Prospect Info: New Jersey Devils 1st Round Pick: C Michael McLeod

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
We'll see. Never want to dismiss any kid but I think that there were better players available at our pick.

Shocked that this is the takeaway.

Devils had a tough field to pick from but I like McLeod because he fits their organizational philosophy.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The two things he seems to really need to work on is his shot, and slowing down.

Seems he is definitely working on the second part, learning when to change the pace as going full speed all the time won't always work.

His overall skating is apparently top notch. Passing is really good. His overall game is really good and he is a really hard worker.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
a center, fastest skater in the draft, great at faceoffs, great 2 way player

sounds like a 2nd line center. I will take that.

That could very easily also describe a 3rd line center as well. Seems like a guy that could be either a 2nd or 3rd line player. Remember reading that his offensive upside isn't exactly the highest.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I've heard some people say he's close to NHL ready, but I really think it would be in everyones best interest to let him develop at least a year, maybe two. He's obviously got to polish off some of his offensive game. If Zacha had to wait then so should McLeod.

I do like the idea of a smart, fast, responsible center who can win big draws.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
He was one I always figured would fit perfectly next to Zacha whether on the right wing or Zacha on LW and him at C. Their speed and passing and Zacha's shot perfectly compliment each other.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Leave him in juniors all of next season.
They will have an older and better team, he should be able to put up a lot of points with Nylander

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The top-10 was pretty much a worst case scenario for us. McLeod + an extra 3rd is probably the best we could have done. He's got tons of sped and fair skill, now we've got to develop him right.

This pretty much sums it up. The top 10 shook out in a way that completely hosed NJ.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I've heard some people say he's close to NHL ready, but I really think it would be in everyones best interest to let him develop at least a year, maybe two. He's obviously got to polish off some of his offensive game. If Zacha had to wait then so should McLeod.

I do like the idea of a smart, fast, responsible center who can win big draws.

I've read that too, but another year in juniors makes plenty of sense. He is apparently starting to learn how to slow his game down so no reason to rush him there.

Hopefully he upgrades his shot to adequate.

His passing is slick from what I've watched and I'm reading it is considered really elite and he has great IQ.

For those who thought we needed to take Barzal because we needed a playmaker.

Well we now have a playmaker.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Definitely feeling a bit underwhelmed with this pick, but I would've felt that way no matter who they chose with the available options. Just a tough spot to be in at #11 in this draft. It's too bad one of the top 10 teams didn't like Brown enough to grab him earlier.

This guy definitely has some wheels, and it's hard to argue against putting a premium on speed. Regardless he's a Devil now so I'll be cheering for him to have a successful career.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The important thing is we need both finishers and playmakers and it's hard to find a player that can do both.

Would love for the kid to develop a stronger finish but if he becomes a strong ES playmaker I think we did really well.

We have guys in the system and a ton of draft picks to add other wingers that can come in and finish.

Boosh is another guy off the top of my head that could work well with McLeod.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Definitely feeling a bit underwhelmed with this pick, but I would've felt that way no matter who they chose with the available options. Just a tough spot to be in at #11 in this draft. It's too bad one of the top 10 teams didn't like Brown enough to grab him earlier.

This guy definitely has some wheels, and it's hard to argue against putting a premium on speed. Regardless he's a Devil now so I'll be cheering for him to have a successful career.

Really thought Brown was going to go in the top 10. If he did, we more than likely get a prospect with a lot more offensive upside than McLeod.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
The important thing is we need both finishers and playmakers and it's hard to find a player that can do both.

Would love for the kid to develop a stronger finish but if he becomes a strong ES playmaker I think we did really well.

We have guys in the system and a ton of draft picks to add other wingers that can come in and finish.

Boosh is another guy off the top of my head that could work well with McLeod.

Other than Zacha, we have no real goal scorers or high end offensive talent. It is still a significant concern. I think Boucher doesn't last that long here, but that is for another thread...

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
I will say that I like the way they've built the depth down the middle over the last few drafts. Zacha, McLeod, Quenneville is a lot of size and a good amount of skill. Remains to be seen whether any of those guys can be a true game-breaker, but there's some definite promise for improvement over the current C depth...

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
My brother's first thought is that McLeod could be good with Miles Wood. Lots of speed. I love the direction Shero's taking us in.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Other than Zacha, we have no real goal scorers or high end offensive talent. It is still a significant concern. I think Boucher doesn't last that long here, but that is for another thread...

We have no real playmakers either.

We need guys that can make flithy passes just as much as we need guys with flithy shots.

This kids speed and skating is also top notch.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
We have no real playmakers either.

We need guys that can make flithy passes just as much as we need guys with flithy shots.

This kids speed and skating is also top notch.

Hes more of a playmaker but filthy passes? McLeod doesn't have a high offensive ceiling based on reports. Not sure he is going to be one of the high end offensive guys that creates a lot of offense.

I like his speed for sure, but the limited offensive upside is not ideal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad