• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
We basically stole another win. We're playing pond hockey out there and if not for Lundsanity and some opportunistic successes, we'd be in deep fecal matter. I understand that it was the sixth game in nine nights and we were running low on gas, but we're getting dominated in possession and we have no cycle game to speak of. Other than the lone best shift we've had in 65 years (seriously) at one point, when we had the puck in the Bruins' zone for like 2 minutes that amounted to an even-strength power play.

Thanks mate.

Reactions: will1066

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm really concerned that many of the hardcore advanced stats advocates are too lost in the numbers to consider the bigger picture.

I have an advanced mathematics education. I am a huge proponent of analytics and metrics in almost every aspect of my professional life. I personally don't care to analyze hockey (which I watch for fun) the same way I do the things that I am responsible for at work, and the fanatic and smug adherence to a few of these stats has made this place significantly less enjoyable to visit.

The eye test is real. The reality you experience is real. Yes, your senses are prone to tons of subconscious biases, but you can make yourself aware of them and minimize their effects. I've read and love Kahneman/Tversky/Thaler - I'm a believer, seriously.

Statistics, in addition to being predictive, should also be descriptive. When the numbers don't match experience, it is entirely possible that your biases are clouding your experience, but it's also possible that the numbers are either ill-conceived or simply not applicable to the situation at hand. Good analysis is backed by data but is comprised of much more than JUST DATA.

Yeah, I appreciate Machinehead's passion for "advanced stats" but I sometimes wonder if he's like a kid that learned a cool trick on a bicycle and is now trying to pretend like he's an expert.

Reactions: JohnC

Elevate

May 30, 2014
Judging by the poll I seem to be the only one with this opinion, but I thought Hayes had a very good game. Nifty on the PK and solid 5v5.

Great feeling to snag 4 points over the weekend. Well deserved rest until Tuesday, boy did the lads look out of steam for stretches this game.

Reactions: Blueshirt Special

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
yeah a beautiful screen and a snipe! :D
What a hockey weekend 4 pts in less than 24 hours.
Yeah buddy! I'd have to say we have quickly made up the lost game in Ottawa with wins vs LA and @ Boston. Probably anyone would be happy with a 2-1 record in that 3 game stretch. Would've been same had we lost to LA and defeated Ott.
Fact I'm happier this way......we proved we could beat yet another REALLY GOOD TEAM in L.A.

Reactions: Ori

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We basically stole another win. We're playing pond hockey out there and if not for Lundsanity and some opportunistic successes, we'd be in deep fecal matter. I understand that it was the sixth game in nine nights and we were running low on gas, but we're getting dominated in possession and we have no cycle game to speak of. Other than the lone best shift we've had in 65 years (seriously) at one point, when we had the puck in the Bruins' zone for like 2 minutes that amounted to an even-strength power play.

I actually don’t think you get it as you say you do. 6 games in 9 nights without your top center. You’re lucky to keep your head above water let alone come out with as as many pts as we did. Then you play two white hot teams in La and Boston in less than 24 hours and win them both?

That is some serious message sending.

Team gutted it out. So when you say you get it but then bash them for mistakes made due to exhaustion and or not carrying the play well no you don’t get it at least not in regards to this conversation.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Nash on-ice

Shots for the Rangers: 4

Shots for Boston: 21

:dunno:
Is that 5v5 or including his PK minutes? if included, I don't see how that stat is relevant. Why would he be on the PK in the 1st place if he was so bad defensively.......what about his linemates......don't they share that similar stat? Defensemen? I dunno, seems unfair.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It's a shame Grabner is gunna be too expensive for us. Yet again we bring in a role player, he excels and gets big money elsewhere.

It's almost as if we are a well-run organization.
Better that way then via accepting overpriced over the hill players. Used to be our mantra. We don't NEED 10 million dollar players if we can underpay and abuse players because they WANT to be in NY playing for the Rangers. Successful organizations do this regularly. That "hometown discount" is very underrated and allows $$ to be spread out so we have a well rounded roster.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
It's amazing, too, when you think about it. We aren't Pittsburgh, where if Crosby goes down they have a legit 2nd #1 Center in Malkin. The Rangers have been playing without the guy that's been their best offensive player, best PP player, and best FO% guy for nine games and somehow getting wins. Don't kid yourself, Zibs being out is a huge hole for this team.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Stralman is up there as well.
Yes, but "re-signing" him would have brought that over the top. We had better start looking for a speedy, cheaper Grabs replacement ala Grabs over Hags. Could we have him already in Boo? Speaking of Boo.......why aren't we giving him a shot with Kreids and Boochy? What a huge, fast and somewhat talented 1st line that would be. IMO, would help in Boo's development.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I cant wait for Zibby to come back so Carey can go back where he belongs the graveyard shift at Sizzler
That's not fair, and I think he's done admirably well after a rough start. What more would we want, he's been busting his ass forechecking a few timely goals and overall not a black hole on the 4th line. Just asking.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It was exactly 1 1/2 minutes, lol. Would have been a great capping of that domination had we scored, and still might have had Zuccha not taken that penalty which was stupid.
On that note, seemed the refs did all they could do to give Boston every opportunity to win this game from us. Not saying Ranger penalties weren't warranted, but many missed on our end of it. Not even close. Why don't we get that kind of home ice advantage......that's all I ask for. Be fair.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It was exactly 1 1/2 minutes, lol. Would have been a great capping of that domination had we scored, and still might have had Zuccha not taken that penalty which was stupid.
On that note, seemed the refs did all they could do to give Boston every opportunity to win this game from us. Not saying Ranger penalties weren't warranted, but many missed on our end of it. Not even close. Why don't we get that kind of home ice advantage......that's all I ask for. Be fair.

2017-18 NHL Hockey Stats and League Leaders - Major Penalties - National Hockey League - ESPN

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Larry, I totally understood Zooks slashing that guy after taking a late crosscheck when the puck was already gone. I can't bash our team for being soft and then complain when one of our guys stands up for himself. The ref should have called the crosscheck if he was going to call the slash in my opinion.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
She was smokin' lol.

Did you catch the two chicks behind the Broons bench? They looked like the Hansons. :D
Planned that way, all they did was motivate the Bruins into playing better so they could make more money, ensuring they wouldn't be relegated to a life with an ugly chick. Naaaah, just kidding.....beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Point is, they didn't even come close to distracting anyone coming back to the bench.
I think every Ranger was especially happy to get off the ice today......just to catch a glance. Lol

Reactions: NCRanger

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yes, but "re-signing" him would have brought that over the top. We had better start looking for a speedy, cheaper Grabs replacement ala Grabs over Hags. Could we have him already in Boo? Speaking of Boo.......why aren't we giving him a shot with Kreids and Boochy? What a huge, fast and somewhat talented 1st line that would be. IMO, would help in Boo's development.
Boo can do a lot of nice things but he's not a scorer. Never has been and never will be.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I actually don’t think you get it as you say you do. 6 games in 9 nights without your top center. You’re lucky to keep your head above water let alone come out with as as many pts as we did. Then you play two white hot teams in La and Boston in less than 24 hours and win them both?

That is some serious message sending.

Team gutted it out. So when you say you get it but then bash them for mistakes made due to exhaustion and or not carrying the play well no you don’t get it at least not in regards to this conversation.

Great post. To some here every game is supposed to be a Picasso regardless of the situation.

Reactions: NCRanger

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Can't fault AV for limiting Kreider and Buch to essentially 3rd line minutes because with DD this is what that line is. I tried to see what happens if either Miller or Hayes are shifted to be there center and it looks even worse elsewhere whatever line DD would center.

Rangers are hanging tough with their best and most important forward out.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Can't fault AV for limiting Kreider and Buch to essentially 3rd line minutes because with DD this is what they are. I tried to see what happens if either Miller or Hayes are shifted to be there center and it looks even worse elsewhere whatever line DD would center.

Rangers are hanging tough with their best and most important forward out.

I knew CK and Buch minutes would be lower because they do not kill penalties and we had 6 or more penalties against us last night.

Reactions: Ori
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad