Post-Game Talk: "New Year's Revenge"; not a Lifetime Movie, but a WPG 4 - NYI 2 win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
There was a play last night where someone was streaking into the O zone and I thought it was Ehlers at first, but it was Petan! If he could create that kind of speed on a consistent basis, it would do wonders for his play.

Buff I thought, played a much better game. He jumped up at the right times, and left the play to go back to D much quicker. Amazing how much of a difference his play makes on the entire game.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Wheeler and Buff still need to know when to get off the ice though..... Wheeler was essentially double shifting at least twice that I saw.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Another issue with the PP... Buff takes excessively long shifts on the PP. Now that he has been shifted to the left half wall, that means that he's eating into Laine's time on the PP, which is a bad idea.

Last night, PP TOI:

Wheeler 4:38
Buff 5:27
Perreault 4:17
Laine 2:44

That's just messed up.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Another issue with the PP... Buff takes excessively long shifts on the PP. Now that he has been shifted to the left half wall, that means that he's eating into Laine's time on the PP, which is a bad idea.

Last night, PP TOI:

Wheeler 4:38
Buff 5:27
Perreault 4:17
Laine 2:44

That's just messed up.

When you watch the vision and passing of Ehlers, Laine, Petan, Morrissey, Scheif.... It's hard to imagine that they aren't leading the PP mins. It's actually insane to me. that seems like such a deadly PP if you put them out there for the rest of the season and just let them work through it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
When you watch the vision and passing of Ehlers, Laine, Petan, Morrissey, Scheif.... It's hard to imagine that they aren't leading the PP mins. It's actually insane to me. that seems like such a deadly PP if you put them out there for the rest of the season and just let them work through it.

Yup. :shakehead

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Strange game last night, they had a lot working really well, their pressure in the offensive 1/3rd and the neutral zone was tremendous, their zone breakouts were there typical tire fire.

Pk was better, hilarious that Mo finally realizes it needed to try and be more aggressive, we've been saying that on this board since November.

His player usage continues to astound me, especially on the PP. It's just ****ed up.

Funny how Buff gets credit for playing a smarter game when they win. I noticed him deep in the offensive zone last night more than I have in a lot of games this season. He wasn't any different, his goalie made some saves and his teammates were more organized behind him.

Helle was pretty solid although I didn't like either of the goals he gave up, the second was a bit of a seeing eye shot but you can't let a shot along the ice go in like that.

Resigning Bryan Little is a priority.

Petan was good, his production would be much higher with consistently better linemates. Last night was pretty much a microcosm of his season to some extent, beauty play to Dano, can't convert, a post and a cross bar and a highlight reel goal taken away because his winger lifted his foot too early. That is one unlucky night.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Strange game last night, they had a lot working really well, their pressure in the offensive 1/3rd and the neutral zone was tremendous, their zone breakouts were there typical tire fire.

Pk was better, hilarious that Mo finally realizes it needed to try and be more aggressive, we've been saying that on this board since November.

His player usage continues to astound me, especially on the PP. It's just ****ed up.

Funny how Buff gets credit for playing a smarter game when they win. I noticed him deep in the offensive zone last night more than I have in a lot of games this season. He wasn't any different, his goalie made some saves and his teammates were more organized behind him.

Helle was pretty solid although I didn't like either of the goals he gave up, the second was a bit of a seeing eye shot but you can't let a shot along the ice go in like that.

Petan was good, his production would be much higher with consistently better linemates. Last night was pretty much a microcosm of his season to some extent, beauty play to Dano, can't convert, a post and a cross bar and a highlight reel goal taken away because his winger lifted his foot too early. That is one unlucky night.

To the bolded... I actually thought that although Buff jumped up in the play, he stopped himself from getting trapped. A couple of times he actually stopped on his way in and turned around. Looked like a conscious effort. I could be wrong, though. It has happened before. :)

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg

Uuugh I wanted Dano to bury that chance. What a beauty pass that was.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
To the bolded... I actually thought that although Buff jumped up in the play, he stopped himself from getting trapped. A couple of times he actually stopped on his way in and turned around. Looked like a conscious effort. I could be wrong, though. It has happened before. :)

I think you're right. I thought I saw a play in the second half of the third when the team had a two goal lead where Buff was taking the puck through the neutral zone and for a moment looked like he was going to try to go deep, but decided to dump it in.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
He thought it was a dive. Laughing at what he thought was a bad call.

He looks like a good player but thinks he's better than he is.

If Ho-Sang actually thought that was a dive, he's too stupid for words.

Ehlers crashed hard into the net and was lucky not to be injured.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

No I don't think you're wrong at all, I just think those exact same things happen most games but results dictate whether they were good or bad. I also saw him hang down below the goal line after the puck had gone back up top on at least two or three occasions.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
No I don't think you're wrong at all, I just think those exact same things happen most games but results dictate whether they were good or bad. I also saw him hang down below the goal line after the puck had gone back up top on at least two or three occasions.

Gotcha. I'm probably guilty of ranting on those occasions. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Well Beyak said ............ :laugh:

It did seem to me that he was picking his spots well but that may be because the rest of the team was playing better. I also thought he was usually quicker getting back into position though. Usually still leaves room for your couple of exceptions.

OTOH I may be doing just as you say and reacting to results. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad