Speculation: New Jersey Offseason VIII - Summer Heat Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Gelinas gone, Larsson gone (although for huge asset)..... Merrill did not pan out like we hoped...

Severson is our only hope among our once so promising D....

Things change pretty quickly eh?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Gelinas gone, Larsson gone (although for huge asset)..... Merrill did not pan out like we hoped...

I wouldn't conclude Merrill didn't pan out as we hoped just yet. Well, I guess it depends on the player you hoped he'd turn into. Because I think it's completely reasonable to assume he still becomes a good 2nd pairing guy for us, which is what he always has projected to be as far as I'm concerned. And Santini is also left, there's still time before he crushes our dreams :P

I was thinking of this earlier, about how fast things change. It seems like, for the most part, everyone is content with the forwards we have going into the season. I'm thrilled to see what they can do. But suddenly defense is our main concern, after years of touting it as the next big thing there are all these question marks surrounding it now. I'm hopeful those question marks will be for naught but time will tell.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh

I remember how confident we were with Severson, Larsson, Gelinas, Merrill, Helgeson, Urbom, Burlon and even Scarlett and this was just 3-4 years ago.

Larsson panned out for what he brought back. He never reached his "Lidstrom" potential but his skating was never as good so that was a huge longshot.

This was our top prospect list in 2012: http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638986
Lol.

However, going from Matteau and Boucher as our top prospects for forwards to having Zacha, Quenneville, Wood, McLeod, Blandisi, Speers, and Bastian is an astronomical improvement. I'd argue they all have higher potential than Matteau ever did.

Our defense has really flopped with some of those guys though. Urbom really disappointed. But even then Santini is a huge prospect for us. He's won a ton of "awards", winning top dman at U18(I think), top defensive defenseman in hockey east and all sorts of other accolades. Lots of people in hockey think he's the real deal. Jacobs is also very underrated. He was on the all-freshman team at Michigan State and played very well the second half of the year in the OHL this year.

Overall our Santini+Severson+Jacobs>other defense from ~2012. Our prospect pool as improved tenfold. We just need more defense, particularly the left side.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
What happened to our promising defense of the future proves that you can't just store up magic beans for the future; you have to make concrete improvements in the present while also preparing and not sacrificing the future. Can't get too starry eyed about the future and forget that it starts in the now. Why I'm happy that we are actually focusing on making the playoffs, not just accumulating high draft picks. That I believe is the right direction for this franchise. Onward and upward. Let's get out of the league basement, please.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What happened to our promising defense of the future proves that you can't just store up magic beans for the future; you have to make concrete improvements in the present while also preparing and not sacrificing the future. Can't get too starry eyed about the future and forget that it starts in the now. Why I'm happy that we are actually focusing on making the playoffs, not just accumulating high draft picks. That I believe is the right direction for this franchise. Onward and upward. Let's get out of the league basement, please.

this is my issue when some posters always say "well, we shouldnt sign PLAYER X because we have young guys in the system"

not EVERY player is going to become a good player let alone an NHL regular.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
this is my issue when some posters always say "well, we shouldnt sign PLAYER X because we have young guys in the system"

Same thing about people not wanting to trade the 2017 1st. If you can get a youngish top 4 d man (and locked up) then peace out hypothetical prospect that doesn't exist yet.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ

I'll counter with Santini, Jacobs, Mozik, and Auvitu. We're not completely devoid of promising D.

All are possible break outs and at least two of them Id say are "very" promising. It's the same position we were in when we were waiting for Gelinas, Merrill, and Severson to debut. The one difference there is we already had Larsson and Greene was a few years younger. Hopefully Severson can regain what he was his rookie season and one of the young guys has a relative impact.

It would be nice if we went out and got another NHL-ready guy for the start of this season, but if the team can stay above water we can make a bigger move at the trade deadline. This year is going to be very different with the expansion draft as teams will have to make decisions on protecting people, so it should open the trade doors a lot wider than its been in past years.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
with that being said, I am fairly confident that Santini will be a good NHL player

he is the "new NHL" style of shutdown DMan

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
Also goes to show why you shouldn't draft for organizational needs versus BPA. An area you're strong in one year may be one you're not so well off in the next, where having good players at any position is always a boon via the trade market or slotting into roster spots.

That said I'm one of the people happy with the Shero era of drafting so far, so I have no complaints.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh

Exactly. A strong team is built from both. Pittsburgh is actually a great example of this. Shero built a lot of that team's core and guys like Sheary filled in where necessary but when JR brought in Kessel and Bonino that's when it really took off even though they were clamoring for young guys to step in.

LA did it with Jeff Carter and Mike Richards and trading away Brayden Schenn who was the #1 prospect in the world at that point. Schenn is a good player but I doubt LA would rather have him than their two cups.

San Jose brought in Joel Ward, Polak, Martin, etc. but let guys like Hertl and Donskoi take place as well.

Just a few examples of when people say "let the young guys play" it's not always the best move. Developing alongside with trades and signings is a far better strategy. If you don't you end up like the Oilers.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Same thing about people not wanting to trade the 2017 1st. If you can get a youngish top 4 d man (and locked up) then peace out hypothetical prospect that doesn't exist yet.

This is easier said than done. Look at the cost. We just traded one.

A first round pick may not be enough, espc with guys like Barrie and Shattenkirk. Fowler I think can be had for less, but I don't think Anaheim wants futures for him. Shattenkirk needs a new contract so that limits his landing spots, but the competition will be enormous and I dont think the Devils have the assets to compete with teams that have more expendable assets espc since St. Louis is in "win now" mode. Barrie is also cost controlled, so that drives his value up.

The first round pick cannot be traded for anything but a sure thing. Im for it if we're in a solid playoff positioning at the deadline. I would not advocate it before we have a better idea of where we could be picking. A bottom 15 pick? Sure, thats a lot easier to stomach. A lottery pick, much much less so. Its not a bad thing to wait for the deadline. This year is going to be an anomaly with teams not being able to protect good players and wanting something back.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Exactly. A strong team is built from both. Pittsburgh is actually a great example of this. Shero built a lot of that team's core and guys like Sheary filled in where necessary but when JR brought in Kessel and Bonino that's when it really took off even though they were clamoring for young guys to step in.

Yes, balance is the key to that. You can't automatically pen in prospects but you can't block them forever either, or just use them to trade for rental players. That's how you wind up with three years ago and having the oldest, most boring team in the league.

And it's also a matter of allocating resources under the cap. You don't sign people just cause you can, there has to be some sort of plan.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
3 seasons, 160 games in and Merrill didn't pan out as expected? Please go back to Larsson's career at a similar point and tell me he was "panning out as expected".

And our promising defense is why we could make the Larsson trade...1 RHD out the the door and 2 more on deck in Santini and Jacobs...you might want to even put Mozik in there too. And we still keep the best one in Severson.

It pretty much worked exactly the way it was supposed to.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
We all knew we would have to move out a Dman for a forward and the deal worked out better then we even realized i think.

I believe Merrill will improve a lot and be a solid NHL Dman people writing him off after 160 games is silly. Im not trying to say he will become Adam Larrson but there were plenty of people calling for us to move him at that point also. Dman take longer to develop and the prime is a little older then forwards. Merrill has plenty of time.

As for Shero, if he is looking to a Dman on the market i can almost promise you its a puck moving PP type Dman. So anyone that isnt that isnt likely to be traded for. Clearly thats an area of need for the Devils with no real help on the way.

Sure guys like Severson or Greene maybe even Moore can run a PP but we dont have a true 100% offensive Dman and thats something that we will need to address at some point.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
3 season, 160 games in and Merrill didn't pan out as expected? Please go back to Larsson's career at a similar point and tell me he was "panning out as expected".

And our promising defense is why we could make the Larsson trade...1 RHD out the the door and 2 more on deck in Santini and Jacobs...you might want to even put Mozik in there too. And we still keep the best one in Severson.

It pretty much work exactly the way it was supposed to.

My dad mentioned the start of Andy Greene's career in comparison yesterday and said people have to "take a ****** chill pill". He's right though, Greene had a very lackluster start and wasn't an NHL regular until 27 even though he was a UFA.

Our RD depth is very good. I'm bummed because I liked Lars personally and it was an emotional attachment but I think you're right. Santini can be what Larsson's role was this year(maybe not now obviously but next year or 2 years down the line). He has the tools to be that and is a better skater. He won't be a #1D because of offense but I think his role will be eerily similar to what Larsson was becoming. Severson is a wildcard to me. I don't know how good he will be defensively or offensively. He did lead our defense in points in his second season though.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Exactly, and I think that it's good to have young players be able to push out the old ones as a natural growing process. I also feel there is a benefit to having a variety of ages on a hockey team. A focus on the present so long as it doesn't completely pillage the future is a good view in my opinion.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I told myself I wouldn't pay attention to the Vesey stuff but the Hall trade changed things. He said he still intends to explore free agency and is evaluating rosters and how he would fit in and stuff. Rumor is he wants to stay relatively close to the northeast. Buffalo is a very attractive option and are the favorites to sign him. The Rangers and Bruins are both big names in big markets but both teams are arguably trending downward. Penguins and Flyers are full. Am I crazy for thinking we could be a dark horse in August? Could move Cammy to RW1 and slot Vesey with Zajac and Palms. Still not getting my hopes up but the Hall trade opened eyes around the league.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Sure guys like Severson or Greene maybe even Moore can run a PP but we dont have a true 100% offensive Dman and thats something that we will need to address at some point.

Agreed and that may be what we have to address with the top four LHD we're currently not seeing on our roster. I don't think Moore and Merrill will both be in the lineup again in 2017, one way or another.

They're a top six center, top six RW and top four offensive LHD away from really being set and raring to go for the next few years, but how you wind up with those players is anyone's guess. Zacha could be the top six center, maybe even Quenneville though that's a stretch. One or two of these spots you'll probably also have to fill with a trade eventually at the very least, or a FA signing next year.

Taking advantage of our cap space perhaps starting this summer and roster space next summer when teams are scrambling to fill out their protected list is also going to be key.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Agreed and that may be what we have to address with the top four LHD we're currently not seeing on our roster. I don't think Moore and Merrill will both be in the lineup again in 2017, one way or another.

They're a top six center, top six RW and top four offensive LHD away from really being set and raring to go for the next few years, but how you wind up with those players is anyone's guess. Zacha could be the top six center, maybe even Quenneville though that's a stretch. One or two of these spots you'll probably also have to fill with a trade eventually at the very least, or a FA signing next year.

Taking advantage of our cap space perhaps starting this summer and roster space next summer when teams are scrambling to fill out their protected list is also going to be key.

Depending on how you fall on McLeod he could be a top 6 center. Him and Hall would be a heck of duo with their speed. I think he can be a low-end 1C/high-end 2C,personally. I love his game. Zacha IMO will be shifted to wing. His game is much better suited there. I think can be a 30-30 guy because he's just smart and can make plays and as a wicked shot. Him and Henrique together could be good. Henrique needs a playmaking wing and that can be Zacha.

I don't know what Quenneville will top out as but he can score and has skill. Him and Henrique could be interchangeable at one point. McLeod-Henrique-Quenneville doesn't leave a spot for Zajac unless he's on the 4th line. I have to think Henrique might be shifted to wing IF JQ and McLeod pan out. Our real problem is we don't really have player with true #1C upside.

The top 6 RW could be Bennett if he's healthy. Personally, I'd bet against it but he has the skill to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if Cammalleri or Boucher is shifted there too. It just makes sense if Bennett doesn't work. Speers, Wood, Bastian all have a shot at the middle 6 RW spots but Speers is the only one I can see being a 2RW. I think trade or signing is more likely.

The defense is where our issue really lies. Our best LHD in the system is Colton White. He's a strong skater and excellent defensive defense man but doesn't really have a good offensive game. I think we're going to trade for an offensive D next summer. I feel good about our right side though. I think Sevs is already a top 4 guy and have confidence in Santini.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Assuming Severson takes a step forward (playing with Greene should help) i think the defence should be alright. Amazing? No, but solid. Lovejoy is an underrated pickup, i think he'll do well for us.

I'm more concerned about RW. Bennett is unreliable and DSP isn't a top 6 player. I'd like to see us take a punt on Kris Versteeg, he's only 30 and has the speed and skill to be a decent complimentary piece in the top 6.

Definitely not a guy you want as a marquee forward, but having watched him so much with the Hawks, he's quite versatile and does well in situations where he can capitalize on playing with linemates who drive the play and create opportunities.

In my opinion he's a better player than Boedker. Either Versteeg or Hudler would be solid acquisitions, i'd happily give either of them a two year deal so we can expose them in the expansion draft.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Maybe we give Wis, Jackman or M. Greene a 1 year deal so we dont have to rely on Santini this whole year. Also Hudler or Versteeg on a 1-2 year deal would be welcomed, and we could plug one of them in the top 6.

That would be a good and cheap way to finish the offseason.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Assuming Severson takes a step forward (playing with Greene should help) i think the defence should be alright. Amazing? No, but solid. Lovejoy is an underrated pickup, i think he'll do well for us.

I'm more concerned about RW. Bennett is unreliable and DSP isn't a top 6 player. I'd like to see us take a punt on Kris Versteeg, he's only 30 and has the speed and skill to be a decent complimentary piece in the top 6.

Definitely not a guy you want as a marquee forward, but having watched him so much with the Hawks, he's quite versatile and does well in situations where he can capitalize on playing with linemates who drive the play and create opportunities.

In my opinion he's a better player than Boedker. Either Versteeg or Hudler would be solid acquisitions, i'd happily give either of them a two year deal so we can expose them in the expansion draft.

Are we sure of this? He played well in the top 6 every time he was used there last season, including his time in MTL. I definitely wouldn't mind bringing in Hudler as insurance, but maybe DSP as the garbage man with Hall-Henrique could work.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Are we sure of this? He played well in the top 6 every time he was used there last season, including his time in MTL. I definitely wouldn't mind bringing in Hudler as insurance, but maybe DSP as the garbage man with Hall-Henrique could work.

This is true. I just don't think DSP is the IDEAL top 6 RW. I mean he averaged like 12 minutes per game and still managed 25 pts for the whole season. When he played in the top 6 here he had 13 pts in 18 games with 8 goals. Obviously he's not going to continue that pace(36 goals!) but he can still be productive. I'm not really sure where he's going to fit. He gets to the dirty areas and finishes a lot of plays. He played 4th line minutes in Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad