News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Skinner only improves this team if he's scoring goals. He literally has little value outside of that, but we only had 3 players score 20+ goals last season and even in a down year, he was one of them. As much as I'd like to think Aho, TT, Necas, and Svech are going to light it up next season, if they don't, we're going to need scoring depth. That's my only issue with moving Skinner right now. You can bet your ass you'll get 20-30 goals from him, even if his season is sub par. That being said, he could fetch a nice return as well. It's all a gamble I guess.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
there are a lot of layers to the skinner situation. i think the should we keep him/should we not keep him indecision to this point from the front office has damaged the relationship. bob has mentioned that the decision seems to be somewhat mutual that a long-term future between the parties doesn't seem realistic, and that's the point when you need to pull the pin. we actually got a bit of resolution today when we saw the absolute silly contract that evander kane just received. $49 million over 7 years for a similar impact on the game. skinner and his agent would be missing value to ask for anything under $7.5 and we just can't do that with the players we've got coming up that are more important to our team and need to be prioritized. so the questions you have to ask yourself start to become more clear:

1. do we benefit from skinner enough in 18-19 to not care what happens in 19-20?
2. will skinner be able to be persuaded into signing a contract with us if his 18-19 season goes incredibly well and we have some team success?
3. does skinner at $7.5 annually preclude us from prioritizing the real core of this team?
4. has the relationship been damaged to the extent that skinner's presence on the team in 18-19 will be duchene in colorado levels of distraction for the rest of the team?
5. if we aren't able to make headway on an extension, do we have a plan to trade him at the deadline regardless of how competitive we are? since losing him for nothing is the absolute worst case scenario, this particular point is pertinent.

if we have any real idea as to how those above questions should be answered, we should move with that knowledge right now and not wait for the situation to become untenable or where every possible resolution is less attractive than it is right now. as much as it sucks to think about this team without skinner, the fact that our two most apathetic players are our longest tenured players speaks to acceptance of a losing culture and the prioritization of individual agenda ahead of team success. we are in a position where, presumably, we can introduce two impact players onto our roster next season. if there ever was a time to manage some personalities and optimize a return for a player who isn't part of the long term picture, it's now.

To keep this going, '16-'17 Skinner would/should be a "real" core member and is worth every penny of $7.5m. It wasn't just the goals that year either; he was competent in his own end and just a f***ing animal everywhere else. Easily one of my favorite seasons of any Cane. But, AMO summed it up: it all comes down to what Rod thinks he can get out of him consistently.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Unless it's part of a deal or series's of deals to bring in a proven starting goalie I just don't see how trading Skinner improves the team. Maybe he's a diva and it will help the morale of the team-- I don't get that vibe but it's a possibility. He wasn't any more or less checked out than anyone else was last year. If he's motivated and brings what he did in 16-17 (and you'd have to think he would in a contract year) i would just as soon rely on him rather than the pieces anyone would be ok with giving up in a deal for him.

On another note "all along the watchtower" might be a cool goal song, the part where the wind began to howl and the little dweetdweetdweetdoodiddledootdootdoo

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Part of me hopes we turn to Brass Bonanza for our goal song. The constant stream of shit we get from the NE over the 'Whalercanes' just irks me to no end. Selling Whalers gear in the Eye last year pissed off a whole bunch of them, and seeing the video of BB played in the PNC Arena caused even more hand wringing from the North. I say go full bore "f*** you" and use it as our goal song going forward while the team wears the eye of the storm.

In reality, with Avicii having died this past year, wouldn't be opposed to keeping the same song in his memory, at least for another season.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
According to the newspaper Sportbladet (Grönborg jagas av NHL-klubbar), Carolina is interested in the Swedish head coach Rikard Grönborg. They name two NHL teams (Canes and Sabres) that is interested. He is saying that he's only interested in a head coaching job, and that he and his family is planning to continue living in Stockholm.

Not much info really, just interesting to see that Canes are interested and if they are, what role they are planning for him.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
D54F1C0A-F2EB-4DD8-9894-6790BD6AABB6.jpeg

QC which has an arena and would be a viable market is being skipped over for Houston after Seattle expansion, so who really thinks that they would let the Canes relocate (even in 7 years)

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ok everyone, I have a hockey question about powerplays.

My background is that I didn’t play hockey growing up (except street), and while I’ve been a fan of the game since I was 7 I never quite got the same level of understanding as I would have had I played (was never “coached”).

My question is the following: why in the NHL do powerplays seem to flow so much through the right half-wall (Kucherov, Backstrom, etc.), in order to set up the one-timer on the left, but (seemingly) fewer flow the other way around? Even the Canes seem to operate this way, using TT as their guy on the right half-wall. While the guy operating the half-wall can certainly score on the one-timer if he’s a lefty (and Kucherov does), it seems it’s usually on a “return” pass more than actually being the focal point for a one-timer (like a Stamkos, Ovechkin, Laine, for the Canes a Faulk two seasons ago). TT scored his fair share this past year, but they weren’t set one-timers but more that type of flowing return pass I’m referencing (certainly if he were the intended triggerman we wouldn’t be having the “he needs to shoot more” discussion). When I picture the guy on the left scoring, it’s a set one-time blast from the circle. When I picture the guy on the right, it’s usually more in the flow of play - maybe he takes the space the defense gives him for a wrister, or maybe a one-timer from closer in after the defense breaks down. Kucherov’s the only one I can picture taking one timers like Laine or Ovy, but even then it’s clear that he’s the straw that stirs the drink and Stammer is there to be the triggerman (i.e. Kucherov’s one-timer is dangerous, but “secondary” to what they’re trying to set up).

Is it simply because the top NHL triggermen today seem to be righties? Or is there something about the way the game flows that makes the right half-wall preferred? (Blocker vs. glove side?) Or, am I simply mistaken, and there actually are plenty of PPs that flow through the left half-wall and I’m just not familiar and/or can’t picture it?

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
I think it has to do with the handedness of the goalies in that most are right handed. But then again, there's more for the puck to hit on that side, so it also probably depends on whether the goalie has a capable glove hand.

May also be that since most skaters are left handed that it's easier to pass to someone on the left side.

But I'm in your boat, too, just speculating.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm spiteful enough to say use and abuse it with the underhanded consequence of permanently destroying the nostalgic value of it.
Good luck with that. And you can blow it out your ass.

Though I do agree with Hank in some ways. Playing it over and over again for a team with no playoffs is a good way to kill it.

Seems kinda fitting at the same time though!

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Good luck with that. And you can blow it out your ass.

Though I do agree with Hank in some ways. Playing it over and over again for a team with no playoffs is a good way to kill it.

Seems kinda fitting at the same time though!

Yeah, no interest in Brass Bonanza as our goal song (I'll agree for different reasons, bleed. You know I don't like the song at all ;))

So Washington turned around their fortunes this season by changing their goal song to a WWE goal song ("Combative," the theme of Oney Lorcan, who's on their NXT brand). Nashville uses a couple WWE themes as their bumpers into each period ("Glorious Domination," the theme of Raw's Bobby Roode and "Catch Your Breath," the theme of Raw's Finn Balor) How about we draw from the same inspirational bucket? "Celtic Invasion," the theme of Smackdown's Becky Lynch. It seems like it'd fit as a goal song.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Yeah, no interest in Brass Bonanza as our goal song (I'll agree for different reasons, bleed. You know I don't like the song at all ;))

So Washington turned around their fortunes this season by changing their goal song to a WWE goal song ("Combative," the theme of Oney Lorcan, who's on their NXT brand). Nashville uses a couple WWE themes as their bumpers into each period ("Glorious Domination," the theme of Raw's Bobby Roode and "Catch Your Breath," the theme of Raw's Finn Balor) How about we draw from the same inspirational bucket? "Celtic Invasion," the theme of Smackdown's Becky Lynch. It seems like it'd fit as a goal song.

Not bad not bad.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI

That's a pretty good selection. Anything that will get fans to sing something, I'm down for like the rangers have. I got an email notification that they are doing fan voting for the goal song, I might need vote for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad