Seravalli: New Jersey Devils have been after Boeser for a few years now.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
As much as Vancouver fans don't want to admit it, Boeser and his 7.5 million dollar qualifying offer is a problem for them, not a big enough problem to do anything crazy but enough of a problem that they shouldn't get a massive package for him.
Regardless, he is a good player and you won't be getting him without giving up someone you likely don't want to give up.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Holtz is the guy I would want in a Boeser deal. Zacha is not going to cut it as the main piece.

The thing is, the team may simply value that opened up cap space a lot. In this market, freeing up 4.5 million is not chump change. If you can get 80% of Boeser at less than half the cost, that's so much bigger than people on here admit. And frankly, the last two years, Zacha has been just as productive when it comes to even strength and 5 on 5 performance.

I'm not saying it's a good deal for you guys, but if this deal was Zacha + a small extra something, I could understand the impetus for doing it even if I thought the value was poor for the player Boeser is in a vacuum

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
As the reports roll out, this sounds more and more like the new regime in Vancouver is just shopping every player beyond the obvious few and hoping some team overpays.

i think this is true, but i think the motive is to keep buyer gms off balance in terms of the team's options and true intentions. there are too many names out there for the other gms to keep up with the gossip or the permutations. even if they collect good intel on the market for a particular targeted player, they don't know what other moves the team might make that could take their particular target off the market.

so i think the primary goal is to sweat teams who would otherwise try to wait the canucks out.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
o i think the primary goal is to sweat teams who would otherwise try to wait the canucks out.
I agree. With respect to the Devils this would not be effective. One of their principal owners stated they are following a medium to long term plan. That strategy should be effective with teams that are in the playoffs this year and place a higher value on next season.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I agree. With respect to the Devils this would not be effective. One of their principal owners stated they are following a medium to long term plan. That strategy should be effective with teams that are in the playoffs this year and place a higher value on next season.

they wouldn’t be sweating NJ. It would be to try to force a TB or some other playoff team to make an overpayment. I think the reality is he’s a rental to most teams. I’m sure if a playoff team offered a first and a B prospect that VAN would retain to Get a deal done. My guess is NJ is the only team that has made any real offer and VAN is trying to leverage that to another team.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Zacha for Boeser + a 2nd is awful value for the Canucks. If no one trades for Zacha, is he even going to be qualified by NJ?
same question for boeser.

at least nj has the cap space to sign zacha long term at the value of the qualifying offer.

does vancouver has the required cap space LT for a boeser extension?

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
same question for boeser.

at least nj has the cap space to sign zacha long term at the value of the qualifying offer.

does vancouver has the required cap space LT for a boeser extension?

Yes. They just need to move a player like Miller or trade some lesser players like Dickinson for scraps or even add a pick.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Yes. They just need to move a player like Miller or trade some lesser players like Dickinson for scraps or even add a pick.
which is a worse scenario, if i follow the rumours correctly.

rutherford would like to keep miller
rutherford doesn't want to send out draft capital

so keeping boeser over picks and miller will be evaluated.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It's not my hot take. I have seen this mentioned on the NJ sub so at least some in your fanbase feel this way.

I'm sure there are, there are fans in every fanbase that hate certain players.
I've seen absolutely nothing that supports this narrative in the slightest, literally the only thing I've ever seen about the Devils not qualifying Zacha was one dude from Vancouver.

Reactions: Hisch13r

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
Okay, so now 1 dude from Vancouver and 1 random HF poster.... must be a fact.
I'm pretty sure AfroThunder396 doesn't speak for all Devil fans nor does he speak for the Devils organization, but I guess I could be wrong

You are being ridiculous with the strawman. First, you insinuated I lied. When I showed you proof that I didn't, now you are going to strawman and falsely accuse me of saying that view is representative of the entire NJ fanbase, something which I never claimed?

It's not my hot take. I have seen this mentioned on the NJ sub so at least some in your fanbase feel this way.

This was my original comment. I said "some", not "all". I did see his comment posted on your sub, which led me to think that "some" in your fanbase feel this way. I never said or implied that your entire fanbase felt that Zacha shouldn't be qualified.

Okay, so now 1 dude from Vancouver and 1 random HF poster.... must be a fact.
It's a "fact" that a fan posted on your boards with that opinion. Oh, and you are also a "random poster" and your opinion doesn't trump his.

I'm pretty sure AfroThunder396 doesn't speak for all Devil fans nor does he speak for the Devils organization, but I guess I could be wrong

Strawman when it's something I never claimed. Trying to be snarky when you don't understand basic logic doesn't make you look smart here.

Please learn to actually debate without resorting to fallacies like personal attacks (accusing I lied when I didn't) and strawman ( trying to refute an argument by replacing the subject).

Reactions: Canuck Luck

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
You are being ridiculous with the strawman. First, you insinuated I lied. When I showed you proof that I didn't, now you are going to strawman and falsely accuse me of saying that view is representative of the entire NJ fanbase, something which I never claimed?

This was my original comment. I said "some", not "all". I did see his comment posted on your sub, which led me to think that "some" in your fanbase feel this way. I never said or implied that your entire fanbase felt that Zacha shouldn't be qualified.

It's a "fact" that a fan posted on your boards with that opinion. Oh, and you are also a "random poster" and your opinion doesn't trump his.

Strawman when it's something I never claimed. Trying to be snarky when you don't understand basic logic doesn't make you look smart here.

Please learn to actually debate without resorting to fallacies like personal attacks (accusing I lied when I didn't) and strawman ( trying to refute an argument by replacing the subject).

I don't know if you are intentionally misunderstanding what I'm saying or if I'm not communicating well. It was never my intention to imply you were lying, in fact when you said some fans here don't want to qualify him, I said " I'm sure there are, there are fans in every fanbase that hate certain players"
this was me admitting that some fans feel this way,
I've never once said anything even close to a personal attack, and I apologize if you feel that was my intention.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I get the age part of that it you're building for 3-5 years down the line (Severson is 27 now), but the "too expensive" part is pretty off base. It's a little over 4 million through next year. That's a really nice value
I believe the thought was that after next season Severson needs a new contract, and the Canucks are looking to get younger and shift their competitive window down the line a couple years, so we trade away the the 24-25 year old winger for a defender that will be 29 and in need of a new contract once the Canucks are hoping to be competing for a cup. This is piss poor asset management for a team that has come out and said their biggest needs are picks, prospects and cap flexibility.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
I don't know if you are intentionally misunderstanding what I'm saying or if I'm not communicating well. It was never my intention to imply you were lying, in fact when you said some fans here don't want to qualify him, I said " I'm sure there are, there are fans in every fanbase that hate certain players"
this was me admitting that some fans feel this way,
I've never once said anything even close to a personal attack, and I apologize if you feel that was my intention.

I am not trying to intentionally misunderstand anything. Look back at what was posted. I said I saw someone posted on the Devils board about Zacha is not worth qualifying and that it wasn't a hot take that I randomly came up. You proceeded to say you have never seen that at the slightest and the only time you saw that view was from me which felt like you were implying that I was lying.

I then proceeded to show you the comment that I saw. You then suggested that I claimed the entire fanbase felt this way. This was never my argument. I was just simply trying to show you the comment I saw exists. If it makes you feel better, I think the majority of the fanbase wants to qualify Zacha, although many don't seem to value him highly. You said you would move him for a reclamation project here.

Value of: - Pavel Zacha

If you never meant it as a personal attack, we can just call this a misunderstanding and move on. Life is too short to bicker over something like this. Cheers.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
I believe the thought was that after next season Severson needs a new contract, and the Canucks are looking to get younger and shift their competitive window down the line a couple years, so we trade away the the 24-25 year old winger for a defender that will be 29 and in need of a new contract once the Canucks are hoping to be competing for a cup. This is piss poor asset management for a team that has come out and said their biggest needs are picks, prospects and cap flexibility.

Trading Boeser for Severson would be a Benning move - trying to go all-in again to make the playoffs. TBH, I don't think the Canucks and NJ make good trading partners. Both are nowhere close to contending so why rush it. Canucuks especially need to get younger because they are many years away from contending. It would take a while just to clean up Benning's mess.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I think Vancouver fans will be disappointed with the Boeser return. Yes he was very productive in the past, but teams are going to be trading for the value they provide in the future as opposed to what he's already done.

He's expensive, having a down year, and doesn't seem to fit in with Rutherford's vision. All of those things make him less valuable and more expendable.

2019 Boeser? Yes absolutely, he'll get an unprotected 1st and a bluechip prospect. 2022 Boeser? That's a completely different asset.
20/21 Boeser went for 23 goals and 49 points in 56 games. In a full season thats 34 goals and 72 point pace. Not saying he would have hit those numbers but that is what he produced as in the shortened season. To say 2019 Boeser had value but 22 Boeser not so much seems pretty uninformed.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
We're going to have to settle for a deal like this unless Boeser is willing to signed for something like 6m x 5.
A 2nd round pick and a prospect that might play 200 games in a bottom 6 role is the best the Canucks can do? If that's the case you keep him, because that return is a 2nd for Vey, or McCann and a 2nd for Gudbranson bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad