News From Around the League Part XLVIII - FREE AGENT NOT-MUCH-FRENZY Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
i go to watch hockey......a minute and a half of tarts with shovels? who ****in cares.....i treat the TV breaks in play like i do at home..... i dont even notice.

The point is the team itself treated them like **** and paid them like **** and got called out on it. They were paying them $50 a week apparently. The thought is since some cheerleaders are sueing NFL teams the Flyers just wanted to make any potential problem go away.

Fans cried and now they are back and we will see if they addressed the issues the workers had.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
The point is the team itself treated them like **** and paid them like **** and got called out on it. They were paying them $50 a week apparently. The thought is since some cheerleaders are sueing NFL teams the Flyers just wanted to make any potential problem go away.

Fans cried and now they are back and we will see if they addressed the issues the workers had.

50 bucks a week for what? 3-4 games is a weak deal ill agree.....im all for being paid a just wage for one's time......if that is all they get for the rehearsal time included, its a rip off and people should definetly stand up and command the respect

my cousin's daughter just got on the raptors dance pack last year.....i have no clue what it "pays" but ive heard she loves dancing and doing what she's doing

im not trying to start big debates over such things as cheerleaders by any means...... i guess in the end maybe other people want that kind of off action entertainment when the puck stops.

im just oblivious to it when im there.....partially due to my drunkness. ;)

.....but ya... 50 bucks a week ....bulls

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
50 bucks a week for what? 3-4 games is a weak deal ill agree.....im all for being paid a just wage for one's time......if that is all they get for the rehearsal time included, its a rip off and people should definetly stand up and command the respect

my cousin's daughter just got on the raptors dance pack last year.....i have no clue what it "pays" but ive heard she loves dancing and doing what she's doing

im not trying to start big debates over such things as cheerleaders by any means...... i guess in the end maybe other people want that kind of off action entertainment when the puck stops.

im just oblivious to it when im there.....partially due to my drunkness. ;)

.....but ya... 50 bucks a week ....bulls

Two things. You cant say squat if you dont know the original contract. Could be that they get paid $50 minimum per week and say every game is $50 extra on top of it.

Other thing is that maybe there are so many girls out there wanting to get into such dancing group, there is no need to pay legit wages. i mean if the gurls consider it as a hobby or need the opportunity to show their skills to make it further, they benefit already as it is.

Then again, if they do it to make ends meet, well, it's a problem. :)

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Uh, I thought that the ice girls did it for free...

It isn't exactly a 9-5 job in a coal mine.

Free game to watch?

Wtf, are they going to start a union now?

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Most cheer squads do it for the opportunity to get in front of people and get noticed/promoted. It's a stepping stone, not a career. I think of it more like a dancing internship. They do team activities, photo ops, have profiles online and get noticed. So it's some eye candy for the team, and a career op for the girls who want to get noticed. Win/Win in my book. They know that going in too so it's hard for me to feel sorry for someone taking that path when it's well known it's hard work, long hours and a joke of pay. There was actually a reality TV series on that followed the girls through tryouts, training and practice and the games for a while - it was grueling stuff.

Now we're talking about the snow crew who doesn't even cheer right? They just clean up the snow which used to be done by the (sometimes union) rink workers. I've seen both men squads, and female squads and honestly I don't see a career op there. Sure you get looked at but there's not exactly the same status as a cheer squad which may already exist separately depending on the team - say Carolina? (Columbus has a female ice crew AND a group of cheerleaders that are sponsored by Pepsi if memory serves) That's more of a job so I think they should be paid - just not that much because it's 3 hours maybe 3 times a week max? A min of $50 seems fine if there's only 1 home game that week. No different than being an on-call server for Hooters that has to be scantly clad and may get cut after working 4 hours a few times a week. That's a part time gig and not a full time job so even if they get paid triple it's not enough to make a living.

Last edited:

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Most cheer squads do it for the opportunity to get in front of people and get noticed/promoted. It's a stepping stone, not a career. I think of it more like a dancing internship...

Wow. Lots of fail re: cheer squads / ice girls in this thread. There are laws on the books to protect employees. Interns too. If you disagree with the law, that's fine (though, I hope you never end up in a position to be exploited). But, the laws exist, so it's the responsibility of the employer to follow them.

I'd feel ashamed as a fan if my team was knowingly flouting labor laws just because the "market" lets them. Definitely not the kind of thing a "first class" organization should do. I'm not saying that the Flyers management (or other teams) knew there was a problem before, but they clearly know about it now. I'd hope they treat the situation with the same respect they'd afford the rest of their employees (e.g., players).

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I was just looking at Philly's capgeek page.
They're not even shedding any salary this summer and Akeson will likely get a nice raise. I don't think he'd even be able to get that kind of dough out of Philly if he tried to get there through UFA.

It would have been hilarious to watch what kind of financial gymnastic routine that front office would have performed to open up cap space, though.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ottawa is still my dark horse favorite for McDavid/Eichel. Really didn't see him there long term.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
The Blackhawks have been hinting at trading a defensemen to clear cap space, and they just called up an AHL dman this afternoon.

The Coyotes just sent Maxi Domi back to juniors, when they're sorely lacking in top 6/9 forwards.

Not that anything will happen today, but there could be some trades opening up soon.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Don't ask me how I know this, but trust me. He doesn't have fond memories of life in Jersey and around the Flyers. He was NEVER going to come back "Home".

Well I remember hearing something about family issues when he was living in the Cherry Hill area, but I also thought he was heavily rumored to have put the Flyers high on a list of teams he'd like to go to.. Could be wrong, this is just what I recall

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The Blackhawks have been hinting at trading a defensemen to clear cap space, and they just called up an AHL dman this afternoon.

The Coyotes just sent Maxi Domi back to juniors, when they're sorely lacking in top 6/9 forwards.

Not that anything will happen today, but there could be some trades opening up soon.

Everybody is assuming Nick Leddy is the odd man out at this point. Brad Richards took over Leddy's point spot on their 2nd PP unit. They might not get as much for Leddy since his actual salary this year is 3.4 million and he'll be an RFA. So any team who wants to keep him has to qualify him for 3.4; Long term deal then probably starts approaching 4-5 million after that.

Coyotes will be interesting to watch. Seems like they could use a forward but I'd be curious how much budget space they have. It appears that they're using Sam Gagner as a RW for the time being. That might limit their interest in somebody like Brunner.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Everybody is assuming Nick Leddy is the odd man out at this point. Brad Richards took over Leddy's point spot on their 2nd PP unit. They might not get as much for Leddy since his actual salary this year is 3.4 million and he'll be an RFA. So any team who wants to keep him has to qualify him for 3.4; Long term deal then probably starts approaching 4-5 million after that.

Coyotes will be interesting to watch. Seems like they could use a forward but I'd be curious how much budget space they have. It appears that they're using Sam Gagner as a RW for the time being. That might limit their interest in somebody like Brunner.

The hardest part about determining team needs & potential trades this season is the McDavid/Eichel factor.
Does Arizona figure to go with what they've got and hope for the best either way?
There's a lot that the Hurricanes can do and should do, but they're a contender for a top draft pick this season.
And so on down the list of mediocre teams.

Not sure Arizona is in a good position (given the current state of affairs in that franchise) to throw a season away - but hey, sometimes trainwrecks are fun.

YouMyBoyBlue

Jul 19, 2013
I haven't been keeping up with this thread and I might've missed it. Anyone heard anything about Broduer?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I haven't been keeping up with this thread and I might've missed it. Anyone heard anything about Broduer?

He is still waiting for someone to give him a call. He is basically waiting for an injury to happen as no team currently is interested in him (at least no team he would play with since he doesn't want to play for a **** team)

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Apparently he's going back to Quebec to practice with his son's junior team. Beyond that, who knows. I'm guessing he's just waiting and hoping somebody gets injured or falls on their face and needs a veteran goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad