News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Yo, f*** Kovy! Let Lou have him. Two has-been’s as colossal offseason acquisitions for the Piles of shit. Let the Raggies have at him if they want. Sather has a thing for old has-been’s, himself. He still apparently has final say in all hockey ops. They can stay in purgatory for a few years.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lou's been talking him up of late

Wouldn't that be tampering since he can't sign with an NHL team till July 1? Then again Lou already quasi-tampered with Tavares talking with him on behalf of the Isles while still under contract in Toronto.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Wouldn't that be tampering since he can't sign with an NHL team till July 1? Then again Lou already quasi-tampered with Tavares talking with him on behalf of the Isles while still under contract in Toronto.

Dreger wrote about it earlier. Kovy's a FA and can talk to whoever, but can't sign until July 1.

Also Lou got permission to talk to Tavares on behalf of NYI from Toronto, so that's not quasi-tampering at all, just legal.

Reactions: nugg

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
I think rules regarding Kovalchuk and non-NHL FA’s are different. I remember when Jags came back from the K he was being courted by Pittsburgh and a couple others including Philly who he eventually signed with. He was meeting with them before 7/1 and that was before we had the UFA interview period in late June which only took effect as part of the most recent CBA in 2013.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Dreger wrote about it earlier. Kovy's a FA and can talk to whoever, but can't sign until July 1.

Also Lou got permission to talk to Tavares on behalf of NYI from Toronto, so that's not quasi-tampering at all, just legal.

Supposedly Shanny didn't know Lou had gotten authorized to talk to Tavares so if he got permission it was decided above him.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Yo, **** Kovy! Let Lou have him. Two has-been’s as colossal offseason acquisitions for the Piles of ****. Let the Raggies have at him if they want. Sather has a thing for old has-been’s, himself. He still apparently has final say in all hockey ops. They can stay in purgatory for a few years.

I still think he can be a productive player, like I wouldn't be shocked to see him get 50 points.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
I still think he can be a productive player, like I wouldn't be shocked to see him get 50 points.
Oh, 50 points should be doable for him. If he can’t score 50 points in the NHL then I don’t see much reason for anyone to want him. His supercharged speed is also a thing of the past. I don’t think he’s been this big, fast freak since that back problem in 2012. Any time I’ve seen him recently he looks faster than your average 34-35 year old player. His speed just isn’t really an asset anymore especially since he was the fastest 6 foot 3, 235 pound player I’ve ever seen at one time.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Especially if he ends up on the Islanders with Tavares or Barzal as his center. It would be kind of funny if he signed there and they couldn't fix their real issues, which is keeping the puck out of their own net.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
There are many accolades that Florida is on the cusp of achieving. Approaching 2.5 decades without a playoff series win, already 2.5 decades of poor ownership and plain ineptitude. And they’re on the cusp of being shipped to Quebec City or Houston, because that’s what going on three decades of ineptitude does to a sports franchise.

More like Florida is in their cups.
Are you sure they even have cups, though? Viola and Cifu probably didn’t even wanna fork up the coin. The players probably either had to buy their own or wear used ones that the Marlins donated.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd be interested to see a list which compiles the net worth's of all primary NHL team owners. Kind of like the list that comes out every year from Forbes that lists the value of each NHL team.

Viola's networth is $1.78 billion, as of December of 2016, according to Wikipedia.

Josh Harris has a networth of $3 billion as of May 2017.

Apparently James Dolan has a networth of only $1.5 billion.

I'm not trying to tell people how to run their business, but if you want a competitive product, you gotta pony up the money. We all know there's no profit in a great deal of sports franchises. There's the joke that these billionaires buy these teams as a trophy. ''Hey guys, I own the Panthers, I know they suck, but I own them!'' during luncheons or golf outings.

But a sports team is a drop in the bucket for guys worth billions.

That said, a sports team costs much more than the players out on the ice/field. The payrolls stretch for miles and miles. They're paying to fuel the plane, the pilots and flight staff, they're paying for hotels on the road, meals, per diem for road expenses, they're paying for other road transportation by team coach buses to and fro the arenas, airports, hotels, etc. They're paying support staff, coaches, medical staff, scouting staff. I gotta figure the average NHL team is probably operating annually at nearly or just over $500 million per? Is that too high of an estimate? I was first leaning towards one billion, but that's probably way too high of an estimate for the NHL. These teams are all (or mostly) owned by billionaires. And there’s no salary cap for anything beyond the players.

At the end of the year, if you lose money? It's a tax write off.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Well I doubt that either the Knicks or Rangers are losing money even if they suck so Dolan doesn't have to invest his own money.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well I doubt that either the Knicks or Rangers are losing money even if they suck so Dolan doesn't have to invest his own money.
Dolan is scum. I remember when he told that Knicks fan to go root for the Nets. The Knicks have been the barometer of suck in the NBA for a while now when observing from afar. And then that stupid Phil Jackson tenure or whatever happened there.

That ain’t right to insult a supporter of the team like that. Even if he’s just a fraction of a drop in the bucket to your team’s support system. That fan isn’t gonna break your team’s finances, but don’t be a pompous jerk to people. They’re charging enough for you to get in and watch their terrible team play. They charge enough for both terrible teams that resided at the Garden this season.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Yeah I know they charge crazy money for Knicks who suck since I remember and Rangers were bad for 10 years and they still sold out. They don't have to worry about their fanbase because it's huge and he doesn't care if he insults few fans.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Yeah I know they charge crazy money for Knicks who suck since I remember and Rangers were bad for 10 years and they still sold out. They don't have to worry about their fanbase because it's huge and he doesn't care if he insults few fans.

Rags didn't sellout lots of games this past season

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I'd be interested to see a list which compiles the net worth's of all primary NHL team owners. Kind of like the list that comes out every year from Forbes that lists the value of each NHL team.

Viola's networth is $1.78 billion, as of December of 2016, according to Wikipedia.

Josh Harris has a networth of $3 billion as of May 2017.

Apparently James Dolan has a networth of only $1.5 billion.

I'm not trying to tell people how to run their business, but if you want a competitive product, you gotta pony up the money. We all know there's no profit in a great deal of sports franchises. There's the joke that these billionaires buy these teams as a trophy. ''Hey guys, I own the Panthers, I know they suck, but I own them!'' during luncheons or golf outings.

But a sports team is a drop in the bucket for guys worth billions.

That said, a sports team costs much more than the players out on the ice/field. The payrolls stretch for miles and miles. They're paying to fuel the plane, the pilots and flight staff, they're paying for hotels on the road, meals, per diem for road expenses, they're paying for other road transportation by team coach buses to and fro the arenas, airports, hotels, etc. They're paying support staff, coaches, medical staff, scouting staff. I gotta figure the average NHL team is probably operating annually at nearly or just over $500 million per? Is that too high of an estimate? I was first leaning towards one billion, but that's probably way too high of an estimate for the NHL. These teams are all (or mostly) owned by billionaires. And there’s no salary cap for anything beyond the players.

At the end of the year, if you lose money? It's a tax write off.
They don't mind making operating losses (also can be done on purpose with the way the accounting is done on some franchises), Owners care more about the gain in value of the franchise as capital gain is taxed on a lesser %.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad