Prospect Info: New Jersey Devils 1st Round Pick: C Michael McLeod

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
would've much preferred Brown, but I'm ok with this too. the quicker we dump zajac down on the 3rd or4th line where he belongs, the better

McLeod probably won't be ready to play in the NHL until Zajac is a 3rd liner, at least with any luck and provided we don't rush him.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Very good feeling on this kid, not who I wanted but they were gone already so this was the next best forward option for us.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
We literally have no playmakers.

I think this makes Zacha a winger, tbh. Not to mention most already saw him as one, comparable to Hossa but a bit more physical (Zacha that is).

Steal of the draft IMO, and as Steve said, fastest skater with size. Perfect for Hynes.

I just completely disagree with this. Zacha has proven to me that he's a center at the NHL level. I've watched a lot of him, and his playmaking is supremely underrated. He's the best playmaker we have, easily.

To me this solidifies a one-two center setup of Zacha and McLeod in the future. I think that's pretty solid, especially since they're both very good two way players.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I'm not saying McCleod will be a bust, but I just think in 3-4 years we'll be bemoaning the fact that they could have had Brown. Not only that, but why does a team with absolutely no finishers on their roster take a speedy set-up man? He's just not a good fit. Brown is that immovable beast you park in front of the net to knock the puck in, something the Devils have lacked for years.
Funny, I would say we have a lot of finishers (Henrique, Palmieri, Boucher, Probably Zacha) but literally no playmakers outside of an aging Cammalleri and an unproven Blandisi. A player that can create with the puck is what we need.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Kyle Woodlief from Red Line Report's summary of McLeod:

12. New Jersey Devils - C Michael McLeod. The big, swift skating center that every team covets. Defensively responsible center has an impressive blend of size, outstanding skating ability, and hockey IQ. Has dominant speed, agility and quickness to easily beat defenders off the rush. Outstanding east-west lateral movement; very clean edging. A precision passer who will hold onto the puck that extra second to make the right play. His hockey sense and playmaking ability are top-notch, and he sees the ice very well. But his shot is weak and he’s a crest shooter who lacks a finishing touch. Tenacious on the forecheck and plays an effective three-zone game with his ability to change direction rapidly and read the developing play. Very strong on draws. A complete player and safe bet to play in the NHL for years with his speed and all-around game.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Kyle Woodlief from Red Line Report's summary of McLeod:

12. New Jersey Devils - C Michael McLeod. The big, swift skating center that every team covets. Defensively responsible center has an impressive blend of size, outstanding skating ability, and hockey IQ. Has dominant speed, agility and quickness to easily beat defenders off the rush. Outstanding east-west lateral movement; very clean edging. A precision passer who will hold onto the puck that extra second to make the right play. His hockey sense and playmaking ability are top-notch, and he sees the ice very well. But his shot is weak and he’s a crest shooter who lacks a finishing touch. Tenacious on the forecheck and plays an effective three-zone game with his ability to change direction rapidly and read the developing play. Very strong on draws. A complete player and safe bet to play in the NHL for years with his speed and all-around game.
Faster Zajac is his upside given this report.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
a center, fastest skater in the draft, great at faceoffs, great 2 way player

sounds like a 2nd line center. I will take that.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
Everyone who is low on Mcleod... Watch the CHL top prospect game. He dominated and was electrifying. He got an injury late in the season that may have caused his stock to go down as well as his average showing at the U18s as he was top 10 for most the year. He fits in like a glove in what type of game the devils are wanting to play. He drives the play and makes things happen on his own. He reminds me a little of Larkin without the scoring ability but with better playmaking and is a natural center. I would think hynes would be really pushing to get this guy. I wanted Brown and was disappointed but he is the better fit for this team. We can always trade for more offensive players but don't expect much as we are preparing for life after the expansion which we should be in great shape for.

DanteDevilsHockey

Jun 21, 2016
North Jersey
Logan Brown does not fit our coaching style and system, I am very glad with Mcleod over Brown. And we got another 3rd for it, hopefully move that for Yakupov.

Completely agree. Brown consists of a lot of talent and I wouldn't of minded him, but as you mentioned he doesn't fit the system despite his coveted raw talent that any organization would welcome with open arms. McLeod however fits the system, quickly drawing comparisons from Travis Zajac from many Devils fans. Hopefully in 4-5 years we can say he surpassed the Zajac comparisons and lived up to the Ryan Kesler comparisons he drew from Pro analysts on draft night.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The top-10 was pretty much a worst case scenario for us. McLeod + an extra 3rd is probably the best we could have done. He's got tons of sped and fair skill, now we've got to develop him right.

ChicoEatsNachos

Jan 14, 2016
Little Ferry NJ
All I knew about McLeoud before tonight was what I read in his allaboutthejersey.com prospect profile but watching highlights and reading other things I am cautiously optimistic about this pick. He's super fast and we know how incredibly important speed is.

He has plenty of time to work on his shot and even if it never becomes super elite we need a good playmaker to feed our finishers.

We weren't going to a franchise player at 11 or 12. This seems as good a use of the pick as any given who had already been taken.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Was sour on the pick at first but I really like the pick the more I think about it. Not a lot of options at our pick and McLeod is going to be an NHL player. I dig it.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
13501612_10153561707797466_7341197920247059348_n.jpg

:laugh:

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I think McLeod needs to work on his short game a little. Every highlight of him is just him blowing past the defender, which is great, but he needs to develop a little more to be effective at the next level. The good news is that he put up pretty good points on a team that wasn't very deep, that's definitely encouraging.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We'll see. Never want to dismiss any kid but I think that there were better players available at our pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad