GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Florida Panthers

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Matt Shaw was the man behind one of the best PP coaches of the past 5 years. Adam Oates ran one of the best power plays in the league in Tampa. I don't think coaching has anything to do with it anymore.

It's all personnel, as in: ours won't take open shots even if begged to.

DangleSnipeCelly

Formerly KupsforKovy
Jan 30, 2010
Rockaway
Matt Shaw was the man behind one of the best PP coaches of the past 5 years. Adam Oates ran one of the best power plays in the league in Tampa. I don't think coaching has anything to do with it anymore.

This!!!

I remember Shaw saying his PP is more of a shooting PP unlike Oats who was a perfect play PP. This team just doesn't shoot enough on the PP for Shaw's system to work. Definetly the players, not the coach

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Oates is using the same static PP that drove us mad in Washington... now they're the top ranked unit currently running at 24.5%

Now there's a new coach, new system... and the PP% is still hovering around 17%.

apice3*

The biggest issue with our PP is the lack of a big body good at screens and deflections. It's something this team hasn't had in forever. Zubrus is our best at it, and he's been out.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Bernier and Clarkson had/have been doing a pretty good job of it - the main issue is zone entry (usually because of a faceoff loss) and trying to get set up.

Even if they do get set up...

A lot of the PP futility has come from not even being able to get a solid shot on net.
Doesn't mean much if the goalie is screened or not when he doesn't even have to fight off a puck.

I see what they're trying to do out there, but unfortunately so do other teams.
They're moving the puck, but they're moving it too slowly and telegraphing too much to make it effective.

All they do is keep the PKers in the box shifting from side to side until one of the defenders can pounce on the puck and clear it.

If they can get quicker, crisper passing - they can do a lot more damage.
But that's something they've even struggled with a bit ES.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
With Ilya out, the main problem now is going to be the blueline IMO. That could get ugly but you'll be done if you're psychologically ready for that already.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I'm fine with Greene/Zids/Sal holding the point.

Keep a guy with some wheels like D'ags or Henrique up top to try and minimize the damage of any breakaways when Zids inevitably blows point coverage.

Sal is not a thoroughly welcome option, but so long as no one's relying on him for zone entry... I think he'll be one of the safer options.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well, they did finish 11th on the PP that year, so it was pretty solid.

Funny thing is they went from a top 10 PP in 2001-02 to dead last in 2002-03. And we all remember how both of those seasons ended.

They were also first in the league or at least top three through half of the '09/10 season then plummeted in the second half :laugh:

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
If Salvador is really on our PP we are screwed for that PP shift, its essentially a 4v4 still with Salvador covering for SHGs.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Actually you're under a hell of pressure when you play the PP point, it's a very specific position, probably unique. Elias is experienced and a great stickhandler but when he replaced Ilya on the PP (5g injury) last year that turned into a real mess. I don't see any defence-man on this team really capable to handle this underrated, ungrateful task. But that's just my opinion and I'd love to be proven wrong.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They pretty much have no choice but to put Larsson out, unless they do something outside the box like putting Zajac on the point. Which was one of the few things that actually worked during the MacLean disaster.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
they should start out by putting Harrold in Kovy's spot and leave everything else the same

Greene and Larsson on the 2nd unit.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
they should start out by putting Harrold in Kovy's spot and leave everything else the same

Ya something like that. Pretty much just mix and match those 4 on the units and see what sticks the best.

Harrold and Zidlicky out there at once sounds cardiac arrest inducing.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Of the remaining deficiencies in Larsson's game , the majority of them are up for being exposed on the powerplay. I might be one of the few hesitant to put him out there.

If we're going to try for a random forward - I wonder how Henrique would do.
When he's out there, he's usually the guy covering the point when one of the d pinches down low.

I think he's more valuable creating havoc somewhere between the dots - but there's going to be a lot of experimenting with Kovy out for a while.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
it seems they're trying to make Larsson sound defensively before unleashing his offense side

and I am fine with that. hes 20 and hasnt even played 100 games yet. these things take time.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
They pretty much have no choice but to put Larsson out, unless they do something outside the box like putting Zajac on the point. Which was one of the few things that actually worked during the MacLean disaster.

Zajac on the point isn't a bad idea. I'd be ok with that. But then, who's going to win the faceoff?

I think this is something that could work, and they might try it. Greene-Larsson works well at even strength, they might as well try it on the second unit and see what happens.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I wouldn't mind seeing Zajac back there on the PP. He can distribute the puck, has a good shot and is responsible. For some reason I remember him playing there a few seasons ago and looked good.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Zajac on the point isn't a bad idea. I'd be ok with that. But then, who's going to win the faceoff?

Let them do their goofy take twenty seconds to circle everyone around system after Zajac wins the faceoff to get him onto the point, at least the usual endless circling around would make some sense in that case :P

I wouldn't mind seeing Zajac back there on the PP. He can distribute the puck, has a good shot and is responsible. For some reason I remember him playing there a few seasons ago and looked good.

That was during the final weeks of MacLean. It actually worked, it was probably the best stretch the power play had under Oates here. Then Lemaire took him off the point, the PP stopped working and I was so ticked off :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad