GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Vancouver Canucks - 7pm

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
1704605355098.jpeg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Demko stunk in this game worse than Daws did. Which explains our goal explosion.

I thought almost every goal he allowed tonight was stoppable. Even the Haula goal, which he looked like he just missed it with his glove, though that one was forgivable. I didn’t think the Smith goal was bad, which they’re crediting to Nico.

Goal 1 was the “He was screened” Blackwood special from Miller and the second Miller goal went right through him.

These are the kinds of goals that not just I would be having a cow over if they went into the back of our net.

But since they went into the back of the other team’s net, I’m sure they were a gutsy display of character and heart. Which really turned one of the lousiest efforts of the year into a far closer game than it should have been.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Vitek needs the rope cut at this point.

Yeah, Daws let in a couple of weak ones tonight, particularly later on in the game, but at least he faced 45 shots or something.

This is what Vitek normally looks like when facing 32-35 shots.

I mean, Vitek almost lost us last night's game against a team that had almost no chances. He probably had a good chance at a shutout last night.
Dude stop already. Sad to say he's easily our best goalie option and he's going to take the lionshare of starts going forward and any 'rope cutting' is just ridiculous talk.

Dawes let in far more egregiously awful goals in his last trio of starts than Vitek's entire season. There have been bad Vitek goals but that wraparound tonight and the five hole tonight and last game should be sending Daws back to Utica.

For the first time I'm legit thinking that Fitz makes a move that sends one of our D prospects, a goalie and maybe a pick for a solid unspectacular vet D and a vet goalie reclamation minute eater or salary dump. Or signs some garbage like Halak.

Reactions: Bosskarelli

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Dude stop already. Sad to say he's easily our best goalie option and he's going to take the lionshare of starts going forward and any 'rope cutting' is just ridiculous talk.

Dawes let in far more egregiously awful goals in his last trio of starts than Vitek's entire season. There have been bad Vitek goals but that wraparound tonight and the five hole tonight and last game should be sending Daws back to Utica.

For the first time I'm legit thinking that Fitz makes a move that sends one of our D prospects, a goalie and maybe a pick for a solid unspectacular vet D and a vet goalie reclamation minute eater or salary dump. Or signs some garbage like Halak.
What about the two on Vitek last night? That could have been a shutout.

Those two were arguably worse than anything I’ve seen this year on Devils goalies. He almost lost us that game against the worst team in the league on two, cheap, lousy goals.

At least we were outplayed in this one and Demko’s horrible goaltending tonight kept us in it and made the score much closer than it should have been.

And yeah the wraparound and one other goal tonight sucked on Daws.

Pretty sure Halak is done. If Daws is sent back then our only option is Schmid again. The two vets (Kinkaid and Kallgren) have been horrible. Like Vitek bad at the AHL level.

Reactions: Dialamo

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
What D prospects are on the table for you?

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Demko stunk in this game worse than Daws did. Which explains our goal explosion.

I thought almost every goal he allowed tonight was stoppable. Even the Haula goal, which he looked like he just missed it with his glove, though that one was forgivable. I didn’t think the Smith goal was bad, which they’re crediting to Nico.

Goal 1 was the “He was screened” Blackwood special from Miller and the second Miller goal went right through him.

These are the kinds of goals that not just I would be having a cow over if they went into the back of our net.

But since they went into the back of the other team’s net, I’m sure they were a gutsy display of character and heart. Which really turned one of the lousiest efforts of the year into a far closer game than it should have been.
The Devils scored some nice goals tonight. Who cares it the goalie can see the shot ? Maybe he wants 1 or 2 back but the Devils scored some nice goals tonight and yesterday too. That's something they can take away from this game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Devils scored some nice goals tonight. Who cares it the goalie can see the shot ? Maybe he wants 1 or 2 back but the Devils scored some nice goals tonight and yesterday too. That's something they can take away from this game.
I honestly don’t want them to take anything away from this game other than they came out and laid the biggest egg of the year other than maybe the @ Detroit game. The first 35 minutes of the first game against Columbus, which was the next game after the Detroit one was also on par with this one.

This was awful. They deserved nothing out of this game.

Shots were like 31-6 at one point. Score effects were the reason that pace didn’t sustain itself. This was miserable.

And was there really anything nice about tonight’s goals other than the Haula one? Maybe the second Miller one?

Point shot on goal 1 and deflection on goal 4?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kind of funny how they’re so secretive about injuries, but he came right out and said Jonas is not okay and he broke his foot.

I think the only time they’re ever up front about injuries is when they’re really long term. Like when they announced Dougie was having surgery only days after he last played. Last year they did give us the Palat update and timeline pretty quickly after he got hurt and left the lineup. Same with the Jack injuries back in 2021-2022.

Reactions: My3Sons

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Nah, I still hate the thirds. The Hat hat, though...

Nemec and Luke are going to average 25 minutes if this keeps going. I'm all for it, particularly if it's a lost year.

But I don't know man. That we're still a playoff team despite injuries, horrific goaltending and collective play that's not in the building of the best of last year...The rest of the league should be frightened, frankly.

Last edited:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Devils have one more back to back. Bet the house against the Devils. At least you’ll make some coin. We want to blame our goaltending, which is reasonable, however, the team play in the first period was brutal and we do need a better defensive system. That’s why Ruff has to go.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
They are too chaotic in their own zone. It’s in the name “swarm”, but it feels like they work hard for little reward and it leaves the team gassed.

I felt like there were multiple games where they started slow and then you have games where they played great but lay an egg in the 3rd.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Kind of funny how they’re so secretive about injuries, but he came right out and said Jonas is not okay and he broke his foot.

I think the only time they’re ever up front about injuries is when they’re really long term. Like when they announced Dougie was having surgery only days after he last played. Last year they did give us the Palat update and timeline pretty quickly after he got hurt and left the lineup. Same with the Jack injuries back in 2021-2022.

Chico said it on the radio post show, it's not something you can hide cause his foot is going to be in a cast.

Reactions: Bleedred

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

The team played 10 minutes in front of the goalie at most and we are going to blame the goalie....I agree the wrap around was a killer but the guys on the ice allowed him to skate right by them and through them....

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The team played 10 minutes in front of the goalie at most and we are going to blame the goalie....I agree the wrap around was a killer but the guys on the ice allowed him to skate right by them and through them....
The wraparound sucked, but shots were like 31-6 at one point before Demko started leaking, which got us back into the game.

That 31-6 was when the score was either at 3-0 or maybe 3-1 after our first goal.

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
Hate to knock Toffoli but he seriously has zero wheels when he gets a breakaway which was a squandered opportunity last night. He had the lead when the puck hit his tape but they closed in immediately.

Like Shanahan, great addition for special teams but awful generation of speed, especially while coasting or even worse a standstill position.

Reactions: My3Sons

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Hate to knock Toffoli but he seriously has zero wheels when he gets a breakaway which was a squandered opportunity last night. He had the lead when the puck hit his tape but they closed in immediately.

Like Shanahan, great addition for special teams but awful generation of speed, especially while coasting or even worse a standstill position.
He’s at his best in scoring position, usually doesn’t miss except for lately

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Devils have one more back to back. Bet the house against the Devils. At least you’ll make some coin. We want to blame our goaltending, which is reasonable, however, the team play in the first period was brutal and we do need a better defensive system. That’s why Ruff has to go.
Don't we have like 7 more back to backs?

Unless he is willing to sign some ridiculously team friendly deal, like 3 year $9mil, and even the 3 years would be a concern, I wouldn't bring him back.

He is exactly what I didn't want Holtz to turn into, and luckily isn't.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
honestly feel like toffoli has been dragging hughes and bratt down. he has no mobility whatsoever and i expected him to be more physical. if you want a slow guy with a shot id rather have holtz on their wing at this point.

he’s good on the power play but 5v5 i keep expecting plays to die on his stick

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I wasn't in the discussion last night, and I'm not one to go off on officiating.

But that was literally one of the worst missed calls I've ever seen in hockey. In a big spot too.

Story of the game last night was how tired we looked early, and that missed call. Maybe throw in that Garland goal.

Didn't watch post game, any mention of it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Satans Hockey

Homedresser

Proverbs 26:4-5
Dec 7, 2021
Luke Hughes. Rookie. Prob going to best Severson's top goal and points totals.

Severson: making rookie mistakes for seven years.
Luke's not without his faults. For an NTDP alum, U of M and top 5 draft pick, his lack of defensive zone awareness is head scrathing. The rink turns, the drive byes, the poke checks and one handed swipes as well as getting completely lost on net front coverage needs a lot of improvement. Sometimes his game mirrors Sunday night mens league at Floyd Hall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad