GDT: New York Islanders vs New York Rangers Sept 26 Preseason Game 2 7 PM on MSG and NHL Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
It's still more active than the NHL, but it's not the warzone it used to be. Rempe will definitely be fighting some tough dudes this year.

There was a time where I'm not sure some teams even had regular players. Haha. But as the NHL has gotten less goonish and more skilled, so have the feeder leagues. While the fighting is exciting, the AHL now offers some really great hockey to watch. They are good which is why it's more important than ever to invest in good depth.

haha yea i was talking more like 2007-2015 era so not too far back, but yea the stories i'd hear about the 70s/80s sounded like a blood sport. even then usually teams had at least 1-2 guys who could really throw, a heavyweight and then one of those shorter refrigerator build guys that was an absolute killer. and then there were guys that size that went out every shift to try and literally take someones head off.

saw a few of hfd's playoff games last year but obviously fighting drops off there, aside from the occasional blowout mayhem game. definitely a solid level of play, at least from a speed/skill perspective. on the one hand i love the intensity/physicality of it at times, but it would frustrate the hell out of me to play. very beehive like and everything in a frenzied chaos...not a very fluid and organized game so it handcuffs hockey iq. plays a lot more to guys with higher end physical tools

Reactions: MrAlmost

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Or the helmet visor requirements.

Punching a helmet visor hurts.

maybe...but don't think the visor hurts any more than punching a helmet and players certainly never avoided that. whole lot of nhl players mix in mma training/workouts - they work a lot on balance and leverage etc and it's massively popular in the league - and then a lot of the guys that get into scraps get a little more into the striking element of it.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Jake Leschyshyn picked up an assist. Details at 11.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad