News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I have absolutely no idea? It depends on the player. Every situation is different. Did Fleury think that he is going to be dealt for futures? Probably not. Did James Neal, a pending UFA, think that? Yes, probably. Though I bet Vegas wants to sign him long term now.

so again, no idea what your point is. As usual.

KEep bringing up Shattenkirk though, unprovoked. Tell me more about how we should just tank this season....remember when you were telling me that this summer? Yea, hows that working out?

you don't draft a 33 year old goalie on an expansion team if you aren't planning on moving him at some point for something absolutely fluery thought that when he was selected. of course you will take the path and say "how can you possibly know what a player is thinking" sure take the cop out route with that logic. i would also be very surprised if vegas is interested in signing a 30 year old forward to a "long term" deal. which would absolutely kill any value he would have on the trade market in the coming years. but i guess you can help me out and explain to me what do you think vegas is looking to do? are they looking to build to the future through picks/draft or are they going to try and compete now? if so then i guess yeah sign neal and keep fluery. so what do you think they are trying to do?

unprovoked? like you coming out of no where saying i wanted to tank? where did that talk come from when talking about vegas?

but to answer your question the season is working out exactly how i wanted it to. the kids are playing and growing and getting the experience they need. everything development is going well and if stays true then next year look to make a move to put the team over the top. how exactly is that tanking? but again you always take what i want out of context and twist it. its cute

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
What an absurd, asinine tangent. VGK are literally in first place in the entire West, lol. What a message to send a fan base if they’re near the top of the standings at the deadline and they’re like “ahhhh shucks. sorry gang we know you want playoff hockey, but we need to stockpile 3-5th round picks for these guys with a few 2nds”.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
so Fleury decided to waive his NMC and leave a Cup winning team to uproot his family for an expansion team only to "think" that he will be moved again soon?

Do you see how that probably makes no sense?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
so Fleury decided to waive his NMC and leave a Cup winning team to uproot his family for an expansion team only to "think" that he will be moved again soon?

Do you see how that probably makes no sense?

i'm pretty sure it had to do with him not wanting to be second fiddle to murrary and riding the bench.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
What an absurd, asinine tangent. VGK are literally in first place in the entire West, lol. What a message to send a fan base if they’re near the top of the standings at the deadline and they’re like “ahhhh shucks. sorry gang we know you want playoff hockey, but we need to stockpile 3-5th round picks for these guys with a few 2nds”.

so again next year when they are playing at the level of an expansion team and selling off the pieces what msg does that send the fans? hey see that great year we had last year? well stick with us for the next 3 and we will get back there? lol burning that fan loyalty capital

the fans are going to expect this type of success every year. good luck telling them hey that was just a fluke

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
what that a second year franchise will play to the level of a second year franchise or continue to lead the western conference? what one do you think is more likely?

And who thought they'd be doing this well in their first year? That isn't typical expansion either, but of course McPhee benefitted from a non-typical expansion draft which you're just not getting. You can't compare this team to Anaheim and Florida in the late '90's because the rules were different with more players protected and Vegas didn't have to compete with another team for expansion scraps. You're already counting them out in the second season when we don't know what their payroll is, what FA's will want to join, what prospects they got and traded for are ready to contribute.

The defeatist tank mentality of yours is jumping the shark now. I'd love to see you in a front office say we're in first place but hey let's sell off guys for 2nd and 3rd rounders that might do something in 4-5 years because the odds say we're not going to contend again next year.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
what that a second year franchise will play to the level of a second year franchise or continue to lead the western conference? what one do you think is more likely?

They're middle of the pack in corsi for. Not exactly sure why you think this is just an expansion team gone wild. They are making the playoffs so the draft lottery is out. McPhee should try to be as competitive as possible this season and worry about the offseason when it comes. You just never know if they can make noise once they make the playoffs and playing to tank can just lead to a lost decade.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They're middle of the pack in corsi for. Not exactly sure why you think this is just an expansion team gone wild. They are making the playoffs so the draft lottery is out. McPhee should try to be as competitive as possible this season and worry about the offseason when it comes. You just never know if they can make noise once they make the playoffs and playing to tank can just lead to a lost decade.

Well I don't think they should go nuts trading FOR rentals. But selling off is out of the question by any real metric if Vegas keeps up this position. If they lose 20 of their next 25, different story - then tell me about when they should sell. But I don't think that's going to happen at this point. The way they beat Tampa last night tells me this team isn't going away anytime soon.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
And who thought they'd be doing this well in their first year? That isn't typical expansion either, but of course McPhee benefitted from a non-typical expansion draft which you're just not getting. You can't compare this team to Anaheim and Florida in the late '90's because the rules were different with more players protected and Vegas didn't have to compete with another team for expansion scraps. You're already counting them out in the second season when we don't know what their payroll is, what FA's will want to join, what prospects they got and traded for are ready to contribute.

The defeatist tank mentality of yours is jumping the shark now. I'd love to see you in a front office say we're in first place but hey let's sell off guys for 2nd and 3rd rounders that might do something in 4-5 years because the odds say we're not going to contend again next year.

i'm confused you openly admit we dont know what the FA class will be like their payroll and this and that. but yet you can just as easily dismiss my idea of how it will play out? that makes sense.

o thats right the defeatist thinking of mine right? or you know what i like to call being a realist. something that a person in the front office should be. not just looking at a win now type of thinking. you would also think that we devils fans learned that lesson with uncle lou and how he mismanaged this franchise after 2012. good lord how we all have short memories here but i already know the reply to this " yeah because comparing the devils and broduer in 2013 to an expansion franchise is the same thing" well you did just say this isn't the typical expansion franchise that we are all use to no?

so i'm assuming you would want them to keep marchessault? i mean who's to say that he will ONLY get back a 2nd/3rd round pick? talk about "defeatist" mentality? i'm also amazed that people on here of all people are so willing to just give up 2nd and 3rd round picks when all i heard all summer long were people complaining about giving up a 2nd round pick to get an nhl player in mueller! can't have it both ways lol

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Or FLA with Malgin
Now I know your Florida jocking is just humor.

Although they did open the season in Europe quite a few years back, I think it was against the Blackhawks in back to back games in Sweden (or somewhere in Europe)? It was while Pete was still the head coach there.

Viola probably wouldn't wanna spend money on fueling up the jet to Europe.

Melnyk has probably been panhandling for weeks to make back the loss on the cash he spent on flying to Europe for those games last month.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devils Dominion

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not sure if I said this the other night or not, but I'm really glad the league fixed the reviews of off sides. Major disruption of play for what was often a glorified time out.

Reactions: tr83 and Bleedred

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Speaking of Vegas, I just dropped Shea Theodore in my fantasy league and immediately regretted it. It was either him or Justin Faulk but I'm still convinced he'll turn it around.

I can't see Vegas being a fluke this year, they're a great team all around with no real glaring weaknesses.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
In today's NYP, Larry Brooks says the Senzzz play the most boring style in the NHL and takes a shot at cheapo Melnyk.

Poetic justice, after Melnyk called us boring for no reason last year.

Brooks also said the Devils have exceptional skill and speed in another column.

Sux that the NYP no longer has a Devils beat writer and use an AP story.

I know there was ill will between Brooks and Lou bit with The New Regime I would think that the relationship can be mended.

Last edited:
Reactions: vtdevils2k

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Wonder why Cbj exposed Karlsson to Vegas.

He's lighting it up with the 16 goals already.

I'm glad they let him go West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad