New jersey released

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The lighting in that photo doesn't help either. I'm sure it will look fine in person or on the tV.

We should wait until at least the draft, to get a good representation of what they look like. Hard to get a good representation from photos.

They'll even look different when worn with shoulder pads, and black pants.

Shinjuku Calling

Jun 20, 2017
I don't understand people saying "they are so similar!"
Blows my mind.

The Edge jerseys were an embarrassment. We have our identity back.

The collar could be tweaked and the C is still awkwardly placed, but come on.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Blows my mind.

They added a blue stripe at the bottom and got rid of a couple of narrow vertical stripes on the front. Yeah, overall, it's a pretty superficial change.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
They added a blue stripe at the bottom and got rid of a couple of narrow vertical stripes on the front. Yeah, overall, it's a pretty superficial change.

It's ok if you don't understand, but it is far from a superficial change.

It is the difference between a unique, quality design and a hot mess that was a league wide embarrassment.

The Avs went from having arguably the worst uniform in the game to a top 5 look. And that is a sentiment I have seen/heard from fans across the game.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Superficial changes are the difference between a good and a bad uniform. Take for instance, STL's addition of gold piping to their jerseys and pants that made it look like they were peeing down their legs. Luckily in recent years they fixed that. It took the Avs a few years longer to realize how stupid their jerseys looked.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The lack of black piping/accents is most apparent with the numbers. That's strange to see.

Now I'm REALLY curious how the away jersey is gonna look. Are they going to go with black numbers there or opt for burgundy/blue? That'll look really strange.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Blows my mind.

My first thought when I saw one of those comments was that it was sarcastic, but since more than one person has done it I assume they're serious. The explanation for sticking with the uniprons for nine years with no changes starts to form.

We'd all like the original jerseys back. I have no doubt if the Avalanche could have they would have kept them forever, but for various reasons that's not possible. The more I look at our new jerseys the more I'm underwhelmed for various reasons I'll go into but I'm glad they took this opportunity to return to a design style which is both distinctive and persistent in a way many new design elements introduced to hockey in the 90s aren't. The classic Mighty Ducks look is the only other one that manages this and they still don't want it, god knows why.

In the present day however trying to keep the classic Avalanche jersey probably isn't possible so to keep the same basic design with some tweaks is the best we could hope for and it seems we've managed it. I don't like the collar. Round collars on hockey jerseys don't work unless it's one whole colour and doesn't have a shoulder yoke or something like we do. The problem with this is one you can see on our new jersey, the way the collar meets the arm panels makes the chest look too large and this wouldn't happen with a V-neck. That's even before you get into the upside down pentagon adidas' major motif seems to be. Fortunately ours looks less out of place than the Rangers or the (titter) Wild.

When you compare our new jersey to some of the other teams who had classic designs redone or put out new looks altogether you really realise how lucky our escape was. Look at how big the arm and waist stripes of St. Louis and the Islanders are for instance. It looks cheap, it looks like a knock-off. That's something we seem to have avoided. As much as it was surely impossible to end up with a jersey worse than the one we had I wouldn't put anything past the Avalanche people involved with these decisions or the rubes the NHL has from manufacturers who dictate these things, so I'm still glad.

I know we haven't had real pictures of the jerseys yet but they've all made the colours look a bit brighter than usual. I can't tell if this is because the stripe separating them now exists and is grey, but it seems less vibrant than the original. We won't know if this is necessarily a bad thing until we see them on-ice, but I think we'll manage. And on that note I still don't see what the problem with black accessories is. If we have burgundy or blue helmets/shorts/gloves/numbers (especially numbers on the whites) we get the same problem the Illuminati thirds suffered from, it's too much. Of the other changes I'm sad the classic Avalanche font is gone. Even the one we had on the old thirds would have been worth keeping, but I'd wonder if it wasn't changed to make reading the numbers easier. I know I'm setting the bar low but multiple times this season Haynes was mixing up 18 and 28 (all the funnier since one was left handed and the other right) and 32 and 92, so making the numbers a bit straighter should change this. I'm not sure about the burgundy trim on the numbers and the arm numbers seem a bit high but I think this might look better on-ice. The apparent loss of the classic C and A font on the front though is a travesty. Get them back immediately.

The redesign is a good choice and I'm glad we have something that looks like it was supposed to be an Avalanche jersey again. I'm glad we did better than a lot of other teams, particularly Minnesota who just get worse the longer you look. This season was almost worth suffering through for this end result.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
This is just spectacular. Side by side it just gets better and better:

colorado.png

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
No doubt it's better by a country mile, but I do feel like they are a bit bland.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
No doubt it's better by a country mile, but I do feel like they are a bit bland.

I really don't get the bland comments....

The old jersey had no hem mountains and was just plain burgundy the whole way. The old jersey had no sleeve stripes.

This jersey is far from bland.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I will say that I do like the burgundy outline to the numbers on the arms, kind of makes them pop.

I'm interested to see how these look with the Captain letters on them, because from the one on NHLshop.com, it definitely has the appearance of the letters being too close to the primary logo (and a solution would've been to just shrink that primary logo a tad, to give a bit more room there).

I'm real curious to see the white one.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
This is just spectacular. Side by side it just gets better and better:

colorado.png

I really don't get it. These jerseys look so similar that I'd buy either one as a fan and be happy.

I never once thought St. Louis' jerseys looked like they were peeing down their leg.

Surely someone here can articulate how two silver lines and a slightly different shade of blue made our jerseys such a travesty for the last decade

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I really don't get it. These jerseys look so similar that I'd buy either one as a fan and be happy.

I never once thought St. Louis' jerseys looked like they were peeing down their leg.

Surely someone here can articulate how two silver lines and a slightly different shade of blue made our jerseys such a travesty for the last decade

The white lines down the front make it look like a person is wearing a jersey, and also wearing an apron (with the "A") on top of the jersey.

smiling-man-wearing-green-apron-picture-id157568641

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver

Lets see. The team is named the Avalanche and had no unique design elements in the old sweater. Now they have a mountain range for their hemstripe. Huge improvement. That same mountain theme is carried over to the arms. Instead of the generic template of straight arms, they have a unique abstract mountain design.

Instead of having piping that goes to nowhere while intersecting the C and A captain patches, this jersey now has proper sleeve striping to separate the blue and red. Blue and red are very close together and can easily bleed into one another. The gray stripe acts as a border so that bleed can not happen.

The old reebok jersey was a template that had no unique features. Any team in the league could have used that jersey. This new jersey is 100% tailored to the Avalanche.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Those aren't bland, these were bland.

7313222-590x392.jpg

I also think SJ's current look is bland compared to the jerseys they sported throughout the '90s and early '00s. If one can call a teal jersey "bland" that is.

That was my one fear--the Avs just sorta throw up their hands and go with a standard-looking jersey--stripes wrapping around the sleeves and waist, logo on the front and that's it. Thankfully they put the effort in and it looks fantastic.

I will say the new collars will take some getting used to though. Anyone have thoughts on those new lace-up double collars I've seen on some other sweaters?

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Not sure how those are bland either, if anything I think we are one of the few teams that has a unique design template in comparison to a lot of teams with their vertical stripes everywhere.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Our stripes should start at the top-front of the left shoulder, then swirl around the back, and then re-emerge around the front on the bottom-right.
Like the way the puck moves around the A in the logo.

OK, maybe not...

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

reebok-hockey-jersey-edge-replica-nsh.jpg

Florida-Panthers-Premier-Home-Jersey.jpg

hedmrbkrh_f1200.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad