New Winnipeg Ice Arena

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
An insurance policy against what, exactly, though?

It's hard to imagine Manitoba becoming QMJHL country. Wouldn't it more likely be assigned to the OHL? It would be a much easier sell to get recruits to go to a place like Peterborough or Guelph as compared to somewhere like Baie-Comeau or Val d'Or.

Steinbach is growing fast and may in another 25 years be ready for the WHL. But it's not there yet. Even a somewhat compromised Winnipeg situation is probably going to be a better place for the league than somewhere like Steinbach. I don't think there is any other place in Manitoba that could realistically handle the WHL. Maybe possibly one day Morden-Winkler could team up and build an arena halfway between their cities (sort of like their hospital). But that would be a massive ask for a team with no history and track record in their communities.

I have heard whispers locally of Steinbach hosting a WHL team, but only whispers.

New arena coming down the pipeline, set to open in the fall of 2024.

There is certainly the money in the area for it. Maybe not the raw population, but the area is ridiculously wealthy.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I have heard whispers locally of Steinbach hosting a WHL team, but only whispers.

New arena coming down the pipeline, set to open in the fall of 2024.

There is certainly the money in the area for it. Maybe not the raw population, but the area is ridiculously wealthy.

Steinbach hosting a WHL team is theoretically possible. But the arena they are building is on the small side of things by WHL standards. 2,400 seats. Great for the MJHL, very small for the WHL. Maybe you could squeeze a few hundred more seats in there somehow without expensive structural alterations. But ultimately a Steinbach WHL team would be looking at 40+ years in an arena that has a lower seating capacity than the rinks in Swift Current and Prince Albert.

It's one thing to play in a tiny arena on a temporary basis the way that the ICE are in Winnipeg, but it's another to do it on a permanent basis.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Steinbach hosting a WHL team is theoretically possible. But the arena they are building is on the small side of things by WHL standards. 2,400 seats. Great for the MJHL, very small for the WHL. Maybe you could squeeze a few hundred more seats in there somehow without expensive structural alterations. But ultimately a Steinbach WHL team would be looking at 40+ years in an arena that has a lower seating capacity than the rinks in Swift Current and Prince Albert.

It's one thing to play in a tiny arena on a temporary basis the way that the ICE are in Winnipeg, but it's another to do it on a permanent basis.

I'd say the chances are non-zero, but thats about it.

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
1687015234970.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad