GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Vancouver Canucks - 7pm

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
The wraparound sucked, but shots were like 31-6 at one point before Demko started leaking, which got us back into the game.

That 31-6 was when the score was either at 3-0 or maybe 3-1 after our first goal.
It did but the 5 guys on the ice were doing nothing....I think he overplayed the shot hoping time would run out couldn't get back over to other side in time.....

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Hate to knock Toffoli but he seriously has zero wheels when he gets a breakaway which was a squandered opportunity last night. He had the lead when the puck hit his tape but they closed in immediately.

Like Shanahan, great addition for special teams but awful generation of speed, especially while coasting or even worse a standstill position.
think we could trade him for someone a little younger and faster who can also play the PK? :sarcasm:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Luke's not without his faults. For an NTDP alum, U of M and top 5 draft pick, his lack of defensive zone awareness is head scrathing. The rink turns, the drive byes, the poke checks and one handed swipes as well as getting completely lost on net front coverage needs a lot of improvement. Sometimes his game mirrors Sunday night mens league at Floyd Hall.
He has remarkably good defensive impacts considering his age and play style. Well ahead of where most would’ve seen him a few years ago.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He has remarkably good defensive impacts considering his age and play style. Well ahead of where most would’ve seen him a few years ago.
Get's easy minutes though. (as does Miller who also has great numbers)

That said I think his D is better then expected. Maybe mostly because he can, and does, get back to negate odd men rushes, and he makes stick plays. Also think he'll improve as he learns the "when's and where's" as well as getting stronger.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
These jerseys are becoming a f***in jinx like the Sharks black third jersey they used to wear in the playoffs for a few years.

They said ''That's enough of that'' and discontinued them permanently for playoff games after the 2014 reverse sweep disaster.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Kind of funny how they’re so secretive about injuries, but he came right out and said Jonas is not okay and he broke his foot.

I think the only time they’re ever up front about injuries is when they’re really long term. Like when they announced Dougie was having surgery only days after he last played. Last year they did give us the Palat update and timeline pretty quickly after he got hurt and left the lineup. Same with the Jack injuries back in 2021-2022.

A broken foot is also a very clear cut injury, sometimes these things are more complicated.

Remember when people thought the team was keeping us in the dark about Hall’s knee in 2018?

They weren’t, doctors couldn’t figure out why Hall’s knee was still bothering him while he was rehabbing it. Nothing was coming up on MRIs. They were in the dark too.

After a while, when it didn’t get better, they decided to have surgery to clean it out.

Not to say the team isn't weird about releasing injury information, but everyone assumes doctors know exactly what’s wrong and have a clear recovery timetable when they often don’t.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It did but the 5 guys on the ice were doing nothing....I think he overplayed the shot hoping time would run out couldn't get back over to other side in time.....

Also a skater could have done something at some point instead of being completely f***ing useless.

It’s not like he caught them all going the other way, Bahl was there but he was just standing around like an idiot.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
A broken foot is also a very clear cut injury, sometimes these things are more complicated.

Remember when people thought the team was keeping us in the dark about Hall’s knee in 2018?

They weren’t, doctors couldn’t figure out why Hall’s knee was still bothering him while he was rehabbing it. Nothing was coming up on MRIs. They were in the dark too.

After a while, when it didn’t get better, they decided to have surgery to clean it out.

Not to say the team isn't weird about releasing injury information, but everyone assumes doctors know exactly what’s wrong and have a clear recovery timetable when they often don’t.
The NHL just isn’t transparent. I’m sure sometimes you get some difficult to diagnose stuff like you mentioned, but they mostly just don’t tell us what they know. I knew the exact type of injury TJ Watt had against Baltimore within hours of it happening and then the exact grade of the sprain within a day. The NHL just chooses to be the way they are. I don’t need that level of detail but the degree to which they leave fans in the dark is just stupid.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The NHL just isn’t transparent. I’m sure sometimes you get some difficult to diagnose stuff like you mentioned, but they mostly just don’t tell us what they know. I knew the exact type of injury TJ Watt had against Baltimore within hours of it happening and then the exact grade of the sprain within a day. The NHL just chooses to be the way they are. I don’t need that level of detail but the degree to which they leave fans in the dark is just stupid.

The NFL is different, they have more stringent league wide rules about reporting injures.

The in-game reporting is a TV thing.

IMG_2359.jpeg

Not saying the NHL way isn’t stupid but the NHL has to specifically mandate how and when injuries should be reported, with punishments for not doing it, if anything will change.

Individual teams will never change.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Also a skater could have done something at some point instead of being completely f***ing useless.

It’s not like he caught them all going the other way, Bahl was there but he was just standing around like an idiot.

How do you know he wasn’t standing around like a smart person deep in thought?

sirom

May 17, 2010
Tierney is literally one of the worst players in the NHL.

See in a while Daws.

It'll probably be in Sunrise next Saturday after Vitek does the Vitek in Tampa.
Based on. what give me the hockey evidence!!!

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Luke's not without his faults. For an NTDP alum, U of M and top 5 draft pick, his lack of defensive zone awareness is head scrathing. The rink turns, the drive byes, the poke checks and one handed swipes as well as getting completely lost on net front coverage needs a lot of improvement. Sometimes his game mirrors Sunday night mens league at Floyd Hall.
he's a hotshot soon-to-be superstar offensive defenseman who turned 20 three months ago. None of that sounds remotely unexpected to me.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Yep. He's also playing big minutes, unsheltered, first year in the league, with really often third pairing plugs. Niedermayer looked worse his rookie year, FYI.

The team played 10 minutes in front of the goalie at most and we are going to blame the goalie....I agree the wrap around was a killer but the guys on the ice allowed him to skate right by them and through them....
I'm not just blaming Daws. I'm just saying for the record that he's not any better than the other goalies we are torching nightly.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
What D prospects are on the table for you?
Tough one. I still think this is a learning year, so I'd hate to send anything of real value. But the reality is that we are figuring Luke, Nemec, Dougie, Marino to be around long term, and Siegs as well, I guess.

I'd have no problems shipping Bahl. Id really like to keep Casey. After that I think it's hard to say unless you saw what deal is on the table.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad