sized journeyman AHLer and a slow developing Finn for a good young defenseman.

Boychuk would be a perfect fit for us actually.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
They fleeced the Hawks.
A padmonster sloth, a pint sized journeyman AHLer and a slow developing Finn for a good young defenseman.

Boychuk would be a perfect fit for us actually.

Chicago had no leverage with them being over the cap so everyone knew they wouldn't get face value for leddy.

What the islanders gave up for boychuk I would pass on him

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
all boston had to do was LTIR Savard and they would have been under the cap with boychuk on the team?

you can't LTIR someone until the season starts. so they have to be compliant before then.

Are you thinking of the right Boychuk?

yes. hes not that good. probably a #4/5

if Boston had offered two 2nds + for Fayne last offseason I would've done it in a heartbeat. and Fayne is a better player.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
you can't LTIR someone until the season starts. so they have to be compliant before then.
Are you sure? I don't really know the exact LTIR rules. Philly is like 5 mil over and I don't really see them shedding 5 million in 3 days to be cap compliant so they can ltir pronger

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011

yes. hes not that good. probably a #4/5

if Boston had offered two 2nds + for Fayne last offseason I would've done it in a heartbeat. and Fayne is a better player.

Yikes. Boychuk >> Fayne.

Boychuk was only behind Chara in 5 on 5 time and 4 on 5 time for BOS.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
you really love to argue EVERYTHING, don't you?

give me Fayne over Boychuk any day of the week. plus he is like 4 years younger.

Not really - your view just doesn't hold water. Boychuk is very underrated if you think he isn't worth a 2 - 2nd round picks (1 this and 1 next year) and a conditional 3rd. He is going to play 22+ minutes.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
It's amazing what happens when you get rid of a horrible owner. Isles are solid back on defense now. No more excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad