News From Around the League Part XLVIII - FREE AGENT NOT-MUCH-FRENZY Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Melrose wrote a quick article on NHL.com. Talked about how wide open the east is. Only sure thing is Boston and that the rangers got worse while us and a few other teams got better.

The sad part is Boston is probably still the only team in the conference that would have a chance at beating any of the contenders in the West in a series.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
The sad part is Boston is probably still the only team in the conference that would have a chance at beating any of the contenders in the West in a series.

Tampa is going to quickly join this list. Youth aside, they are there already for me.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
hate to say it, but I'm really looking forward to watching Tampa and Columbus this year

GhostofKenKlee

I would love an overrated player like Stastny on the Devils. I've heard it all now. `

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I would love an overrated player like Stastny on the Devils. I've heard it all now. `

Stastny is a good player but he hasn't hit more than 60 points in four years. I don't know if that's worth 7 million. Aside from that, where do you rank him among centers? Not even close to top 10. IMO he is a 55-60 point center and I feel like some people think he would have been the answer to all of our problems. He is good but not great.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Stastny was a good player who hit a weak market, there was really no way to get around an overpayment or overhyping him to justify it.

That being said, I'd still take him on this current roster any day of the week.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
just because he was in the doghouse does not mean he isn't a good player.

Every Colorado fan wanted him traded, thought he was overpaid. Stastny was treated like Brad Richards from 2011-13.

Just saying. Not that he was necessarily as bad as people thought (he still produced 50 points), but I'm cautious with stastny.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
i wouldnt call stastny overrated, but i am not a huge fan. glad the devils did not overpay for him.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Who do you think is the better player last year?

Backes or Stastny?

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Probably a 1 million more than they should have got, but they won CHI 2 cups so can't really complain if you are a fan.

Interesting that Hossa is the only high paid player with out a NTC. Too bad his contract is untradable.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
people are going to overreact and say that they are overpaid by 1-2.5 mil or something. But if you want that to be the difference between having Toews and Kane and not having them then lol.

The cap is going to rise over the deal anyway.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
people are going to overreact and say that they are overpaid by 1-2.5 mil or something. But if you want that to be the difference between having Toews and Kane and not having them then lol.

The cap is going to rise over the deal anyway.

I think the biggest problem is CHI trading quality players for non roster players. They can't afford Bickell and Seabrook in 2015-16. Both have NTC clauses. Hossa is the only high paid player who has an untradeable contract.

I find it a little odd that they couldn't get a ~9.5 million deal.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
What are the rules with trading a Cap Recapture player?

I would think a cap floor team would take Hossa just so they can take the cap hit without having to pay him?

Hossa is most likely going to retire after the 2016-17 season and he will have a cap penalty of 4.2 million for 4 years.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I think the biggest problem is CHI trading quality players for non roster players. They can't afford Bickell and Seabrook in 2015-16. Both have NTC clauses. Hossa is the only high paid player who has an untradeable contract.

I find it a little odd that they couldn't get a ~9.5 million deal.

That is true but I'm sure Stan Bowman will get some teams to take in those guys(even with the NTC's complicating it a bit). Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Khione

Swede or Turnip?
Jul 24, 2013
Duna
Well if parise gets 100$ mills then toews got too get in that area. I think thwy are underpaid. :)

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
That is true but I'm sure Stan Bowman will get some teams to take in those guys(even with the NTC's complicating it a bit). Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

My guess it isn't going to be good. I won't be surprised if CHI is in a bad position in 4 years, but even if they don't win another cup they HAD to pay Kane/Toews for what they did for the team so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad