News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Lack started 18 games total last year and only 7 through February. Darling has already started 29 games this season.
I was gonna say, the other goalie last year was more often Michael Leighton or (for a callup) Ned then it was Eddie Lack through the All Star break last year. Darling's shaky but he's still a hell of a lot better then Leighton has ever been here, hell I'd argue he's really not even worse then Lack was until that hot streak at the end of the year that he had.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I was gonna say, the other goalie last year was more often Michael Leighton or (for a callup) Ned then it was Eddie Lack through the All Star break last year. Darling's shaky but he's still a hell of a lot better then Leighton has ever been here, hell I'd argue he's really not even worse then Lack was until that hot streak at the end of the year that he had.

Leighton started 3 games. 1 in Nov, 1 in Dec, 1 in January. Ned came in relief for 1 game in January.

So through February, the back-ups started only 10 games from October through all of February. Darling has had 3 times that many.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
From theAthletic.com's Thoughts on Thoughts article where they review Friedman's 31 Thoughts:

20. When I suggested last week a Justin Faulk trade with Detroit, someone pointed out that the Hurricanes’ defenceman entered this season shooting 6.8 per cent for his career. He’s at 2.6 this season, by far the lowest mark of his NHL life. An analytically inclined organization like Carolina would certainly be aware of that.

How UNBELIEVABLY well-timed was this paragraph? And Elliotte, I’m happy to be doing a Thoughts on Thoughts today so I can highlight your (or maybe your prescient friend’s) clairvoyant observation that Faulk was having some tough shooting luck.

Faulk scored a natural hat-trick on five shots on Tuesday night, bringing him inside the NHL’s top 30 defencemen in goals scored (seven), one behind the likes of Drew Doughty, Victor Hedman, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Seth Jones … you get the idea. Faulk sits seventh in the league in shots, plays over 22 minutes a night, and is just 25 years old. I’m guessing the 'Canes aren’t in a hurry to give him a “fresh start.”

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
In media darling news...

Five Invaluable, Inexpensive Role Players Up For Grabs at the NHL Trade Deadline | The Hockey News

Always interesting to include 2 of your 5 rentals from a team that is currently sitting in a playoff spot and playing some of the best hockey they've played all year. Particularly interesting when you start it with:
This isn't the way Carolina saw this campaign going

Yes, dummy, Carolina expected to be competing for the President's trophy this year...

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
In media darling news...

Five Invaluable, Inexpensive Role Players Up For Grabs at the NHL Trade Deadline | The Hockey News

Always interesting to include 2 of your 5 rentals from a team that is currently sitting in a playoff spot and playing some of the best hockey they've played all year. Particularly interesting when you start it with:

Yes, dummy, Carolina expected to be competing for the President's trophy this year...
See they just can't stop talking about our 'Canes. :rolleyes:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
This is possibly the greatest Canes marketing tool I've ever seen put into practice.

Elementary/Middle school kids largely drive their family's disposable spending. High School and College kids have a million other things to entertain themselves and are largely independent. Younger kids getting excited about the Canes is going to bring casual fans to the games.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
deleted previous post.

Not sure why it took them so lnog to do that with the practice though.

It's done all through out minor league baseball, but for games. I understand why you can't do it for games at the NHL level, but kids probably still, and from the looks of it, loved just being at the practice.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
This is possibly the greatest Canes marketing tool I've ever seen put into practice.

Elementary/Middle school kids largely drive their family's disposable spending. High School and College kids have a million other things to entertain themselves and are largely independent. Younger kids getting excited about the Canes is going to bring casual fans to the games.

And this was started before Dundon took over as it started in October.

They also have another initiative with middle schools (the reading one was Elementary schools) around fitness and healthy eating.

Canes and WCPSS Introduce Power Play Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad