News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If the league wants to improve player safety, at first glance the logical solution is to remove fighting. But I think one of the unintended consequences of removing fighting would be players being more likely to board, headshot and blindside each other without fear of being punched in the face.

It's a tough call, but right now I am in favor of fighting in the game as a means for the players to police themselves.

You could also match suspensions to an injury and have more significant penalties for these sorts of infractions.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I am so confused, some people on Reddit think that the Gudas slash was an incidental. It 100% was on purpose. He should get at least 10+ games. Perrault is incredibly lucky he wasn't seriously hurt.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I'll agree Gudas would otherwise be a decent defenseman but that fact will always be overshadowed by the dirty rep he's earned. He's a pos simply because this is not an isolated incident, it's a pattern. I feel it's inevitable that he'll take it too far one time and hurt someone so DOPS should get harsh with him on this. If not now, it's inevitable they will need to again later.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Goondas lol, had to do a double take when I saw it wasn't a Bleed post
It might have actually been coined by me haha.

My friend also started calling him that, after I had already called him that, despite never hearing me say it. It's too easy for Gudas and the kind of player he is.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Why should guys who are physically superior be put at a disadvantage in an athletic event? If the game was played how it was supposed to be played we would be picking up the small guys off the ice with a shovel. And I'm not talking about big guys who are goons, i'm talking about big/skilled guys who aren't able to use their body to their advantage anymore. I'm talking guys like Eric Lindros, he would be suspended on a monthly basis in todays NHL for punishing guys along the boards etc...

What are you talking about? How it was supposed to be played? Wiping out your opponent isn't the goal of hockey. It's about putting a puck in a net.

Why should guys who are faster and more skilled be kept out of competing because they're allowed to be mauled on the ice by a guy who knows he can't keep up? Do you think Cam Atkinson gets the deal he just got if every time he turns around he gets crushed because he's an easy target?

If you look at the drafts from 1990-2010, THE reason why guys who were 5'10'' or less were drafted in later rounds was because GMs were worried that they couldn't handle the physicality of the sport. That's because the rules of the NHL at the time allowed for interference, clutching a grabbing, etc. Guys like Martin St. Louis were never drafted because of this.

Eric Lindros could score, but do you think he would have as many points in today's game? No, he would have been suspended every week. Is this punishing?

Half these hits are away from the puck where there isn't any reason to hit a guys except to hurt them. Eric Lindros was a goon. Do you remember when Andreas Dackell got a headful of Lindros' elbow?

Or when he elbowed Vladimir Konstantinov?

Big guys like Ovechkin (6'4'' 240lbs) are in the league, competing. Ovie hits clean, is incredibly fast, and one of the greatest goal scorers in history. Other guys can stand in front of the net without having to gets beat up by defenders, which is advantageous to big guys. You've seen other guys like Dustin Brown become obsolete because he's slow as molasses

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
kind of reviving a discussed topic, but with the NHL out of the olympics, isn't it kind of exciting, that we'll be seeing non-NHLers have a chance to get in the spotlight? can you imagine the players teams might fight after to snatch up, from the SEL, Liiga, etc.?

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Thanks!

It doesn't sound interesting to me at all.

No need to try and acquire him, especially since he may not be all that much better than anyone else that we already have, not including Lovejoy, who we haven't been playing every game anyway.

Well now that LJ's 5v5 officially sucks and MM is out until Feb. I would take one year of Petro over 2 yrs of LJ! Even if they are the same player its a year less. If LJ sucks now what doe she look like 2 season from now. If Petro looks better with scenery change, you have something to consider in off-season, if not let him go. its 7 years younger, 1 contract year less and the money is not an issue.
A 25 yr old big physical D man or a 33 year old brought in to eat up Larrson minuted, who was sitting the bench until MM's injury. I'd be fine with this move.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well now that LJ's 5v5 officially sucks and MM is out until Feb. I would take one year of Petro over 2 yrs of LJ! Even if they are the same player its a year less. If LJ sucks now what doe she look like 2 season from now. If Petro looks better with scenery change, you have something to consider in off-season, if not let him go. its 7 years younger, 1 contract year less and the money is not an issue.
A 25 yr old big physical D man or a 33 year old brought in to eat up Larrson minuted, who was sitting the bench until MM's injury. I'd be fine with this move.
I think I'd rather not, unless it's pretty much free.

But it is the Panthers though, so it might very well be pretty much free.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
DPas5evVoAAf4x9.jpg

lol?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Tell me those are just practice jerseys and they aren't actually wearing that crap during a game?! That jersey makes our 'new' ones look like freaking artwork.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That looks like a 1930's era high school jersey.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Nolan Patrick had a very good game on the 3 line between Simmons and Martel. First real good game one the season but with a missed penalty shot also.

He's a very strong Kidd that works the boards real well.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Do the Flyers go out of their way to draft/acquire players like this, or do players just start playing this way one they put on the Orange? Or both?
It sure makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I remember someone pointed out years ago, how they've parted with players that don't fit that mold. Like JVR didn't really have that reputation, so he was traded for Luke Schenn (BAD trade for the Flyers). I never really thought that Brayden Schenn was a goon-type, then they trade him to St Louis.

I'm still trying to figure out why Hextall gets so much credit around the league. He's like the Eastern Conference darling of GM's over on the main board, much like Chayka was to the Western Conference, before this season started. I know he had to undo quite a mess from the previous GM, but he hasn't been anything special. And the goalie position over there, is really a sore sight. What else is new though? Neuvirth has played pretty solid, but Elliott gets most of the starts. Whether or not Neuvirth would play that well as a starter, who knows? Always thought of him as a 1b/backup, who fluctuates from year to year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad