New KHL Webcast Subscriptions

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
I again praised too soon: there was repeated buffering in the 3rd period, so the experience was no longer perfect, far from it. Well, overall you can say it was acceptable for today, but the streams really need to be more reliable than this.

(PS: The game result was more than acceptable.) :D

Mainly the direction is absolutely amateurish. They often just do not repeat important moments and rather show uninteresting people in the stands or keep the projection for 10 seconds at players on the bench that are not doing anything. Or the camera is too slow.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Personally, I don't worry about any of that for now. We're still struggling with fundamental issues these days, like the stream being available at all, and without buffering/freezing/crashes.

Why is a team like Podolsk in the KHL? :amazed: Has there been a single broadcast from Podolsk this or last season? :rant: Again, for the upcoming 2 games from Podolsk -- no webcast.

And why is a top team like Astana not shown on KHL.ru? :rant: There definitely are broadcasts of those games on Kazakh TV. So why don't the KHL's paying subscribers get to see these games? Again, the same problem from last season continues this season.

eal

Sep 5, 2014
I notice laola1.tv is broadcasting a lot of matches, but they all seem to be from the Western Division, with a lot of games from the non-Russian teams particularly. Too bad they don't show games from Vladivostok.

Edit: There is one game from Khabarovsk next Monday.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
That happens with such "partial" broadcasters -- they don't really care about parity or proportionality. Before NHL Game Center became available in Europe, when we had to rely on crappy local TV channels to bring "samples" of the NHL to us, they kept showing almost nothing but Eastern Conference games. The NHL's Western Conference as if didn't exist. You got to see nothing but New York Rangers, Islanders, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia games all over and over and over again. :shakehead

God, I hate regular TV. :) It's a 20th century antiquity. I love Internet webcasts (one reason I launched this thread), where you can freely choose yourself which game from the day's menu you'd like to watch. I'm not a Podolsk or Astana fan, but I condemn KHL.ru for failing to show these teams' home games, for the 2nd straight season, despite selling "all games" webcast subscriptions, with lame excuses for failing to deliver the full product. That should be unacceptable for paying customers. :rant:

I suppose laola1.tv is great if you just want to get a taste of KHL hockey. But if you happen to be a fan of a particular KHL team, it will ultimately become maddening for you when your favorite team's crucial games (clinching a play-off spot, etc.) won't be carried. It really reminds me of those crappy TV channels from the pre-Internet era. I believe that in 2014, a serious hockey broadcaster should carry all games from a particular league or tourney.

Still, it's better than nothing, I guess, especially for free. ;)

eal

Sep 5, 2014
I am only a casual KHL fan at the moment, I am not very knowledgeable about it but I am interested to see if it is worth following or if I should just stick with NHL.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Has any Swede tried out this service?

Yes, I've bought the "all games all teams" subscription and I am pretty happy. You can always watch the more interesting games. The only bad thing is that not all games are streamed in HD, and a minus is that the games that have commentators are in Russian.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Yes, I've bought the "all games all teams" subscription and I am pretty happy. You can always watch the more interesting games. The only bad thing is that not all games are streamed in HD, and a minus is that the games that have commentators are in Russian.

Do some games have english thought? How many perhaps ~ ?

Not that I need it personally, I have Viasat which shows all Jokerit games + some other top games, its enough for me.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Are these streams - official ones of course - a kind of joke or what? This is is an utter nonsense. Not repeating number of significant & interesting moments, totally awful camera style and the quality of projection is absolutely amateurish. Even the live streams from Slovakian league (ya, if we can even call it a league) are more professional than this rubbish.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Do some games have english thought? How many perhaps ~ ?

Not that I need it personally, I have Viasat which shows all Jokerit games + some other top games, its enough for me.

From what I've seen, not a single game is with English commentary - something they really should think about. It's either Russian commentators or no commentators at all..

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Are these streams - official ones of course - a kind of joke or what? This is is an utter nonsense. Not repeating number of significant & interesting moments, totally awful camera style and the quality of projection is absolutely amateurish. Even the live streams from Slovakian league (ya, if we can even call it a league) are more professional than this rubbish.

It probably shouldn't but this made me laugh :laugh:

Just stick with TV-plans or official streaming of TV-broadcasters..

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
It probably shouldn't but this made me laugh :laugh:

Just stick with TV-plans or official streaming of TV-broadcasters..

That's the problem that actually I'm watching the official broadcast. Moreover, the quality of the screen from Yekaterinburg is really bad.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
That's the problem that actually I'm watching the official broadcast. Moreover, the quality of the screen from Yekaterinburg is really bad.

I meant something that is not khl.ru with official. They should put couple of those millions to their own broadcasting though.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga

Its Yeaktirinburg,you shouldnt be suprised they have always had horrid broadcast quality.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Cheers. Too bad the option of buying one month at the time is severely lacking(live, archive isn't my thing). Cus I'm really not that interested in the grind, just the start and the playoffs.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Right...

Though Riga in its 7 KHL years have never had an HD broadcast.

Wow, 1 season where they had HD cameras,im impressed.:sarcasm:
And it doesnt matter NOW,because now they are back to the ****** Soviet cameras of the 80`s,why cant they just keep the HD cameras in place whats the problem,i really dont understand.

And you mentioning Riga is absolutley out of the context and not even worth responding to.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Wow, 1 season where they had HD cameras,im impressed.:sarcasm:
And it doesnt matter NOW,because now they are back to the ****** Soviet cameras of the 80`s,why cant they just keep the HD cameras in place whats the problem,i really dont understand.

And you mentioning Riga is absolutley out of the context and not even worth responding to.

:laugh:

If you want something good - you gotta pay. Nothing Soviet about that. It's called capitalism. If KHL TV or Rossiya 2 will want to broadcast an Avtomobilist game, they will contract a better tv crew. If Slovak tv or Yekaterinburg tv aren't willing to pay, then no one is gonna work for free.

And Riga is one of the few cities which don't broadcast in HD. Ever. In fact, it's the only team in Bobrov division with a horrible picture quality.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
:laugh:

If you want something good - you gotta pay. Nothing Soviet about that. It's called capitalism. If KHL TV or Rossiya 2 will want to broadcast an Avtomobilist game, they will contract a better tv crew. If Slovak tv or Yekaterinburg tv aren't willing to pay, then no one is gonna work for free.

And Riga is one of the few cities which don't broadcast in HD. Ever. In fact, it's the only team in Bobrov division with a horrible picture quality.

Well thats stupid ,the HD tv crew should always be in place.The club should care about its marketing,but i guess they dont because otherwise they could just buy the HD cameras.

Also i wouldnt call our picture quality horrible :laugh: lol not even close,but yes i agree its a shame we still dont have HD cameras,we will have them sooner or later since KHL itself will start standartizing picture quality soon(you probably know the details better than me). But what can you do when our club owners are Pejorative Slurs- 2 corrupted politicians(who arent involved in latvian politics anymore, thank god) and an ex-kgb agent,rest you can figure out yourself.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
The picture quality from Yekaterinburg today wasn't great, but I'm not complaining, because at least I could watch the game without any problems on my iPad. There was no announcer at all for this game, but at least there was standard time-keeping on the screen (which sometimes was missing in annoucer-less games in previous seasons), so I was happy.

You can see that penepi is new to these subscriptions this season. ;) Wait until Slovan plays in Podolsk, Astana, etc., when you will get no picture at all, and then you can complain. We're still dealing with fundamentals in season 7 of the KHL, such as webcasting every single KHL game, no lame excuses. And the KHL is still incapable of doing this now. Compared to that, picture quality is secondary to me.

Hell, last season, KHL.ru didn't even show some of Slovan's home games (although they were shown on the Czecho-Slovak sports TV channel in the same way like other Slovan home games), crucial for the play-off fight towards the end of the regular season. So my advice to you, penepi: save your anger for later, because you will very likely need it. ;)

I agree it's dumb of the KHL not to be selling the standard 1-month live subscription. They did sell it in previous seasons, but they priced it so outrageously high (like, 2 or 3 times higher compared to the NHL's monthly subscription) that probably no one was buying it. And no wonder!

Now, instead of making the price reasonable, they cancel the monthly live subscription altogether. :facepalm: People selling those KHL webcast subscriptions seem to have zero business sense. You can feel that the KHL is primarily dependent on the oligarchs' money, and that they're not really interested in maximizing revenue from KHL fans. Their business practices are similar to those in the Soviet Union -- that is, "maximizing the revenue is unimportant", because "someone at the top" (the government, the oligarchs...) will take care of it = make compensations if we don't have enough paying customers.

Just wait until February, March, April, guys, when KHL.ru in all seriousness will continue selling season-long subscriptions at the full September price. :facepalm: If someone responsible for selling NHL subscriptions did that, they'd be fired on the spot. The NHL always lowers the season price by 50% around February or so. In Russia, though, business sense doesn't seem to matter. :shakehead

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
OK, my subscription ordeal is over now for the upcoming season. :amazed: Here is what I did:

• I selected the "all games, all teams" package and the PayPal option: should have been 3995 roubles / €83.90 according to the Russian-language and English-language subscription pages.
  • PayPal said I should pay 4236.70 roubles (which includes a PayPal fee of 241.70), which according to them is €91.35 in total, :rant: although according to Google, 4236.70 roubles should only be €87.43.
  • I rejected PayPal's roubles to euros conversion rate. I clicked on "Other conversion options" and selected "VISA/Mastercard conversion process" instead.
  • Then I made the PayPal purchase. It worked instantly, but PayPal now only states the purchase price in roubles in my PayPal account: 4236.70. No € value can be seen there.
  • I logged in to my credit card's virtual online account and discovered that €89.10 were actually charged using MasterCard's conversion process. That's €1.67 more than what Google said it should be, but it's still €2.25 less than what PayPal wanted to charge me.
  • This means I managed to save €2.10 by all these examinations and worrying tonight, which is ridiculous, but might be useful and save some time and headache for other HFBoards users. Advice: When buying KHL webcasts via PayPal, just reject PayPal's conversion rate, select VISA/Mastercard conversion process instead, and you will save some money, for a beer or something. ;)
Bottom line: instead of the €83.90 advertised on KHL's subscription webpage, I ended up paying €89.10, which is €5.20 more. The €73.40 price originally mentioned by Torsten would have been a fantastic deal; the €83.90 would have been tolerable; and the €89.10 I actually paid... well, I'm not thrilled by that price, but I can live with it.

I must emphasize all of the above again. DO NOT USE PAYPAL'S ROUBLE-TO-DOLLARS/EUROS CONVERSION if you're buying these KHL subscriptions via PayPal! Looking at my credit card statement now, I actually paid €87.26 for the season-long KHL subscription, thanks to MasterCard's much better roubles-to-dollars/euros conversion rate. This €87.26 is even less than what Google originally said it should have been (€87.43).

So, by using PayPal's conversion rate instead of MasterCard's, you can lose €4.09, just like that. Not very nice of PayPal, I must say. Net win for them, net loss for you -- for doing exactly nothing. So, make sure to switch to "Other conversion options" in your PayPal account. This will be generally useful for any other foreign-currency purchases you will make in future, not just KHL webcasts.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I wish I had known about this years ago. For all these years, I've been donating my hard-earned money to PayPal without realizing it. I often buy from the US in $$$, and it turns out every time PayPal was taking excessive money from me, for each $ to € conversion. I was too dumb to realize, until now, thanks to KHL issues. You're a genius, of course, and know about all this, but for the benefit of any other potential PayPal users who may not know about this yet, I thought a distinct warning was in place here. :p:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
The webcast of the Kazaň vs. Slovan game earlier today, whenever it was running, was excellent. The Russian announcer (of undisclosed name) was very good, as KHL.ru announcers typically are.

However, once again, there were unforgivable, amateurish SNAFUs at the beginning of the webcast. :shakehead Once again, the webcast started with showing the ending of a different game, Avtomobilist vs. Atlant. Yet there was no announcer for that game -- even no time-keeping on the screen! :amazed: So, you were watching a different game from the one you purchased from KHL.ru -- and you even had no idea how much longer that other game would run. :help:

To make matters worse, that other game went into overtime. And then it went to a shoot-out. :help: But, before the shoot-outs began, the picture suddenly switched to Kazaň for the proper game. "Hooray!" you might think. But your joy would be premature. We got to hear 3 national anthems: the full Russian anthem, the local Tatar anthem, and 50% of the Slovak anthem (they cut it by half -- very impolite, while imposing two "home team national anthems" on the visitors).

And then? The start of the game, you might think? No! They cut back to Yekaterinburg for the shootout with Atlant! Even worse: they cut back there while the shootouts were already in progress! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: You only got to see the third pair of shooters, and those following.

The shoot-out in Yekaterinburg was over soon. Again, you might be happy, saying, "So now we're going back to Kazaň for the proper game, right?"

No, we're not! :facepalm: While the game in Kazaň was already running, KHL.ru continued streaming, for several minutes, the live picture of an empty ice-rink in Yekaterinburg :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: to their paying subscribers:

KHL-ru-snafu3.jpg

Only after 3.5 minutes were played in Kazaň, did they return the webcast to Kazaň. And the announcer there was in the midst of his speech, so it was not like the broadcast was really just beginning then. It was well in regular progress from the national anthems onwards -- they just "forgot" :shakehead to return the webcast from Yekaterinburg to Kazaň as soon as it was appropriate. (The most appropriate, of course, would have been never to show the game from Yekaterinburg in a webcast clearly labeled as Ak Bars vs. Slovan.)

And to finish off this unholy mess, they posted this entire SNAFU to the game archives as well. So, even in KHL.ru archives, you can't watch the game in Kazaň from the beginning -- once again there, you get to see the game and shootout from Yekaterinburg, you get to watch the empty ice-rink from Yekaterinburg for several minutes, etc. :rant: :rant: :rant:

It appears that the webcasts are transferred to the KHL.ru archives fully automatically. That's great, because it seems that the games are available for watching in the archives as soon as they are completed in real time. (Something that NHL GameCenter is unable to deliver to their paying customers, not to mention all of their obnoxious blackouts.) On the other hand, it seems that no one is checking for any errors in the webcasts, and if there are grave errors in the webcasts, as has already happened in 2 out of 4 Slovan games this season so far, these errors are not fixed in the archives. On the contrary: they are reproduced there, as if captured for eternity. :help:

If this was NHL GameCenter, someone responsible for webcasts there would likely get fired, or at least be threatened with that option. ;) Apparently, things work a bit differently in Russia. After all, you know what the acronym "SNAFU" really stands for. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad