News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Could be. But if you really want to change up the culture by moving guys that have been here a while, Skinner has been here the longest followed by Faulk. The fact that he's a UFA in a year probably plays in as well.

It makes sense, logically. I just really like Skinner and this he was largely misused during most of his time here. I can't help but think the return for him is going to be underwhelming and the odds of him having success elsewhere is actually pretty high. Plus, I just really worry about how young we're going to be next season.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I really don't want to move Skinner. With Staal, I was uneasy about it, but it had to happen. It feels like it can go either way with Brind'Amour and Skinner - he's motivated and returns to '16-'17 Skinner, or complete conflict of personalities and he's gotta go.
Then what?
Let him walk next summer for nothing?
I think his contractual status is the overriding factor in any decision...not his performance. If we can't successfully extend him then he has to be moved. If we were Cup contenders for 18-19 then I'd agree with you. But we obviously are not.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It makes sense, logically. I just really like Skinner and this he was largely misused during most of his time here. I can't help but think the return for him is going to be underwhelming and the odds of him having success elsewhere is actually pretty high. Plus, I just really worry about how young we're going to be next season.

Those are my concerns as well. I said before I would expect him to score 35+ goals next season. I do wonder what came out of the player interviews with Dundon, because he immediately said they need a shake-up and it wasn't long after that where Skinner's name was out there. Waddell certainly hasn't backed away from it at all when asked.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Then what?
Let him walk next summer for nothing?
I think his contractual status is the overriding factor in any decision...not his performance. If we can't successfully extend him then he has to be moved. If we were Cup contenders for 18-19 then I'd agree with you. But we obviously are not.

Don't you think he'd be ultra-valuable at the deadline? We'd have already paid 80 percent of his salary and standard cost is a pick and a prospect.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Those are my concerns as well. I said before I would expect him to score 35+ goals next season. I do wonder what came out of the player interviews with Dundon, because he immediately said they need a shake-up and it wasn't long after that where Skinner's name was out there. Waddell certainly hasn't backed away from it at all when asked.

He checks all the boxes, so I'm not surprised his name is out there. He's been here forever and never made the playoffs. He underachieved this season. His contract is up after next year, etc.

On the other hand, I'd love to see Skinner in a contract year, getting top-6 minutes and power-play time.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I just don’t see any way the Canes will trade Skinner if Brind’Amour believes he can get him back to being a 30+ goal winger. Canes won’t torpedo Rod with the amount of faith they have put in him. If Skinner is traded then it is because Rod doesn’t believe he is part of his solution.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I really don't want to move Skinner. With Staal, I was uneasy about it, but it had to happen. It feels like it can go either way with Brind'Amour and Skinner - he's motivated and returns to '16-'17 Skinner, or complete conflict of personalities and he's gotta go.
Wonder if we could trade him to Minn for EStaal? I would take him back to retire here in a year or two. He's still banging 'em home. Don't hit me. :laugh:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
there are a lot of layers to the skinner situation. i think the should we keep him/should we not keep him indecision to this point from the front office has damaged the relationship. bob has mentioned that the decision seems to be somewhat mutual that a long-term future between the parties doesn't seem realistic, and that's the point when you need to pull the pin. we actually got a bit of resolution today when we saw the absolute silly contract that evander kane just received. $49 million over 7 years for a similar impact on the game. skinner and his agent would be missing value to ask for anything under $7.5 and we just can't do that with the players we've got coming up that are more important to our team and need to be prioritized. so the questions you have to ask yourself start to become more clear:

1. do we benefit from skinner enough in 18-19 to not care what happens in 19-20?
2. will skinner be able to be persuaded into signing a contract with us if his 18-19 season goes incredibly well and we have some team success?
3. does skinner at $7.5 annually preclude us from prioritizing the real core of this team?
4. has the relationship been damaged to the extent that skinner's presence on the team in 18-19 will be duchene in colorado levels of distraction for the rest of the team?
5. if we aren't able to make headway on an extension, do we have a plan to trade him at the deadline regardless of how competitive we are? since losing him for nothing is the absolute worst case scenario, this particular point is pertinent.

if we have any real idea as to how those above questions should be answered, we should move with that knowledge right now and not wait for the situation to become untenable or where every possible resolution is less attractive than it is right now. as much as it sucks to think about this team without skinner, the fact that our two most apathetic players are our longest tenured players speaks to acceptance of a losing culture and the prioritization of individual agenda ahead of team success. we are in a position where, presumably, we can introduce two impact players onto our roster next season. if there ever was a time to manage some personalities and optimize a return for a player who isn't part of the long term picture, it's now.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Number 3 is the big one I'm worried about. If Necas, presumably Svechnikov, and maybe 1 or 2 of the current Checkers do really well, are we going to be able to afford them as a budget team that's potentially paying Skinner 7 million plus long term? Aho is a given to get paid, so we have to factor in his next contract as well.

I just hope if we do trade him, it's out of the conference and for a really good return.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
This one kinda seems like it's already been decided, the details just have to be worked out. It's probably best for everyone around, I think we all fully expect Jeff to light it up wherever he goes. Then you have extensions for Turbo and Aho on deck, the Pesece/Slavin extensions kicking in, Lindholm and Noah needing new deals this summer, Rask and Staal signed forever etc. Not everyone is gonna get paid long-term.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'll be as sad anyone if Skinner is traded, but if it helps us hopefully in the short and long term, I'll live. I just want to see this team win again. I'd love for it to be with guys like Skinner and Faulk around, but we gotta do what we gotta do. As long as Waddell lives up to his promise of not giving guys away, I'm okay with it. It's inevitable that big changes are coming to this organization at this point.

And with an incredibly risky player like Kane getting that money and term, you know a guy like Skinner will get paid big time as well.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
On the other hand, I'd love to see Skinner in a contract year, getting top-6 minutes and power-play time.

I've said this multiple times...."contract year" Skinner is going to be a sight to behold. And, as such, do we want to....

do we benefit from skinner enough in 18-19 to not care what happens in 19-20?

....run the risk of losing him for nothing if he's part of a long lost playoff run?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Chuck Kaiton's future with Carolina Hurricanes uncertain as team explores radio options

Chuck on his way out. Long story short sounds like they lose money on radio broadcasts and don’t know why they bother doing them. I imagine they don’t lose money on TV but they stand to make more with Shaya and any assclown than with John and Tripp.

And of course, Fenway used this as an opportunity to create a thread on the BOH board to say that this is an indication that Dundon is going to be moving the WhalerCanes. Too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad