News From Around the League Part XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Unless they are giving up McDonagh there is no way this hurts the them.

Stepan, Kreider, Zuccarello, Hagelin, and Brassard are nothing special. Thornton is a HoFer who is only 34. Seems odd that NJD fans are thinking age matters with HoF level players (Jagr, Elias). Especially when the guy is only in his mid 30s and is an absolute beast (6-4 220 lbs).

Thornton could put up 90+ PTS centering with Nash and St. Louis

That is absurd.
They are all mostly young, fast, skilled and talented players.
The type of players we lack and need desparately upfront.

No-Show Joe's best days are behind him.
A slow 35-yr old who doesn't make teams better.
He was putrid vs the Kings too.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Can you change your screen name to "Mr. Stats Guy"? ;)

Before dishing out insults to the rest of us on this forum, you should take a step back and understand that there is much more to the game of hockey than stats.
And most of your arguments are based on simple numbers.

Don't take it as an insult, but as constructive advice.

Rick Nash is the same height and similar weight to Thornton. Their has been a comparison of Nash becoming a disappointment like Thornton in the play offs. Sometimes you have to add stats. But other times just watching the style of play make a huge difference. Thornton is actually a threat and looks different on the ice than Rick Nash. People need additional methods to analyze the situation.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Rick Nash is the same height and similar weight to Thornton. Their has been a comparison of Nash becoming a disappointment like Thornton in the play offs. Sometimes you have to add stats. But other times just watching the style of play make a huge difference. Thornton is actually a threat and looks different on the ice than Rick Nash. People need additional methods to analyze the situation.

Exactly, stats are part of the equation, but so are other many other factors.

No-Show Joe is not at the low levels of Vanek as a loafer, but, he's been a major disappointment in San Jose.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
They are all really, really good players though. losing them would dent the Rangers alot. and in the longer run. Rangers giving up Stepan for Thornton would be a disaster.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
But at the moment our goal is to make the playoffs. Wouldn't you take Thornton for his regular season success and gamble on the playoffs? Even if the team is out in the first round, it is better than not making the play offs.Someone else is bound to step up and show their prowess in the play offs. The revenue the team makes in the playoffs would make up for the negative impact of Thornton. Just using this as a example.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Absolutely agreed.

It would be foolish to deal Stepan + for Joe.
Hope it happens.

Guys like Krieder and Hagelin give the Rags a dimension of speed that opens up the ice for others and also keeps opposing defensemen on their heels which leads them not to pinch in as much to keep the puck in the zone.

Quick robbed both of them quite a few times in OT in all 3 games, otherwise the Rags would have either taken the series to 7 or even won the whole thang

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
That is absurd.
They are all mostly young, fast, skilled and talented players.
The type of players we lack and need desparately upfront.

No-Show Joe's best days are behind him.
A slow 35-yr old who doesn't make teams better.
He was putrid vs the Kings too.

They are all ~50 PT players. Maybe Stepan steps up and becomes a 70 PT player, but that isn't a guarantee. Being fast is probably the most overrated hockey skill.

Elias isn't fast - Jagr isn't fast and they both have no problem playing in the NHL as they age.

They are all really, really good players though. losing them would dent the Rangers alot. and in the longer run. Rangers giving up Stepan for Thornton would be a disaster.

Thornton is going to play for another 3 years and most likely at a high level. I would bet that he puts up more points of the next three years than Stepan.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Jagr and Elias have won so much more in this league and had volumes more success than No-show Joe.
They are clutch players, he is not.

But the point is the Rags would not be wise to trade Stepan and Hagelin/Brassard/Krieder/Zuccerello for NSJ.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Unless they are giving up McDonagh there is no way this hurts the them.

Stepan, Kreider, Zuccarello, Hagelin, and Brassard are nothing special. Thornton is a HoFer who is only 34. Seems odd that NJD fans are thinking age matters with HoF level players (Jagr, Elias). Especially when the guy is only in his mid 30s and is an absolute beast (6-4 220 lbs).

Thornton could put up 90+ PTS centering with Nash and St. Louis

Zuccarello is the real deal. He plays bigger than his size with excellent playmaking ability and vision. I'd take Zucc over St. Louis right now.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Jagr and Elias have won so much more in this league and had volumes more success than No-show Joe.
They are clutch players, he is not.

But the point is the Rags would not be wise to trade Stepan and Hagelin/Brassard/Krieder/Zuccerello for NSJ.

Elias has 125 PTS in 162 playoff games (.77 per)
Thornton 100 PTS in 132 playoff games (.75 per)

Weren't you the guy that said the Rangers are going to win in 6 or 7?

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Zuccarello is the real deal. He plays bigger than his size with excellent playmaking ability and vision. I'd take Zucc over St. Louis right now.

Crazy how little you guys think of Thornton. Did you guys at least watch the games that we played against the SJS? He is dominate and can take over a game. Zucc will never be a dominate player. Possible he will never exceed this past season PTS total.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Rangers acquiring the jumbo LOSER would pretty much ensure they never win a damn thing. Especially if they give away what they gave away in the Nash trade. Between those two losers there will be years of first round exits. No show Joe is a loser. Boston knew it back in 03 and San Jose might have just finally realized it.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

I think us two were the only ones who said Zuccerello was the real deal a few seasons ago.
Popular opinion was he would not last in the NHL and that it was a matter time before he was packing his bags for Europe.

He is an immensly talented & skilled forward who plays the game the right way.
It sux that the Rags took a chance on him and hit a home run.

The only weakness of his game that I can see is sometimes he gets lost in the defensive zone and takes the wrong player (see Martinez Cup winning goal as an example).

Last edited:

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Thornton is going to play for another 3 years and most likely at a high level. I would bet that he puts up more points of the next three years than Stepan.

sure. but ill bet Stepan puts up more points in the next 15 years

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Stepan is limited physically and a step slow. He's a nice #2 center. That's all.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 11m

Told the talks between #CBJ and pending RFA Ryan Johansen are moving very slowly.

interesting. hes a good player. CBJ lowballing? hmm

EDIT: little weird considering they said they would match any offer sheet made on him

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
sure. but ill bet Stepan puts up more points in the next 15 years

I would think the Rangers are in win now mode.

I also doubt SJS are asking for Stephan. They want Pavelski and Couture as their top two Centers.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Re: Thornton to Rangers

There are two things in this league that I have learned to yawn at:

[Goaltender] to the Flyers!!
[Star Forward] to the Rangers!!

Neither one ever makes a difference.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
what assets do the Rangers have to get Thornton? unless Sather pulls I heist I don't see it. they have no picks and no real young players of value IMO since they aren't moving Kreider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad