Speculation: New Jersey Offseason VIII - Summer Heat Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Our depth is better than last year, but we got 30 goals out of both Henrique and Palmieri and Cammalleri had his best PPG average since like 2010. I'm not sure we can count on all three repeating those performances. The bottom 6 should be better (it can't really be any worse) but I still think we'll be in the bottom 1/3 of the league in offense. I think we'll definitely be better, but I'm not sure how much better.

Rico's overall production should at worst remain even though. His overall point totals have been very consistent. Camm's PPG will go down, but again he should score the same if not more by simply playing more games

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
He seems like such a good guy but I think it's all about him being a former 1st rounder. If he was drafted in the 4th round I have confidence that 99% of the posters on here would just question why he's even in the lineup. Guy just can't stay healthy or produce at even strength.

Yep, JJ is a good guy, but honestly most of our useless fourth liners were good guys. Definitely doesn't mean I will defend them as hockey players or vital cogs, but JJ will always have his advocates around here.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Boucher's improvements last year make me unconcerned. DSP won't be asked to do much. He's an improvement over everyone though. Fiddler>Gionta, Tootoo, Kennedy. 19 year old Zacha is still better than anyone in our bottom 6 last year.

I do agree on the goals against though. I don't believe our offense is going to be anywhere near as bad as people think. Cammalleri and Elias missing all that time really hurt. The issue was depth scoring not our top 6. Bringing in Hall changes the whole dynamic and makes the team a lot deeper.

I can't agree with the injury issue though. We were lucky Larsson and Greene played 82 you're right. But Cammalleri was the best offensive player on this team. He was on pace for like 75 points. That's a big injury

If we miss the playoffs it will be on our defense. Which brings the whole the thing full circle for me. If we bring in a top 4 dman with the 1st rounder we make the playoffs rather easily IMO. I can't justify not making moves because I'm worried about injuries.

I want the Devils to compete for a Stanley Cup, not just get back to the playoffs.

Acquiring Taylor Hall is a huge step in that direction. Totally unexpected. I'd been saying here two weeks ago, the Devils need to stockpile assets so when a dumb team decides it doesn't like its star player, the Devils can pounce. Well, that happened overnight and all it took was one guy from our side - an important guy, but still just one, not the package I would expect it would take. But they'll need more than one star-level player, and maybe Zacha's that guy, or maybe some other player in our system is that guy (or more than one!) - Shero and company still cannot count on that. They need to stockpile assets for the day that, for example, Sakic and company decide that Nathan MacKinnon just isn't good enough. Keeping all their 1st round picks is a big step towards doing that.

Depth-wise in the system, I like where the Devils are at with goaltending. I like where they are at with forwards - they drafted a lot of centers this year, they drafted 3 right-handed shooters with their top 3 picks, a lot of their guys in the system had good seasons - they may not have a star, but there's got to be some good NHLers in there. I hate where they're at with defensemen - they have almost none who aren't on the cusp of the NHL, and their best LHD turns 34 this year. They desperately need more defense in the system. That's where keeping the picks comes in. Trading that pick away in a move for Cam Fowler, a guy one year away from UFA and who by the way is really not all that good - is a step backwards from a Stanley Cup. The Devils need to keep pressing and trying to hit big on the unknown rather than making perceived equal-value deals for players whose abilities are easy to see.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I want the Devils to compete for a Stanley Cup, not just get back to the playoffs.

Acquiring Taylor Hall is a huge step in that direction. Totally unexpected. I'd been saying here two weeks ago, the Devils need to stockpile assets so when a dumb team decides it doesn't like its star player, the Devils can pounce. Well, that happened overnight and all it took was one guy from our side - an important guy, but still just one, not the package I would expect it would take. But they'll need more than one star-level player, and maybe Zacha's that guy, or maybe some other player in our system is that guy (or more than one!) - Shero and company still cannot count on that. They need to stockpile assets for the day that, for example, Sakic and company decide that Nathan MacKinnon just isn't good enough. Keeping all their 1st round picks is a big step towards doing that.

Depth-wise in the system, I like where the Devils are at with goaltending. I like where they are at with forwards - they drafted a lot of centers this year, they drafted 3 right-handed shooters with their top 3 picks, a lot of their guys in the system had good seasons - they may not have a star, but there's got to be some good NHLers in there. I hate where they're at with defensemen - they have almost none who aren't on the cusp of the NHL, and their best LHD turns 34 this year. They desperately need more defense in the system. That's where keeping the picks comes in. Trading that pick away in a move for Cam Fowler, a guy one year away from UFA and who by the way is really not all that good - is a step backwards from a Stanley Cup. The Devils need to keep pressing and trying to hit big on the unknown rather than making perceived equal-value deals for players whose abilities are easy to see.

I agree with this. Amazingly, our D is now our weakest area. I'm hoping for some cap strapped teams having to make tough choices to help us out there. Maybe the LA Kings. I remember seeing some rumors we were talking to them around the draft.

And I definitely don't think we should be trading next year's first under almost any circumstance. Far too risky.

I think we're a bubble team next year. How well Zacha does is a big X-Factor. If he plays at all like he did in that Toronto game I think we'll have a pretty good shot.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I'm all for trading the first this year. Depending on the return. If you can land a guy like Shattenkirk, it makes them a genuine threat in the East.

We like to go on about Schneider's milage or lack there of, but the reality is that he is now on the wrong side of 30.

With the acquisition of Hall and some really solid drafting, they should absolutely be looking at trade options.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
All the crazy talk on the main boards made me post this in one of those threads. :)

HF Idiots Guide to the Devils

1.) Its cool to rag on the Devils no matter what their situation is, winning cups or bottom feeder. Always rag.

2.) Always call them an old team, no matter if they are indeed the oldest, or youngest.

3.) Forever have no offense. No matter what always talk about the Devils lack of scoring. Never and I mean never mention their dominant years when they were top 5 in goal scoring. Those did not exist.

4.) Always call them boring, ignore those high octane teams that won cups or the recent 2012 team which was an extremely entertaining squad. Stop, that never happened. Always boring, especially when YOUR team is the one doing nothing on the ice, who has only 18 shots and are losing 3-0 to NJ that night. Oh those boring Devils, why can't they let us score goals so it would be exciting for me?

5.) Trap, duh. Pretend the other 29 teams do not play some sort of neutral zone suppression. Only New Jersey has players covering the neutral zone.

6.) No fans brah. Always bring up attendance, even though they are never close to the basement of attendance.

7.) When all else fails mention how horrible and ugly the state of New Jersey is. Ignore the beautiful beaches, mountains, forest, and open rural areas and focus on the turnpike near NYC or Philly, make people believe thats what the entire state looks like. What player would want to play there. Am I right!?

8.) Never, and I mean NEVER let these narratives die off.

Edit: I should have added this.

*See Rangers and Flyers fans for assistance

Last edited:

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Kinda sucks we couldn't keep Schlemko. Ray held on to him on deadline day because he wanted him back. He did offer him a contract. Kind of a dick move by Schlemko & his agent imo. The Devils gave him a great opportunity and he was a good fit here.

I also would've liked to see Stempniak return. I thought it was a real strong possibility. He was a perfect player for our system and our team.

And I'm most surprised that Lorito didn't return. I think he's going to be a really good player in the NHL. There's a reason a team like Detroit made him one of the first signings yesterday. Sucks to lose him.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Kinda sucks we couldn't keep Schlemko. Ray held on to him on deadline day because he wanted him back. He did offer him a contract. Kind of a dick move by Schlemko & his agent imo. The Devils gave him a great opportunity and he was a good fit here.

I also would've liked to see Stempniak return. I thought it was a real strong possibility. He was a perfect player for our system and our team.

And I'm most surprised that Lorito didn't return. I think he's going to be a really good player in the NHL. There's a reason a team like Detroit made him one of the first signings yesterday. Sucks to lose him.

It would have been nice to see Lorito get a legit chance here in NJ.
Very good hands and skill level.
Smart player too.

Agree on Stemp but it seems like we choose DSP over him which could be wise in time.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
There still seems to be a lot of player movement out there that could happen. Lots of names that were talked about before the draft and those teams looking to change their cap situation and also prep for the impending expansion draft.

Still with us being under the cap floor (we will be a few million over after we sign our last RFAas) I wonder if there is s deal out there to get us a need while taking a player off a desperate teams hands.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
We've undoubtedly improved our bottom 6 and our top 6. Our defense has taken a step back tentatively though. If Severson gets back to form or improves, which is likely if paired with Greene, and Lovejoy just does well enough then our D will be ok. This team is undoubtedly better than last year though and I think we'll compete for a playoff spot. I also don't think Shero is done and if he's shown us anything so far it's that he is very capable of making shrewd moves that pay off for us both short and long term. I trust in Shero and I firmly believe we'll be a very entertaining team to watch next season and one that competes hard for a playoff spot.

lucscaps

Jun 20, 2005
guelph, ont
I think with schlemko it was a combo of Ray going with the guy he knows and also not wanting that 4th year.

Also, I can't find the info handily but where did we sign the following AHL players out of?

Carter Camper
Karl Stollery
Andrew MacWilliams

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
You don't think the Sabres are going to be clearly better?

Buffalo will be better but not because of Okposo (who is honestly just a replacement for Evander Kane, a guy surely on his way out). They'll be better because of the natural development of their young talent.

Goaltending is still holding them back, and honestly I'm not a fan of Bylsma. Their defense is still very underwhelming. They might improve a few points but I don't see them in the playoffs, not with the trashy depth they have (guys like Moulson, Gionta, and Ennis making huge bucks to waste away doing nothing on the 3rd line).

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Buffalo will be better but not because of Okposo (who is honestly just a replacement for Evander Kane, a guy surely on his way out). They'll be better because of the natural development of their young talent.

Goaltending is still holding them back, and honestly I'm not a fan of Bylsma. Their defense is still very underwhelming. They might improve a few points but I don't see them in the playoffs, not with the trashy depth they have (guys like Moulson, Gionta, and Ennis making huge bucks to waste away doing nothing on the 3rd line).

Speaking of Kane, would anyone be opposed to us taking a shot on him? Yes, he's got troubles but he'd be dirt cheap and if he stinks up the joint we make him go away. Low risk/high reward play IMO.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Speaking of Kane, would anyone be opposed to us taking a shot on him? Yes, he's got troubles but he'd be dirt cheap and if he stinks up the joint we make him go away. Low risk/high reward play IMO.

Doesnt he have some legal troubles? Im not sure i would wanna get into that until after those were cleared up.

I think i would consider it if he is bought out and if he can be signed to a cheap 1 year deal. I wouldnt take him on his current deal.

I mean 1 thing is for sure the kid can FLY.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Nope. Can't stand these entitled immature athletes in any sport. 1 chance and that's it.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Who do you guys think is more valuable Blandisi or Boucher?? One of them is probably the 3rd line LW and the other could be traded for a Top 4.

Thats tough because they are totally different players.

Boucher is more of a finisher with less speed. While Blandisi is a playmaker with a bit more speed and PK ability. They both have their fair share of flaws in their games.

Frankly i do not believe we are in a position to move any forward prospects. People want to rush out and get a Dman but Im not sure its needed. Our best defender is Cory and thats not going to change this year.

I know people are worried about how the D looks but i think with Lovejoy anchoring the 2nd pairing and Greene on the first the young kids will so a lot of improvement.

I also think Santini is going to really surprise a bunch of people. This is a kid thats super smart and focuses on D. Making the jump from college is much easier then from Juniors.

Unless its a no-brainier deal i dont want to move any forwards. So neither stand pat.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I doubt Shero stands pat unless the market is just too expensive and he decides to roll the dice.

Think back to the late 2000's and the defenses the Devils rolled out then, it hurt them badly. Depending on Lovejoy to be the #3 dman is asking for a disaster. Tossing a rookie in to play over 20 is the same. Doing both is not something I want from a team that wants to make the playoffs.

Lots of time and lots of available dmen. Let's see what shero does this summer.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Who do you guys think is more valuable Blandisi or Boucher?? One of them is probably the 3rd line LW and the other could be traded for a Top 4.

Interesting question. But I will say it doesn't have to be one or the other. Blandisi needs lots of work and is still waiver exempt. So the two aren't really in the same boat.

Blandisi has more raw skill but it is so rough and untamed that I question if it ever will be? His IQ seems a bit on low side as well.

At this point I think Boucher is a much better product who has put in the required time to make himself a more viable NHL player. I think Blandisi needs to do this also.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think Blandisi is more talented than Boucher. He has major issues in his game (bad balance, poor defense, diving), but he was one of if not our most creative offensive player last season. If he plays with actual talent, I could see him being a 30-40 assist guy, but never a great goal scorer. I don't see Boucher ever being more than a decent scorer on a 3rd line. If he's asked to do anything more than that, I don't think we're going anywhere. He's just not fast enough.

And yeah I don't think Shero is done with the D. Either via trade or FA, he'll bring in someone.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yep, what's the old saying? When time is on your side you use it? :)

Keep in mind Schlemko was signed in August and Stemp was given a PTO, and they were two of our most valueable pickups last year. The most important pickups aren't always on the first day of FA.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Boucher>>Blandisi. Blandisi has skill and you see it on display all the time but he has so many flaws in his game.

Boucher reminds me of Jeff Skinner a lot without the mush brain. I see no reason he can't end up as a 25-30 goal scorer. He has the talent and is rapidly improving. His skating is a lot better.

Blandisi on the other hand probably has higher overall potential. He's the most creative player on the team but he just appears to have so many issues that it interferes with his game. He's a project still and has a year of being a pro.

I'd rather deal Blandisi in a heartbeat because I think Boucher has top 6 sniper potential and is more likely to reach it. He's just working on finding space and he's still only played 73 games in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00