GDT: New Jersey Devils v. New York Rangers 7PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I actually though Salvador had a decent game by his standards. That's not exactly good, it's just not awful.

He had to cover a lot of Zids mess ups. It is why as a pairing they don't make sense.

Zids can get way to irresponsible with his passing or attempts to cover a guy and Sal just isn't fast enough to cover those mistakes and looks foolish for it.

He played the one 2 on 1 (that Zids caused) pretty well, but it was lucky he had already went back or Cory would of been alone.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So does Greene and yet I haven't heard you criticize him once

Frankly, Greene, Sal and Zids have not been pulling their weight compared to Merrill, Severson and Gelinas. I have far more confidence in any combination of the latter than of the former and that's sad.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Oh bull ****...

They broke down a bunch of the previous pp goals and the forwards missed assignments on every single one of them.

if youre going to tell me you dont have a problem with Salvador on the PK then I dont want to hear anything else you have to say.

Camille the Eel

He was very good tonight...he goes behind the net and constantly wins the battle for the puck, he's always in good position and I can't recall a single instance of the typical rookie wandering and getting lost in his own zone...

Severson has been great. He has been and was tonight far better than Andy Greene. Think about that for a second.

I couldn't agree with you more. Larson was very solid tonight. If you want to hold anyone accountable, bench Zidlicky for a game or two and let him think about it. And whoever said it's the penalty kill that's killing us right now is absolutely right.

THAT said, everyone is totally over reacting to this loss - but that is the nature of fandom. We are off to a decent start and not tanking the season in October like last year. DeBoer is not the problem either. Let the team sort out the lineup and fix the PK and keep on competing.

The Rangers are a damned fine team you know, and well settled into a system they play well. Nash looks like one of the top players in the league right now, when he is not suffering from post concussion syndrome like last year. But we went toe to toe with them tonight and basically fought to a draw.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Frankly, Greene, Sal and Zids have not been pulling their weight compared to Merrill, Severson and Gelinas. I have far more confidence in any combination of the latter than of the former and that's sad.

I agree with this, and the most alarming part is Greene because he needs to be our number 1, and our best PKer. The current formation calls for Sal to stay in front of the net, so Greene has to be the mobile one and he is getting caught or is just plain weak on his man way to often.

OOOOIIIO

Binary
Jul 25, 2010
Nashua, NH
Devils are not playing good hockey. People seem to be accepting their sloppy play and horrid defense because the team is scoring and keeping games close. We can say its early in the season and the team is just settling in... but so is every other team in the league. We are not a playoff team with this defense, not this year.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Criticizing Sal tonight is ridiculous. I've been hard on Sal at times like anyone else, but tonight he was fine. He was actually pretty good. One of our top 3 d-men of the night, I'd say.

Larsson hardly played "well" or "good", but didn't necessarily play bad either. Still had some breakdowns, attempted clears that didn't leave the zone, and wasn't particularly spectacular on that play 2 seconds into the game.

His ice time tonight was likely the product of it being his first game of the season, against a good team, with a ton of speed. Handling teams with speed like the Rangers has been his issue.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I feel like there are only a few posters who actually analyze a player's performance on a game to game basis here. Too many posters throw out blame when the player didn't even have a bad game. Zidlicky and Greene are the two guys to blame for this game. Then after that a combination of Deboer, Zubrus, and Clowe.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
if youre going to tell me you dont have a problem with Salvador on the PK then I dont want to hear anything else you have to say.

I don't at all. He is far and away the best pk defenseman on the team.

It really isn't even close.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Brunner might be a good fit on the top line. Too bad we have to keep a guy up there, who has 1 point in 6 games this season. But I thought Zubrus was injured last year? Stick a fork in him, he's finished.

He needs to produce more than 1 point every 6 games. This is the pace he produced at for the end of last season. That's why I complain about him so much.

He needs to be on the 4th line until there are injuries. He's not doing squat offensively.
I'm not going to say he's finished, but zero points and -6 in his last 5 games. He can not be in amongst the top 9. He can't be out there with Clowe in OT.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I watched that segment on the pk with dano. He was literally circling Salvador.

Every one of those examples the other team played the puck down low toward Salvador. They are clearly attacking him because he can't skate anymore.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Devils are not playing good hockey. People seem to be accepting their sloppy play and horrid defense because the team is scoring and keeping games close. We can say its early in the season and the team is just settling in... but so is every other team in the league. We are not a playoff team with this defense, not this year.

:laugh:Accepting their sloppy play I don't see that in this thread.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't at all. He is far and away the best pk defenseman on the team.

It really isn't even close.

Been on for 7 of the 8 PP goals we've allowed this season.

He was on the ice for all three regulation goals tonight.

He's ****ing trash. Stop regurgitating the same comments from years ago, it isn't 2012 anymore.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Criticizing Sal tonight is ridiculous. I've been hard on Sal at times like anyone else, but tonight he was fine. He was actually pretty good. One of our top 3 d-men of the night, I'd say.

Larsson hardly played "well" or "good", but didn't necessarily play bad either. Still had some breakdowns, attempted clears that didn't leave the zone, and wasn't particularly spectacular on that play 2 seconds into the game.

His ice time tonight was likely the product of it being his first game of the season, against a good team, with a ton of speed. Handling teams with speed like the Rangers has been his issue.

Larsson needs to play A LOT more in order to get a grasp on his game and shake off the rust.

So he'll definitely be benched on Friday.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I'm going to make a prediction right here and now: Larsson gets dealt by the deadline. And for a pittance.

There I said it, do with me what you will.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Brunner has played well, but I'll wait and see how long this lasts. He's had Gelinas-itis. String some good games together, then string together a set of games that look like he's falling down a flight of steps all night.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Absolutely. Hr was very good tonight... but once s narrative starts it never ends...example: Zubrus...he sucked last year... he has been very good this year but the same old meme continues.

HolikHoliday16

May 3, 2010
New Jersey
Thoughts:

I would rather have Gelinas out there over Larsson. His decision making with the puck did not cost us anything, but he did not contribute to the plays. instead, his involvement would slow momentum down or lead to a turnover. On the defensive side he did sufficiently cover his men, but I see what many posters are talking about with his lack of speed.

Clowe just seemsed like a selfish player when he had the puck tonight. Constantly tryingn to force the shot on goal instead of attempting to pass or shoot the puck around the boards. I do like his physical game, but this really stood out to me tonight.

I think Ryder played a really complete game tonigt. Had good board work, puck control and even back checked. Also surprised to see him out on the point during one of those power plays.

Brunner had a great game, you could tell that he really wanted to make an impression tonight. Glad that he got some shifts with the elias line at the end, he looked good and I hope to see more of him.

Had no problems with rutoo or gio.

Elias is hard to criticize, but he has looked lost all season and isn't exhibiting his keen sense of awareness. His countless icings, lazy passing and inability to finish is dissapointing to watch. Sadly, this has been one of his better games this season.

Biggest issue is our PK. This is making me think that we should bring in josefson to take on some PK minutes and relieve some minutes from top fowards who have to spend their energy trying to kill penalties.

PP is fantastic to watch, love the new zone entry with the foward setting up for the drop pass while the D rushes the zone.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Nevermind that we lost a 2 goal lead in the last period, never mind that Elias,Greene,Ziddy all played bad games, What we need to ask oursleves is, what the HELL were the coaches thinking when they put Zubrus and Clowe out during the OT??????????????? What idiot in there right mind would think to themselves, "Hey heres a great idea, lets put the two slowest/limited skilled forwards on the ice for a 4v4." I could understand putting one or the other on with a faster, more skilled player such as Henrique or Elias but no...just god damn no. Im tired of these mistakes that DEBEOR is making. Forget the team, we have talent, just HORRIBLE leadership. I gave our coach some leeway last year but this is just getting ridiculous.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory hasn't been good this year. A lot of weak goals so far. I didn't have a problem with any of the goals tonight though. Did the game winner go through him? If it did, that was definitely a bad goal. I think it went over though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad