News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2017-18 Edition PART I

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Maybe he played against defensemen who were not familiar with his move?

He assisted the Vukota like occurrence of a Nieto hat trick.

Who would think that Comeau would have more points in one game than all of these guys so far this season: Frans, KO, Moulson, Strome, Hamonic....

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Yes has to be something if Aaron Ness is in their group of 6 dmen

Whoa... Whoa... Now that he is a Cap you must write and pronounce his name appropriately... A-Ness. There is no Aaron.

In all seriousness, I have a feeling the Caps will finish as a wildcard and look similar to the Isles of two years ago.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Whoa... Whoa... Now that he is a Cap you must write and pronounce his name appropriately... A-Ness. There is no Aaron.

In all seriousness, I have a feeling the Caps will finish as a wildcard and look similar to the Isles of two years ago.
can't see that happening with them having oshie ,backstrom, ovi, kuzy, and holtby.... wish we got johansson

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Not super relevant, but heard recently on the radio that Hamonic is having a really tough year so far in Calgary. People starting to express that last year was not just an aberration and he has actually regressed quite a bit.

Hoping he can re-find his game.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
I love Hammer to death...as classy as they come but the Islanders sold high on him and did a wonderful job extracting the price they did. He's, at best, a 4th or 5th defenseman. Heart of a lion but not the guy we all thought he'd become after we got our first look at him. I'm no Snow fan by any means but he deserves a ton of credit getting that kind of asset for him.

Reactions: bigtim1988

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
According to Eklund Islanders might be in on Shipachyov

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...Det-Buffaloe4Galchenyuk-and-Oil-Buzz4/1/88421

Might not be a bad move if we can somehow dump Clutterbuck on them
Of course they are.
A 30 yr old Russian with 3-4 nhl career games, a 4.5m per season salary
and all sorts of red flags.

1.Vegas #1 center spot was his for the taking.He reportedly has a disappointing camp.

2.Vegas surprisingly competitive in it's rookie season and having cap space,tells Ship to find a trade partner and Vegas will move him.

Go get another questionable, crap contract Garth.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I love Hammer to death...as classy as they come but the Islanders sold high on him and did a wonderful job extracting the price they did. He's, at best, a 4th or 5th defenseman. Heart of a lion but not the guy we all thought he'd become after we got our first look at him. I'm no Snow fan by any means but he deserves a ton of credit getting that kind of asset for him.
Press says Snow passed on Hall for Hamonic+ in the 2016 off-season.
He gets no props for taking a lesser deal 1 year later.

Reactions: YesCubed

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Habs ex-coach has spoken out about Galenyuk attending substance abuse program.
Seems to me that they violate his privacy by bringing this up and this does not help Galenyuk move forward.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Did anyone watch the CBJ/Buffalo game last night (I did, need a life LOL), Mike Milbury was the color commentator and talked about Long Island/Islanders on the broadcast

First time was in reference to this Bailey kid on the Sabres who was trained by Pat LaFontaine while LaFontaine was a Sabre, but trained him on Long Island, and the announcer asked Milbury why not train him in Buffalo and Milbury said Long Island is a great place where many players settle down to call home, surprised he said that

Then he was talking about cap space and how that would not have mattered when he was GM with the Islanders because he was given 48 hours once to cut the payroll 20% and had to deal Wendel Clark and Mathieu Schneider just when they were ready to make noise, in the non cap era. Then said something to the effect of how he could talk a whole game about the owner LOL

never a Milbury fan but found that interesting

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Of course they are.
A 30 yr old Russian with 3-4 nhl career games, a 4.5m per season salary
and all sorts of red flags.

1.Vegas #1 center spot was his for the taking.He reportedly has a disappointing camp.

2.Vegas surprisingly competitive in it's rookie season and having cap space,tells Ship to find a trade partner and Vegas will move him.

Go get another questionable, crap contract Garth.

I’d rather have him for 2 years than Clusterf*** or Ladd for another 6. Any deal would have to involve one of those two going the other way.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Did anyone watch the CBJ/Buffalo game last night (I did, need a life LOL), Mike Milbury was the color commentator and talked about Long Island/Islanders on the broadcast

First time was in reference to this Bailey kid on the Sabres who was trained by Pat LaFontaine while LaFontaine was a Sabre, but trained him on Long Island, and the announcer asked Milbury why not train him in Buffalo and Milbury said Long Island is a great place where many players settle down to call home, surprised he said that

Then he was talking about cap space and how that would not have mattered when he was GM with the Islanders because he was given 48 hours once to cut the payroll 20% and had to deal Wendel Clark and Mathieu Schneider just when they were ready to make noise, in the non cap era. Then said something to the effect of how he could talk a whole game about the owner LOL

The only thing worse than Milbury from that era was the Milsteins and Gluckstern.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I’d rather have him for 2 years than Cluster**** or Ladd for another 6. Any deal would have to involve one of those two going the other way.
If I am Vegas, knowing there are losing teams desperate for a top 6 center(Habs/Rangers) , I am not taking a salary cap dump unless there is a very talented young player coming along with the salary cap dump.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Leave it to Milbury to complain about one of his few deals that actually worked out well! :laugh:

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
We all know the season is super early but watching the Devils this year, wow, they are fun to watch..Rookies all play a very good 2 way game, PP is active, organized and Butcher knows how to run a PP, and not a dozen or more defensive zone turnovers.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
We all know the season is super early but watching the Devils this year, wow, they are fun to watch..Rookies all play a very good 2 way game, PP is active, organized and Butcher knows how to run a PP, and not a dozen or more defensive zone turnovers.
i was watching the game and thinking the same thing ...looked like a structured team even though they blew the two goal lead...even tho we have a decent amount of veterans , the isles look so disorganized

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
i was watching the game and thinking the same thing ...looked like a structured team even though they blew the two goal lead...even tho we have a decent amount of veterans , the isles look so disorganized

It is odd, if you look logistically, Doug Weight has been here for Gordon (as a senior player), Cappy (Asst coach) and now he is coach.. and the achilles heal of the Isles for a long time has been the PP.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Am I the only one surprised that 9 games in, Edmonton is reportedly looking to move Strome?
Talk about a short leash.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
Press says Snow passed on Hall for Hamonic+ in the 2016 off-season.
He gets no props for taking a lesser deal 1 year later.

That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me in regards to defending Snow's moves. It's absolutely inexcusable.

It is odd, if you look logistically, Doug Weight has been here for Gordon (as a senior player), Cappy (Asst coach) and now he is coach.. and the achilles heal of the Isles for a long time has been the PP.

As Doug Weight has gotten more responsibility, the worse it's gotten.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The Isles breakout has been erratic and along with the influx of young/skill players is the main reason for all the turnovers. The PP, as I've stated over and over was more of a positioning and personnel decision issue that looks to be finally hashed out now with everyone positioned on the off wing. The best we can hope is that the breakout issue resolves itself in time as the young players get more of a feel for the pro game.... unless you want to see more of a structured (defensive) system being employed. Last year the Islanders were great at breakouts because they were a very structured team... there are trade offs for everything, if you want a more open high paced offense you're going to have to put up with more odd man rushes going the other way. I believe this is the way the game is going now, and when the Isles played this way a few years ago we all loved it.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
As long as they keep the power play as they have the last couple games, and keep the two top lines as is.... they are going to fare much better than last year. I absolutely believe that.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more."

General George Patton knew being fully committed to defending a position was an invitation to death. Just like going into a defensive shell when up a goal and 3 minutes to play. How many losses have the Islanders suffered the past few years in that manner?

"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest,
however tired and hungry you may be,
the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching."

If you're not pushing forward, you're standing still.... if you're standing still against an opposing force, you're getting pushed back.

"In war the only sure defense is offense,
and the efficiency of the offense depends
on the warlike souls of those conducting it."

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Daniel Carcillo had an interesting take on why VGK is off to a fast start at home. He tweeted the other day that teams are having their rookie parties when they get to Las Vegas. As good an explanation as any.

He tweeted this a few days ago but I’m having trouble linking the tweet on this new platform. Help!!!

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Daniel Carcillo had an interesting take on why VGK is off to a fast start at home. He tweeted the other day that teams are having their rookie parties when they get to Las Vegas. As good an explanation as any.

He tweeted this a few days ago but I’m having trouble linking the tweet on this new platform. Help!!!

Just drop the entire link in and it'll load

Reactions: MJF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad