Seravalli: New Jersey Devils have been after Boeser for a few years now.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
No, I understand that you have the winger. Devils 2nd would be the main piece in the trade, because it is almost a late 1st.

I just looked at Nolan's stats and he's not doing so well in the AHL though...

Would the Devils add McCarthy to get the deal done?
Foote is playing very well the past 11 games. He was hurt and recovering from injury last season and COVID / injuries really limited his games played . Looks like he is picking up production now but it’s only been 11 games . We have a few prospects like him that should project into top 9 forwards like Clarke (Brants brother ) and others that had their development slowed down recently .Take your pick of any forward prospect not named Holtz Gritsyuk Stillman .

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Great post. 1,000 likes if I could. Why get the team capped out while they are picking in the top 10 every year?
Isn't that a scenario where it's more palatable, not less? You have the potential for impact players on ELCs to fill out the roster. I also don't think Boeser alone caps out the Devils, especially if they move Severson.

I'm not fully gung ho on Boeser to NJ, but I get the thinking. Devils need some bona-fide goal scorers.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
1198194.gif
Lmao you’re beyond clueless if you think that’s funny. Yikes man :help: :help:

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Lmao you’re beyond clueless if you think that’s funny. Yikes man :help: :help:

In a vacuum, it'd be fine. I think that you're going to have a tough time getting that in this market though. I just don't know why a team like Arizona or Buffalo are making that kind of move just yet and good teams at the bottom of the first likely don't have the cap space. I simply don't know if there's going to be a demand big enough to drive the value given contract constraints.

We will see though.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
In a vacuum, it'd be fine. I think that you're going to have a tough time getting that in this market though. I just don't know why a team like Arizona or Buffalo are making that kind of move just yet and good teams at the bottom of the first likely don't have the cap space. I simply don't know if there's going to be a demand big enough to drive the value given contract constraints.

We will see though.
And that’s a fair point. Not sure why the other poster has to be two years old and laugh?

Reactions: Forge

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Isn't that a scenario where it's more palatable, not less? You have the potential for impact players on ELCs to fill out the roster. I also don't think Boeser alone caps out the Devils, especially if they move Severson.
Teams should only be capped out if they have a winning core IMO. Picking in the top 10 every year clearly shows the team does not have a winning core. I never said Boeser alone caps out the Devils.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Just a thought. Wouldn’t Devils fans rather see Bratt’s next contract before the Devils take on Boeser. Their salaries are piling up. After this season:

Hamilton- 6 years $9M AAV
Hischier - 5 years $7.25M AAV
Hughes- 8 years $8M AAV
Bratt-? (He’s probably getting a contract in the $6-8M range).

Realistically, that’s almost $40M invested in 5 players if the Devils get Boeser, almost 50% of the cap. I’m not saying the Devils are strapped if they get Boeser, but if they are wrong about him and have an albatross contract of 6 years $7.5M, things are going to tighten up very quick cap wise.
Subban's 9.5 is off the books this year

Johnsson's 3.4, Bernier's 4.1, and Tatar's 4.5 are off next year

And Zacha's 2.25 would be going the other way

Mercer and Holtz will be on ELCs for the next 2 and 3 years, respectively.

I'd offer Boeser something like 5 x $8M, he gets more than he's making right now and a chance for another big UFA contract at 30. The Devils should be competitive during that time with some really nice ELCs giving them awesome value, meaning they can overpay in other places.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
As the reports roll out, this sounds more and more like the new regime in Vancouver is just shopping every player beyond the obvious few and hoping some team overpays. First it was Miller, then Garland, then Boeser, then it was Dickinson, now its Myers. The names are getting less interesting and the lack of talk suggests that the Canucks asks are high and given the tight cap most teams have there just aren't suitors. Bad teams don't turn their fortunes around with a Boeser. He's a good player and will help but he's expensive, possibly a rental, and has something of an injury history. The Canucks may just be best served keeping him and then paying the QO and trading him next season as a true rental if they won't take the rental value now. Maybe the team plays well next season and they challenge for a playoff spot and he can be a self-rental that way.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
As the reports roll out, this sounds more and more like the new regime in Vancouver is just shopping every player beyond the obvious few and hoping some team overpays. First it was Miller, then Garland, then Boeser, then it was Dickinson, now its Myers. The names are getting less interesting and the lack of talk suggests that the Canucks asks are high and given the tight cap most teams have there just aren't suitors. Bad teams don't turn their fortunes around with a Boeser. He's a good player and will help but he's expensive, possibly a rental, and has something of an injury history. The Canucks may just be best served keeping him and then paying the QO and trading him next season as a true rental if they won't take the rental value now. Maybe the team plays well next season and they challenge for a playoff spot and he can be a self-rental that way.

This feels like exactly what's happening, their floating names and hoping someone takes a big swing

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

I'd offer Boeser something like 5 x $8M, he gets more than he's making right now and a chance for another big UFA contract at 30. The Devils should be competitive during that time with some really nice ELCs giving them awesome value, meaning they can overpay in other places.
5x8 for Boeser is an awful deal. 30 goal/60 point wingers are not worth that. His comparables put him between 6 and 6.5 million tops.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

8 mil is a big mistake.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Boeser/Severson swap with some pieces attached makes too much sense imo
I'm not sure if it makes too much sense for the Devils. I know they need scorers, but I don't know how they can replace both Severson and Subban (but especially Severson). But if Fitz has a plan how to fix that hole, I would consider this.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
Holtz is the guy I would want in a Boeser deal. Zacha is not going to cut it as the main piece.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
I doubt they'd even consider Holtz for Boeser straight across
Fair enough. Personally not interested in trading Boeser with Zacha as the main piece. I think if the Canucks were interested in Zacha that Boeser was never the piece they were moving for him. If I am trading Boeser I want Holtz. Maybe more pieces involved but that would be who I would be targeting.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
That last one. A second or a prospect and a third-is. That's what I see. It may not be enough from Van and I get that, but it should not be more. Guess we will see.
Zacha for Boeser + a 2nd is awful value for the Canucks. If no one trades for Zacha, is he even going to be qualified by NJ?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Fair enough. Personally not interested in trading Boeser with Zacha as the main piece. I think if the Canucks were interested in Zacha that Boeser was never the piece they were moving for him. If I am trading Boeser I want Holtz. Maybe more pieces involved but that would be who I would be targeting.
If not holtz than mercer/ 1st… which also seem to be off the table too.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Zacha for Boeser + a 2nd is awful value for the Canucks. If no one trades for Zacha, is he even going to be qualified by NJ?

Why does anyone think NJ wouldn't qualify Zacha? It make zero sense.
I think Vancouver would be more likely to pass on Boeser's 7.5 million dollar qualifying offer than NJ walking away from Zacha at 3

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

As much as Vancouver fans don't want to admit it, Boeser and his 7.5 million dollar qualifying offer is a problem for them, not a big enough problem to do anything crazy but enough of a problem that they shouldn't get a massive package for him.

Reactions: HBK27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad