OT: New OT Bread

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
My annual attempt to cancel The Athletic sub fell though, again. On the confirm cancellation page they, again, came back with some $50 off of the annual plan offer. What else is a consumer there to do other than just take the offer? It's like 2 bucks a month now. Let's see how many years they can keep this up. They seem desperate for sure.

Weird. i haven't updated it in a while ... duckduckgo app version is pretty old i think, says version 5.159.1
Manage cookie popups is disabled in duckduckgo settings
and i'm not using "desktop site" mode.

Well this is weird. This time when I used the browser the second time on hfboards I didn't get any prompts anymore. Let's hope this will stay.

Reactions: Bender66

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
LOTD, Alpha Legion, and Behemoth here
Very nice, LOTD sounds pretty cool. I started collecting some CSM and have been working through my pile of shame. Whole lot of Grey plastic in my cabinet. I was thinking of running them as CoB in 9th edition. I got some color shifting purple paint I wanted to try our for the color scheme.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Very nice, LOTD sounds pretty cool. I started collecting some CSM and have been working through my pile of shame. Whole lot of Grey plastic in my cabinet. I was thinking of running them as CoB in 9th edition. I got some color shifting purple paint I wanted to try our for the color scheme.
Been playing since 2nd edition. The pile is a mountain :laugh:

I haven’t used the color shirt paints, but you can get a cool Alpha Legion effect using thinned contrast paints over a zenithal metallic. Honestly I paint more than I play at this point.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Been playing since 2nd edition. The pile is a mountain :laugh:

I haven’t used the color shirt paints, but you can get a cool Alpha Legion effect using thinned contrast paints over a zenithal metallic. Honestly I paint more than I play at this point.
Very nice. I enjoy the modeling aspect but I lack the patience to really spend the time to hone my painting skills. I like to think I do okay but reddit tends to humble me greatly.
20230127_200858.jpg

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Very nice. I enjoy the modeling aspect but I lack the patience to really spend the time to hone my painting skills. I like to think I do okay but reddit tends to humble me greatly. View attachment 759150
That looks great. You’ve got good brush control and eye for color, and that style looks perfect on tau. If you want a fairly low effort technique to bring more depth, look into oil washes.

1698508774721.jpeg

IMG_9746.jpeg
IMG_9543.jpeg
IMG_7824.jpeg

edit - these aren’t oil washes, just some of my stuff

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
That looks great. You’ve got good brush control and eye for color, and that style looks perfect on tau. If you want a fairly low effort technique to bring more depth, look into oil washes.

View attachment 759245

View attachment 759247View attachment 759248View attachment 759249

edit - these aren’t oil washes, just some of my stuff
Thanks, these look great! Love the basing as well. That is certainly an aspect I'd like to expand on for my models. I played with some oil washes when I was young with some Battlefleet Gothic ships. Mostly I've have stuck with Nuln oil mote recently. I tend to prefer a nice crisp line for Tau. They look less "grimdark" but I like the fresh off the kine aesthetic haha.
Message_1583895356035.jpg

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Thanks, these look great! Love the basing as well. That is certainly an aspect I'd like to expand on for my models. I played with some oil washes when I was young with some Battlefleet Gothic ships. Mostly I've have stuck with Nuln oil mote recently. I tend to prefer a nice crisp line for Tau. They look less "grimdark" but I like the fresh off the kine aesthetic haha. View attachment 759255
Thank you! Agreed. Pin washes look fantastic on tau as well, and give that animated cell type look. Come in all kinds of crazy colors too for that anime look.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Thank you! Agreed. Pin washes look fantastic on tau as well, and give that animated cell type look. Come in all kinds of crazy colors too for that anime look.
Agreed! The anime look is probably what drew me to the faction. Though I think my bro is sick of playing them. Ever been part of a crusade game? I'm starting my first tomorrow.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Agreed! The anime look is probably what drew me to the faction. Though I think my bro is sick of playing them. Ever been part of a crusade game? I'm starting my first tomorrow.
I haven’t played 10th yet, but I prefer Crusade. Makes you more attached to the units, and I prefer the narrative games. Big fan of Warcry, Kill Team, Blood Bowl, and Necromunda because of that.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I haven’t played 10th yet, but I prefer Crusade. Makes you more attached to the units, and I prefer the narrative games. Big fan of Warcry, Kill Team, Blood Bowl, and Necromunda because of that.
My buddy was saying the same. I'm excited to try it out. Apparently he used to mod events so I'm curious to see what narrative he can build.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducks DVM

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Literally started off with the armor for my (3d printed) Blood Angels Legio Honorium Warlord Titan a few days ago. This is a pain to build and paint, but also very rewarding.
Ooh a Titan eh? I've thought about doing a print for the Taunar I just don't have the space for something like that. Super cool for those who do though. I'd probably focus on the air brush for something like that.

Gives you active incentive to build models with a plan as well
Yeah. I'm thinking about getting another commander to kitbash. There is a 3d modeler, pipermakes, who has a really nice proxy too.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Went to Selanne Steak Tavern to celebrate first wedding anniversary. The ambiance wasn't exactly what I expected, but the service and food were great. It was a nice experience, but I don't know if it was worth the ~$300 price tag for a meal for two.

Curious to hear about anyone else's experience there and if there are comparable restaurants at a nearby location a little lighter on the wallet.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Went to Selanne Steak Tavern to celebrate first wedding anniversary. The ambiance wasn't exactly what I expected, but the service and food were great. It was a nice experience, but I don't know if it was worth the ~$300 price tag for a meal for two.

Curious to hear about anyone else's experience there and if there are comparable restaurants at a nearby location a little lighter on the wallet.
My wife and I went there for an anniversary probably five years ago or so. I feel like our impression was very similar. We tend to be frugal most of the time, so this was a HUGE departure for us, but we thought we would splurge for one night. The food was very good, but I don't remember it being so extraordinary as to leave an indelible impression in my mind. I remember the service being fine and I don't remember much at all about the ambience (I don't care about ambience at all).

Overall, it was good and we certainly didn't regret going, but we agreed there was no need to go back and spend that much money.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach

I have been to Selanne's many times, although not recently. I had a birthday dinner there for eight one year. First, always (and I mean always) book a table upstairs. It is much quieter up there, whereas it can be noisy downstairs, particularly near the bar. Second, it always has been quite expensive. Third, it is one of the few restaurants in Orange County where you can always count on a high quality meal.

If you want an alternative recognize that I view many restaurants in Orange County as appealing more to the "scene" at the restaurant than the quality of the food (hint, Javier's in Crystal Cove), or others that are a combination of "scene" with decent quality (such as Maestro's Ocean Club in Crystal Cove, where one time my wife appeared to be the only woman in the restaurant without breast implants). Some alternatives that my wife and I enjoy are: Butcher's House Brasserie in Costa Mesa, Bouillon in Newport Beach (casual, does not take reservations, with a decent quality house wine if you order the premium red or white), Basilic (Balboa Island, must have reservations, open only five nights a week - parking on the street only), and The Dock (Balboa Peninsula, street parking only, reservations are best, expensive). If you really want to spend money and are willing to sit through a fixed menu, Knife Pleat in South Coast Plaza is a Michelin starred restaurant. As such it may be worth the cost, once. We have not gone back since we got hit for a $50 corkage fee. I also would consider Broadway in Laguna Beach or Vaca in Costa Mesa. I think that they are a cut below the restaurants that I names above, but are quite satisfactory. They have the same owner, a semi finalist on Top Chef one year. Vaca is Spanish, so the prices are actually fairly reasonable for sharable tapas. There are other alternatives depending upon where you live and how far you are willing to drive. I generally put a limit of 20 or so minutes top on my willingness to drive to a restaurant for dinner.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Definitely thankful to have a community of die-hards like this who I can BS and talk hockey with

Reactions: duckaroosky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad